Upgrade catastrophe !

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Leo bolanos

Upgrade catastrophe !

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 6:13 am

I really could use some advice here....
I recently started using my blackmagic camera with a PC. I formated my sdd cards using macdrive and did some shooting tests. plugged the sdd back to my pc and copied the files to my hard drives. Easy. Then, I upgraded the camera software to 1.4. I went out and did some shooting for a job. came back with the sdd cards filled with clips, and.... my pc can´t recognize the sdd card !!! :o
Macdrive don´t see the sdd either. I just can´t afford to format the card again a loose my footage. any ideas of how I can save my videos ? This just happened after I did the software upgrade...

Nikolay Smirnov

Re: Upgrade catastrophe !

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 8:29 am

If you have an access to a mac os computer use it. Helps me.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Christian Horne

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 am

Can your computer detect the SSD at all? Or are the files on the drive available but the clips inside the folders unavailable?

Björn Sonnenschein

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 9:13 am

You could also try to read the Files using a Fedora livecd. It is free and supports the mac filesystems as far as I know. http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
www.milloghmey.de

Haavard Helle

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 9:47 am

I had the similar issue, we used a Mac to offload to external drives on set, and these drives were exfat formatted, but they did not work on my Windows workstation when I came home.

Both Windows and OSX have a rather appalling exfat implementation.

I dual boot with Linux as well, so for me accesing the drives were no problem. You may have to add some exfat or HFS packages for Linux support before mounting the drives and depending on the distribution you might also need to sudo mount -o force for it to work. All depends on the level of security for regular users, etc.

So all your data is safe, no need to worry.

JorgeDeSilva

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 8:23 pm

First: Why are you using macdrive? You don't need it! Format the SSD in ExFat it works great!
Second: Even if you format you will not loose the information on the SSD (or any hardrive). You will loose if you write again on them...

My recommendation is trying again macdrive (the latest version), even in trial.... just to see what happens. If that does not work, try to fid a MAC. If even with that does not work, you can recover the ssd with a lot of softwares. I recommend this ones: http://www.r-studio.com/ or ReclaiMe File Recovery Ultimate (i love this one for its simplicity, and they even have a FREE raid recover)

Best,
JDS
Jorge De Silva - Photography & Filmmaking
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1843499/

Jayson Klimek

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Download a free program for windows called "format any drive" it will format the drive the way you want it. Sometimes windows doesn't play nice with Mac drives with hfs. It's probably the master boot record. Just needs to be rewritten

Jayson Klimek

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 11:34 pm

I didn't see the part about not wanting to lose your data. Sorry

Alexander Arndt

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 1:38 am

i could recommend using a programm called "Parted Magic".

Return to Cinematography