Resolve 17 won't start

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mabel1989

Resolve 17 won't start

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi, I have an urgent problem. After importing 4K 30 FPS clips and generating proxy media, resolve crashed.

I did not manage to write error message. Now I cannot start the program at all (after restart and shut down.)

Windows 10, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz, 16,0 GB RAM, Nvidia Gforce RTX 3060

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 17 won't start

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 8:27 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Mabel1989

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 8:42 am

Hi Dwaine thanks for help,

link si:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f57874 ... 753/bbdb98

btw 27 clips were importing at once, it crashed when it finnished importing.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 6:24 pm

It looks like when your system crashed, your Resolve config.dat file was corrupted. That's preventing Resolve from starting.

In a File Explorer window, go to this folder:

C:\Users\mabel\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

This is a hidden folder, so you may need to change your File Explorer Options to show hidden files/folders.

Once you get to that folder, delete the config.dat file.

Launch Resolve. It should work now. It will generate a default config.dat file. The default cache and stills folder is stored in that file, and may not be the same as what you previously had selected.

To verify/fix that, open Resolve Preferences. Select System - Media Storage (that's probably what it will open on). The first path in the Media Storage list is the default path for cache and still files. Make sure the location shown is correct, and change it if needed.

If you had made any other Resolve Preferences changes, check them as well, as they might have reverted to default settings.
Dwaine Maggart

Mabel1989

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 6:16 am

Thank you. It's fine now. :)

mechanicus

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi Dwain,

I had the same issue. Sometimes I need to force quit Resolve because it hangs or is intensely slow (working in Fusion that is).
After a force quit (the tracker in fusion freezes the system when you manual stop) I waited ages for Resolve to pass the last 5% of loading. Sometimes it stays on 98% but most of the time on 95%.

So I deleted the config.dat and Resolve loads again. But that said I can't do a think.
The UI is messed up and Resolve is not responding.

Working on the latest update btw.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 17.16.39.png
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 17.16.39.png (510.65 KiB) Viewed 849 times
--
M1max
64GB/8T

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 4:36 pm

If you can access the Resolve Help menu when it's in that state, select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop".

If you can't access the Help menu, then do it as soon as you restart Resolve and load a project.

Send us the log.

Also do a Project Export of that project, and send us the .drp file.

If the .drp file is too large to attach, put it on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file. Since you are a new'ish user, you might not be able to post a URL. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't see it as a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

mechanicus

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi Dwaine,

When I start Resolve and open try to open my project it fails freezes and I have to force quit.
Then when I start. Resolve again open another project, close that project and open the first project again it opens without delay.

I attached all you request for.
https://we.tl/t-4p116c0ugz
--
M1max
64GB/8T

Return to DaVinci Resolve