Questions regarding an audio / rig setup for BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

goodluckdesigns

Questions regarding an audio / rig setup for BMCC

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Hello everyone, I am a proud new owner of a BMCC M4/3! Setting up the rig for this camera is much different then any other camera I have done before. Mainly because of the audio setup. I am looking into this product (BeachTek DXA-BMD Audio Adapter for Blackmagic Cinema Camera) which can be found at Adorama. The point of this is to adapt the audio jack on the BMCC into a normal XLR output.

What do you guys do for audio? Should I just skip over this all together? I also own a Zoom H4N and was looking into getting a plate and adding it to my rig, but the thought of all the extra time to sync the audio is just not the best option. Does the BMCC record good audio to the SSD? More so should I try to adapt the native audio to XLR?

Another issue is if I use this Beachtek device with my BMCC it will raise the height from 6inches to 9.75 inches which will put the lens out of range for the matte box.. Do you have an adjustable matte box you may recommend to overcome this issue?

Any info is appreciated and I look forward to seeing some responses!
Good Luck Designs

dominicb003

Re: Questions regarding an audio / rig setup for BMCC

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 11:58 pm

I've got the Beach Tek setup and it works fairly well. I had hoped to get slightly more range volume wise as to get decent levels on my mics I pretty much have to put everything up to full whack, going to test a few other mics to see if this issue is resolvable. I'm personally not a fan of the H4n after loosing recordings due to dead batteries especially when using phantom powered mics, I would much rather have the audio safely on the video recording.

goodluckdesigns

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 12:34 am

dominicb003 wrote:I've got the Beach Tek setup and it works fairly well. I had hoped to get slightly more range volume wise as to get decent levels on my mics I pretty much have to put everything up to full whack, going to test a few other mics to see if this issue is resolvable. I'm personally not a fan of the H4n after loosing recordings due to dead batteries especially when using phantom powered mics, I would much rather have the audio safely on the video recording.

So, that is really my main concern with the H4n is losing audio due to SOME issue.. Its tough to tell a client the video is great but we have no audio, its easier to say "hey we have to shoot it all over again!".

now, I don't expect to have to go through that situation. Its good to get info from an owner. I currently use a RODE NTG2 shotgun mic for my audio recording. Can you give me some information as to what mic you use with your setup? Do you find that it comes loose when attached to the tripod or rig that you have? Im sorry for all the questions, I am just desperately looking for any info I can.
Good Luck Designs

goodluckdesigns

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:04 am

It seems like many people have viewed, but have no advice to offer. Anything Audio related would help me, As I am really looking for more info.
Good Luck Designs

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:47 am

hi goodluckdesigns,

guess many people just rely on recording audio on an extra device as do I (using a Sony DCP D50),
but for a cheapo atmosphere-soundtrack and/or audiosync-reference I got ok audio-results with a Rode NTG-2 plugged directly into the BMC running on firmware 1.21.

The internal mic is horrible as it captures mostly the camera's fan noise, you still can use it as an atmo-track in an loud environment though (lorries on streets etc).

The audio topic has been widely discussed so you might do some search on the forums here and have a look at Frank's blog as well

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/201 ... c-cameras/

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/201 ... ma-camera/
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 8:43 am

If you are a DP, then be a DP, if you need professional audio then hire a professional, If you are an "Independent Film Maker", then you need enough money for all three on a budget, Camera's lighting and audio.

If you want professional audio while shooting with a BMD Cinema Camera then do not buy junk!
and Do Not Attempt to Record primary audio to the Camera only, You need a Sound Devices MixPre-D and record to a professional recording device of your choice period!
Even JuicedLinks new preamp for the BMCC does not have the ability to monitor audio via headphones, and it's not even released yet WTF JL? being a Audio solution you should have a Headphone jack so that we can monitor Audio? just get a Sound Devices MixPre-D and rest assure
your audio is clean period.

goodluckdesigns

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:If you are a DP, then be a DP, if you need professional audio then hire a professional, If you are an "Independent Film Maker", then you need enough money for all three on a budget, Camera's lighting and audio.

If you want professional audio while shooting with a BMD Cinema Camera then do not buy junk!
and Do Not Attempt to Record primary audio to the Camera only, You need a Sound Devices MixPre-D and record to a professional recording device of your choice period!
Even JuicedLinks new preamp for the BMCC does not have the ability to monitor audio via headphones, and it's not even released yet WTF JL? being a Audio solution you should have a Headphone jack so that we can monitor Audio? just get a Sound Devices MixPre-D and rest assure
your audio is clean period.

Darryl, thank you for your answer. Is the Sound Devices MixPre a brand of product? As i'm not familiar with what you are talking about. As far as classifying what we do, Independent cinematography / production, I usually hire a sound guy but were working our way into doing it on our own.
Good Luck Designs

goodluckdesigns

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:59 pm

gmf wrote:hi goodluckdesigns,

guess many people just rely on recording audio on an extra device as do I (using a Sony DCP D50),
but for a cheapo atmosphere-soundtrack and/or audiosync-reference I got ok audio-results with a Rode NTG-2 plugged directly into the BMC running on firmware 1.21.

The internal mic is horrible as it captures mostly the camera's fan noise, you still can use it as an atmo-track in an loud environment though (lorries on streets etc).

The audio topic has been widely discussed so you might do some search on the forums here and have a look at Frank's blog as well

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/201 ... c-cameras/

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/201 ... ma-camera/

you rock. thank you so much.
Good Luck Designs

Jules Bushell

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 1:44 am

The important thing to note is that the JuicedLink is an active pre-amp and the Beachtek is passive.

The latter won't amplify above the level coming from the mic and so for firmware 1.3 or newer, the BMCC pre-amp levels probably be much too low to be useful and you won't hear much coming out the head phone to monitor.

I use the Beachtek on firmware 1.2.1 and getting pretty clear/loud recording. Similar set-up on 1.3 or newer and I couldn't hear hardly anything 'cause record levels were too low, so had to downgrade the firmware back again.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Fred Trevino

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 am

Jules Bushell wrote:The important thing to note is that the JuicedLink is an active pre-amp and the Beachtek is passive.

The latter won't amplify above the level coming from the mic and so for firmware 1.3 or newer, the BMCC pre-amp levels probably be much too low to be useful and you won't hear much coming out the head phone to monitor.

I use the Beachtek on firmware 1.2.1 and getting pretty clear/loud recording. Similar set-up on 1.3 or newer and I couldn't hear hardly anything 'cause record levels were too low, so had to downgrade the firmware back again.

Jules

Let me get this straight, with the juiced link 366 there is no way to monitor the sound you're recording? And this is because of the firmware? It has 3 audio outputs. Can't you plug in headphones into one and the other two for the 1/4" into the camera? I'm thinking of buying it and just want to be sure it's reliable beyond the current 1.4.1 update.
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

Jules Bushell

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 5:26 am

FTColorist wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:The important thing to note is that the JuicedLink is an active pre-amp and the Beachtek is passive.

Jules

Let me get this straight, with the juiced link 366 there is no way to monitor the sound you're recording? And this is because of the firmware? It has 3 audio outputs. Can't you plug in headphones into one and the other two for the 1/4" into the camera? I'm thinking of buying it and just want to be sure it's reliable beyond the current 1.4.1 update.

You want to monitor what the camera is recording. Either use the headphone connected to the camera, or if you want to check it using meters, the camera has no audio meters so you'll have to use SDI output to e.g. an EVF that has.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Fred Trevino

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 6:28 am

Thanks!
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1