What else ???

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Videobegin

What else ???

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 6:22 am

hello,
Beside standard video workflow (including cameras, standard conversion, switcher, recorders, Presenter), what is the most usefull tool or equipment you added to your OB vehicule or mobile record unit ?

Do you have a piece for on the field work, that allows you to answer customer demands or add resilience ?

Asgeir Hustad

Re: What else ???

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 6:34 am

I found a printer was surprisingly often useful, to print set lists, rundowns, signs etc.

Also, a decent 4G internet setup that lives in a tiny pelicase has saved me tons of hassle and a few shows when the local internet access is borked, and no house techs are available outside business hours. Also invaluable just to provide a separate internet access for general computery.

Robert Schemitsch

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 am

A printer and a fully equipted VMIX-Machine ;)

Oh, and my girlfriend organizing food and coffee ;)

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 11:00 am

Robert Schemitsch wrote:Oh, and my girlfriend organizing food and coffee ;)

Vmix machine with a Decklink 8K card!! But That last one is definitely the most important addition to your set!!

Without that we would drop mid show.. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

robertsmu

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 3:47 pm

The most useful tools I have added are a Tektronix WFM5200 waveform monitor and a DSC Labs GrayScale CamAlign Chip Chart. Using the chipchart with the double diamond and lightning displays of the Tektronix allows me to color match multiple cameras very quickly and accurately.

I've been on shows where the tech hired as the "shader" struggled for 45 minutes to color match a handful of cameras with basic scopes and by eye. And then you add in the producers and the directors with their opinions for fine adjustments.

The scopes don't lie!

Tobias Dieterich

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 7:41 pm

robertsmu wrote:The most useful tools I have added are a Tektronix WFM5200 waveform monitor and a DSC Labs GrayScale CamAlign Chip Chart. Using the chipchart with the double diamond and lightning displays of the Tektronix allows me to color match multiple cameras very quickly and accurately.

I've been on shows where the tech hired as the "shader" struggled for 45 minutes to color match a handful of cameras with basic scopes and by eye. And then you add in the producers and the directors with their opinions for fine adjustments.

The scopes don't lie!

Same here... love my WFM5200 (and DSC labs chip chart) :D
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:19 am

one to add and is a must is Intercom
Johannes

Howard Roll

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:one to add and is a must is Intercom

+1.

10 years ago I bought a personal set of Dave Clarks and had a 4 to 5 XLR adapter made for Com to RTS. Pre Covid how many times have you seen somebody cleaning headsets? I'm not a clean freak by any stretch but sharing com can be gross.

Honorable mentions;

Task Seating
Small Table
Hammock (festival guys know what I'm talking about)
Snacks

Good Luck

Videobegin

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 11:56 am

hello,

I must admit that I did not thought to some propositions before (hammock, a girl for coffee...) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for pointing to Tektronix WFM5200. Just ask if it's worth the cost as directors always want to have the last word...

robertsmu

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 6:32 pm

Videobegin wrote: Just ask if it's worth the cost as directors always want to have the last word...

For me it has been (I got mine on ebay and it came with the 3G option). All my other traditional scopes are more cumbersome... good information, but do not let you adjust with the speed and the confidence of the lightning and diamond displays...

https://www.tek.com/how-to/camera-match ... ment-video

Return to Live Production