Hdr setup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thefilmaddict

Hdr setup

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:49 pm

I own resolve and the 4k ultra studio mini. Can I grade in HDR and see an actual HDR image coming out of the studio mini via hdmi or Sdi? If yes, do you guys know of an affordable hdr monitor that I can buy? It doesn’t have to be big. The footage would be coming from the ursa 12k. I would deliver to YouTube. The monitor doesn’t have to be super accurate, but not horrible.

Marc Wielage

Re: Hdr setup

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 10:45 pm

Please don't post the same message multiple times.

The short answer is that you can't put the words "HDR" and "budget" in the same sentence. Doing HDR or Dolby Vision right requires a high-performance calibrated display. You can't do it cheaply.

HDR displays (even very modest ones) start at $5000, and the "real" grading displays are north of $20,000. If I were you, I'd live with trying to do Rec709 well, and just get something like a LG OLED and calibrate it for Rec709. Ten years ago, it was almost impossible and very expensive just to do that. Be glad it IS possible to do that today. HDR is very, very hard to do, especially when you're trying to do it right.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

thefilmaddict

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:26 pm

I only posted once, but I hit the submit button multiple times while waiting for awhile. I was posting from my phone. There was a big delay. Sorry about that.

So does the 4k ultra studio mini output hdr?

It’s just for YouTube. It doesn’t have to be perfect. I’ll probably buy a cheap hdr monitor and see what happens.

JonPais

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 12:40 am

thefilmaddict wrote:I own resolve and the 4k ultra studio mini. Can I grade in HDR and see an actual HDR image coming out of the studio mini via hdmi or Sdi? If yes, do you guys know of an affordable hdr monitor that I can buy? It doesn’t have to be big. The footage would be coming from the ursa 12k. I would deliver to YouTube. The monitor doesn’t have to be super accurate, but not horrible.
The answer to all your questions is 'yes'. This should help you get started.

https://daejeonchronicles.com/2021/03/0 ... 17-part-i/
https://daejeonchronicles.com

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 1:26 am

calibration is not even mentioned seriously.....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

JonPais

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 1:38 am

waltervolpatto wrote:

calibration is not even mentioned seriously.....
There is a note at the bottom of the page with a link to the article on calibration using Calman software.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.42.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.42.22 AM.png (106.38 KiB) Viewed 5479 times

thefilmaddict

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 3:20 am

JonPais wrote:
thefilmaddict wrote:I own resolve and the 4k ultra studio mini. Can I grade in HDR and see an actual HDR image coming out of the studio mini via hdmi or Sdi? If yes, do you guys know of an affordable hdr monitor that I can buy? It doesn’t have to be big. The footage would be coming from the ursa 12k. I would deliver to YouTube. The monitor doesn’t have to be super accurate, but not horrible.

THANKS!!!

JonPais

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 3:21 am

thefilmaddict wrote:
JonPais wrote:

THANKS!!!
Sure thing!

thefilmaddict

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 6:21 pm

So the lg Oled is affordable (around a $1000), but it’s huge for my edit space. Keep in mind that I will be doing hdr grading using resolve and the 4k mini studio with ursa 12k raw footage. The output would be for YouTube. Would something like this work (the size is better for me):

Elvid StudioVision 4K HDMI Monitor with HDR (23.8")

That’s the size monitor I need. Thanks! I see that blackmagic sells an hdr monitor, but I think it’s around 7 inch. It’s also a recorder. Not sure that would help.
Last edited by thefilmaddict on Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefilmaddict

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 pm

I think that you tube is HLG HDR. The monitor above says with HDR. I have no idea what that means. Do you?

waltervolpatto

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 8:00 pm

thefilmaddict wrote:I think that you tube is HLG HDR. The monitor above says with HDR. I have no idea what that means. Do you?

if you dont have idea what it means.... how you can actually do a proper master for it?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

thefilmaddict

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 8:07 pm

You misunderstand me. I’m asking if you guys think that monitor will be helpful. It says with HDR. I’m not sure if that means HLG, HDR10, Dolbyvision, etc…

By the way, I’m not sure what the negative remarks are about. I’ve been editing in SDR for years. I’m slowly moving into HDR. I have resolve studio, a good camera (ursa 12k) and an output card (4k mini studio). I just need a HDR monitor that’s not super expensive and not huge to get started with — something that will show me hdr through hdmi or Sdi.

The idea that I have to be an expert before getting started or that I need to have a $20,000 hdr monitor seems kind of crazy. I’m not opening a shop and becoming a colorist. I’m just learning. Lol.

thefilmaddict

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm

And I assume most people come to this forum to learn something, get help or help others. Today, I’m here to get help to see if I can get a recommendation for a HDR monitor or television that’s around $1000 and 30 inches or less. Maybe that doesn’t exist. Maybe it does. Maybe that studio vision mentioned above will be perfect. Maybe it’s a bad idea.

Again, I appreciate the advice.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 11:50 pm

thefilmaddict wrote:You misunderstand me. I’m asking if you guys think that monitor will be helpful. It says with HDR. I’m not sure if that means HLG, HDR10, Dolbyvision, etc…

No, it won't work. HDR is very difficult and complex, and it can't be done cheaply. There are dozens of reasons why HDR and Dolby Vision don't work well with cheap displays, especially in terms of mastering.

My suggestion is that you concentrate on making good pictures in Rec709 -- which still requites a color-managed output and a calibrated display -- and eventually move into HDR when you can afford the cost of a real HDR grading display.

thefilmaddict wrote:And I assume most people come to this forum to learn something, get help or help others. Today, I’m here to get help to see if I can get a recommendation for a HDR monitor or television that’s around $1000 and 30 inches or less. Maybe that doesn’t exist. Maybe it does. Maybe that studio vision mentioned above will be perfect. Maybe it’s a bad idea.

People ask questions, we give them an answer, which is just an opinion based on experience. One of the problems with asking for free advice on the internet is that sometimes, the answers you get may not be what you expected or hoped for. But it doesn't make the advice any less true.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

2D3D4K

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 12:16 am

I realize it's more then you're hoping to spend, but I'm quite happy doing HDR grading on a 32" Dell UP3221Q. Right now, the street price is about $3,800. It has a built in Calman hardware calibrator which I think works very well. For final fine tuning, I use a 55" LG CX. In my humble opinion, it is the perfect combination for doing HDR-10 grading. The larger LG let's me see what I've done on a larger real world display device. It is a huge help.

So, bottom line is, I don't think you have to spend $20,000- $30,000 to do what you're trying to accomplish. Nor do I think you should let others try to discourage you. I think your desire to do very high quality HDR content for YouTube is quite doable, although you may need to spend more than you were hoping to. YouTube will do HDR-10 PQ and/or HLG.

Edit:
Marc- who I definitely have respect for- has suggested you stick with rec 709. No reason why you can't have/do both. My workflow at this time is doing all initial grades in HDR for my own purposes, and then converting the HDR content to rec 709 for subscription cable TV channels I create content for. The Dell monitor and LG are great for this too.
Last edited by 2D3D4K on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

thefilmaddict

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 12:24 am

That sounds very reasonable. Thank you for your reply.

thefilmaddict

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
thefilmaddict wrote:You misunderstand me. I’m asking if you guys think that monitor will be helpful. It says with HDR. I’m not sure if that means HLG, HDR10, Dolbyvision, etc…

No, it won't work. HDR is very difficult and complex, and it can't be done cheaply. There are dozens of reasons why HDR and Dolby Vision don't work well with cheap displays, especially in terms of mastering.

My suggestion is that you concentrate on making good pictures in Rec709 -- which still requites a color-managed output and a calibrated display -- and eventually move into HDR when you can afford the cost of a real HDR grading display.

thefilmaddict wrote:And I assume most people come to this forum to learn something, get help or help others. Today, I’m here to get help to see if I can get a recommendation for a HDR monitor or television that’s around $1000 and 30 inches or less. Maybe that doesn’t exist. Maybe it does. Maybe that studio vision mentioned above will be perfect. Maybe it’s a bad idea.

People ask questions, we give them an answer, which is just an opinion based on experience. One of the problems with asking for free advice on the internet is that sometimes, the answers you get may not be what you expected or hoped for. But it doesn't make the advice any less true.

Marc,

When you say “we give them an answer”, it makes it sound like you speak for everyone. You clearly don’t. Several people here have offered inexpensive hdr solutions. Of course the cheap gear isn’t going to give perfect results, but it’s fine for someone just getting into hdr (that’s at least what I am hoping). I’m sure you are very knowledgeable, have amazing gear and do amazing work, but I don’t think telling someone to stick to SDR is very encouraging or very helpful, but I understand that’s your opinion and that’s ok.

I am editor for a living. I’ve won several awards over the years. I’m not bragging, I just want you to understand that I have many years of experience in this industry. At work, we have high-end gear and very nice calibrated monitors — all for sdr because that’s what our clients still broadcast.

This cheap hdr setup is just for me to play around with at home. I think things will be just fine and I’ll learn something a long the way (I may even learn that cheap gear is worthless). Maybe some day I’ll reach your level or maybe I won’t — but I’d like to try.

Thanks for your input.

2D3D4K

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:05 am

Jason, just my opinion, but from the description of your background and experience, I don't think you'll find that doing HDR grading is that hard at all. In fact, once you develop a feel for the toolset in DR 17, you may even find it fairly easy. Definitely, not rocket science for someone who knows their way around NLEs. However, a decent display is a must- doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, but definitely needs to be a native 10 bit panel and preferably do 1000nits or so- although a good OLED which usually maxes out at about 700nits could do the trick as long as the color is good.

JonPais

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:31 am

thefilmaddict wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:

Marc,

When you say “we give them an answer”, it makes it sound like you speak for everyone. You clearly don’t. Several people here have offered inexpensive hdr solutions. Of course the cheap gear isn’t going to give perfect results, but it’s fine for someone just getting into hdr (that’s at least what I am hoping). I’m sure you are very knowledgeable, have amazing gear and do amazing work, but I don’t think telling someone to stick to SDR is very encouraging or very helpful, but I understand that’s your opinion and that’s ok.

I am editor for a living. I’ve won several awards over the years. I’m not bragging, I just want you to understand that I have many years of experience in this industry. At work, we have high-end gear and very nice calibrated monitors — all for sdr because that’s what our clients still broadcast.

This cheap hdr setup is just for me to play around with at home. I think things will be just fine and I’ll learn something a long the way (I may even learn that cheap gear is worthless). Maybe some day I’ll reach your level or maybe I won’t — but I’d like to try.

Thanks for your input.
Eugene Belsky regularly uploads HDR footage to YouTube shot with the Ursa 12K. The last time I chatted with him, he was grading with an Asus ProArt PA32UC 1000-nit monitor which I've seen going for as little as $899 over at Amazon (Renewed, which offers a 90-day replacement or refund if not satisfied).

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 7:57 am

Jason, what Marc and Walter are saying is absolutely valid for delivery to Broadcast, Netflix and cinema, where there are delivery specs that must be adhered to and there are no shortcuts with the equipment required to deliver to this standard and in that context their advise is almost universally agreed upon. For YT there are no penalties or prison sentences for using less expensive solutions and the best alternatives are some good consumer HDR sets and the other advice in that regard is valid to. The US 4K Mini will also flag HDR over both SDI and HDMI (to a proper HDMI 2.0+ input) BTW.

HDR is a minefield at the moment - I have been grading and onlining for UK broadcast in SDR for years and I find HDR, ACES etc. very confusing too, whereas I am entirely at home with SDR. One day it will settle as to how we work with HDR but that seems far off at the moment. Everything, as Marc said, is so much cheaper now - I remember paying £25K for an Avid Adrenaline BOB, without the HD card years ago alone. The only thing that is not cheaper are colour critical grading monitors. My 17" HD only monitor at home cost nearly £4K and I can not justify yet, or afford £20K+ for the work I still mainly do.

Much of the HDR content I see is variable and sometimes gimmicky, to my eyes too, a bit like 'Why does the dog...', 'because it can'. Squid game, for example, whilst an excellent series, was almost painful in exteriors, whilst a series like 'Midnight Mass', to my eye was a beautiful example of what can be achieved - very natural and almost, at times, like perfect magazine stills. Worse still are some classic films re-mastered to Dolby Vision - 'Vertigo' has been ruined IMV and is better on the HD Blu-Ray, whilst 'My Fair Lady' was brilliantly done and shows Dolby can really work for re-mastering, when done well. Too much dynamic range in picture is not natural because our eyes adjust in the real world and our ears find it difficult to 'focus' comfortably outside of a classic cinema 30db range - it can be painful for both sometimes. I think this will all settle in the next 5 years or so and I am won over to the possibilities of HDR as a new and original look in it's own right.

In short there is some good advice in this thread, there is nothing to stop you producing HDR work for You Tube and I wish you well in your choice.

thefilmaddict

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 1:43 pm

Great advice, everyone. I totally get it. If I was mastering a hdr movie for the cinema or for Netflix, these inexpensive options you mentioned wouldn’t be accurate enough. As I stated, this is just for me to get started in HDR and deliver on YouTube. I really appreciate your help!

I’ve watched a bunch of tutorials to get started. I am really excited about the new HDR tools in Resolve. It looks like they will help a lot.

I’m sure the first grades I will do will be over the top. I’ll definitely work my way up to a more natural look.

thefilmaddict

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 1:51 pm

What do you think about this LG:

LG A1PU 48" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV

thefilmaddict

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Or this one, which is $200 more.

LG C1PU 48" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV

I’ve read that some lg TVs have calibration features. Which of these would you pick?

David E King

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:12 pm

Here are some reviews that may help you find a descent (for hdr) TV... Of course their not full grading or broadcast type stuff but I think these are in the ballpark of what you might be looking for.... Now the size might be a problem but maybe you can get close with a 43 or 50 inch if they offer one.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/hdr

Good luck and let us know what you end up with and how it looks.

thefilmaddict

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:15 pm

Or do I go this route ($500 more than the cheaper LG):

ASUS ProArt PA32UC 32" 16:9 Wide Gamut IPS Monitor

This one seems more like a computer monitor. Would I feed it hdmi through the 4k studio mini?

I’m sure the consumer LG monitors can sense when it gets HLG, DOLBY or HDR 10 and can display any of these hdr flavors. Can the ASUS do the same thing?

2D3D4K

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:04 pm

There is one big problem with using LG OLED TVs for primary grading- maybe other brands too- and that is the protective algorithm they have which when connected to a computer, will substantially dim the screen when HDR content is paused for just a very short time. You then have to scroll around the timeline to a very different scene and then back again to disengage this. It can be a real pain in the ass. That's why I only use it for final adjustments and fine tuning and use the Dell UP3221Q for the initial grading. I've read some forum stuff from people who seem to say this protective feature can be disengaged if you have some device which will let you get into the service menu of the TV. But, I can't say if this is valid info or not. Although, I think I may want to explore it further in the near future.

thefilmaddict

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 3:21 pm

I went with the Asus. I found a video on YouTube where a blackmagic employee actually uses the studio mini, with a mac and that Asus monitor using hdmi to grade hdr footage — this would be my setup. That was reassuring. That being said, that monitor has mixed reviews. I would rather buy the dell, but too expensive for me right now. I think a lot of people are impressed with the LGs and use them to check their work when they are done (as been mentioned) or as cheap client monitors.

Thanks for everything.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 5:33 pm

Jason, any HDR monitor can be used if you can accept the tolerance of the monitor and how good the calibration can be mode.

Starting with consumer LG HDR and up to the infamous Sony x300/x310.

so, it "depends" upon how much quality you expect and how tight you can maintain the calibration. Having a display but no means of calibrate it closer to the specs is useless, having a 600nits display and try to do a real 1000nits master is useless as well.

having said so, decouple the monitor form the specification: HLG, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby HDR are different way to convey the signal and encode metadata in the pipe, regardless of what the monitor can do: usually you grade in HDR10 (for 1000 nots) that is the untouched signal showed in a monitor that can handle 1000nits. Then you can send that as is (amazon does HDR10), or encode the Dolby trim pass metadata for lesser monitors (Netflix), HLG is another way to send metadata with teh file to map the highlights in a monitor that cannot handle them, but IMHO is garbage.

so, as I mentioned, ANY monitor that you can CALIBRATE correctly can suffice to make a product, within the tolerances of that monitor itself, especially if yo only do stuff for yourself and dont sell to a client.

be aware, there are literally 1000 post in internet about "why my export on my resolve does nto loox right on monitor X", if you choose a non professional way to do HDR, dont expect professional results.

2D3D4K

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Regarding nits, since OLED TVs realistically max out at around 700nits or slightly above, and even then on only a small percentage of the panel, I like to grade to a max of 600-700 even though my monitor is VESA 1000. No sense in grading higher then most of the best end viewer's TVs can handle. It just invites clipping. So, at this point in time, you're probably just fine at 600nits.

Aaron_Hayden

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 7:18 pm

Below is the "cheapest" setup I would trust color grading HDR and delivering a master to network.

- Apple XDR monitor,
- Blackmagic Teranex Mini SDI to TB box
- Professionally calibrated with a custom tailored LUT loaded into the Teranex.
- About $8k-$9k costs.

Even with the above setup there are compromises being made vs color grading with a Sony X300 or HX-310.

As others have stated, if you don't have a sufficient quality HDR display (1000 nits) to grade on, your results will be disappointing...or horrible.

One idea to save costs...color grade on a calibrated rec709 monitor, then rent a Sony X300 room for a day to trim it into HDR.
SuperWorkstation 5014A-TT
Threadripper Pro 5975wx / 128GB DDR4-3200 / RTX 4090 MSI TRIO / DeckLink 8K
Resolve Studio 18.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
44 Drive Raid-10 NAS

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 pm

But if it's for home cinema only, the new Apple laptops might be a solution.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mario Kalogjera

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:09 pm

Power is nothing without control! I'd take 750 nits pixel-level control OLED over 1000 nits of vague and compromise-ridden local dimming and blooming and averaged highlights of a FALD LED non-professional display any time.
Also 750 vs 1000 nits highlights (dubious) is really not that noticable a differnence, espcially on a LED, and you can grade for 750 nits and pack it into 1000 nits deliverable.

It's just my opinion, of course.
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

mpetech

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:43 pm

I'm not sure why people are complicating this. If this is not for a DCP film distribution or network deliverable, you can do this on any HDR TV you want to use. :?
Calibrate it and be done with it.
LG / Sony OLED + Decklink that supports HDR.

JonPais

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 11:42 pm

If you're planning to upload HDR to YouTube, I highly recommend picking up one of the recent iPhones as a consumer reference display, as 99% of viewers will be watching on a mobile device, and the accuracy of the new iPhones is nothing short of astonishing and superior to most consumer televisions. In his review of the older iPhone 12 Pro, Vincent Theo of HDTVTest noted the virtual absence of dirty screen effect, banding or color tinting. Concerning color accuracy, he noted that “Apple has nailed the DCI-P3 color tracking within [the] Rec.2020 container, putting the vast majority of consumer TVs to shame, even after calibration.” After playing a selection of HDR movies on the iPhone 12 Pro, Vincent exclaims that “its HDR presentation looked wonderfully close to the 30 thousand pound Sony BVM-X300 professional reference OLED monitor,” adding that “if the iPhone 12 Pro had an SDI or HDMI input and a larger screen and a way to force engage HDR mode, I may even be tempted to use it as a grading monitor.” Vincent’s findings are corroborated by DisplayMate’s in-depth test of the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Mario Kalogjera

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 11:51 pm

@JonPais: Wonderful...how do you connect Resolve to IPhone with HDR signal?
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
BMD Mini Monitor 4K

JonPais

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 11:57 pm

Mario Kalogjera wrote:@JonPais: Wonderful...how do you connect Resolve to IPhone with HDR signal?
I'm sorry; I didn't understand your question. Could you explain?

Aaron_Hayden

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 12:41 am

JonPais wrote:iPhone 12 Pro, Vincent exclaims that “its HDR presentation looked wonderfully close to the 30 thousand pound Sony BVM-X300 professional reference OLED monitor,”

No joke, in the current Covid environment and everyone working remotely, Netflix recommends producers review HDR color/online on the latest iPad Pro with the XDR display.

I have a HX-310 to grade on, but all my producers review my work on iPad Pros via frame.io

It's not a perfect solution because there's no easy way to pro calibrate the iPad Pro's display, but it's the best off-the-shelf solution for a remote team have a consistent viewing experience.
Resolve Studio 18.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
44 Drive Raid-10 NAS

JonPais

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 12:58 am

Aaron_Hayden wrote:
JonPais wrote:iPhone 12 Pro, Vincent exclaims that “its HDR presentation looked wonderfully close to the 30 thousand pound Sony BVM-X300 professional reference OLED monitor,”

No joke, in the current Covid environment and everyone working remotely, Netflix recommends producers review HDR color/online on the latest iPad Pro with the XDR display.

I have a HX-310 to grade on, but all my producers review my work on iPad Pros via frame.io

It's not a perfect solution because there's no easy way to pro calibrate the iPad Pro's display, but it's the best off-the-shelf solution for a remote team have a consistent viewing experience.
Yes! frame.io's video review and collaboration platform is built right in to DaVinci Resolve and it supports viewing HDR on iOS and HDR-capable TVs, meaning it can be played back on an iPhone or iPad as well as through AirPlay to an AppleTV 4K or an AirPlay equipped HDR TV. Enterprise customers can play 10-bit HDR proxies on iOS only, while other plans and playback on the web support 8-bit proxies. Since I don't have paying clients, I just review clips on my iPhone 13 Pro Max once they're finished uploading to YT, but prior to hitting the button to make the videos public.

jallen0

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:01 am

2D3D4K wrote:There is one big problem with using LG OLED TVs for primary grading- maybe other brands too- and that is the protective algorithm they have which when connected to a computer, will substantially dim the screen when HDR content is paused for just a very short time. You then have to scroll around the timeline to a very different scene and then back again to disengage this. It can be a real pain in the ass. That's why I only use it for final adjustments and fine tuning and use the Dell UP3221Q for the initial grading. I've read some forum stuff from people who seem to say this protective feature can be disengaged if you have some device which will let you get into the service menu of the TV. But, I can't say if this is valid info or not. Although, I think I may want to explore it further in the near future.

This is valid. You can disable the protection using a service remote you can buy for $10.00 on eBay. Of course you then take all the liability of never leaving your monitor locked on in one place for a long period of time...as there is no protection.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Aaron_Hayden

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:18 am

Aaron_Hayden wrote:through AirPlay to an AppleTV 4K or an AirPlay equipped HDR TV.

I've had very mixed results with Airplay and HDR. Wouldn't recommend for critical viewing.

Airplay works fine from a streaming app, but when streaming from frame.io or a local HDR file, sometimes the HDR metadata doesn't translate correctly looks wrong on the Airplay device.

Viewing HDR directly on the iPad Pro is pretty idiot proof.
Resolve Studio 18.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
44 Drive Raid-10 NAS

JonPais

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:39 am

Aaron_Hayden wrote:
Aaron_Hayden wrote:through AirPlay to an AppleTV 4K or an AirPlay equipped HDR TV.

I've had very mixed results with Airplay and HDR. Wouldn't recommend for critical viewing.

Airplay works fine from a streaming app, but when streaming from frame.io or a local HDR file, sometimes the HDR metadata doesn't translate correctly looks wrong on the Airplay device.

Viewing HDR directly on the iPad Pro is pretty idiot proof.
Thanks for the input, Aaron!

JonPais

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:47 am

Here are instructions for disabling Auto-dimming on the LG CX.

1. Use service remote

2. Press INSTART then passcode 0413

3. Go down to the OLED option in the service menus

4. Set TPC Enable and GSR Enable OFF to stop auto-dimming

5. EXIT menus. Do NOT use INSTOP as it fully resets the TV to out of the box with no warning. Service remote stuff is finished now.

img_20201126_175841.jpg
img_20201126_175841.jpg (284.51 KiB) Viewed 4731 times

jallen0

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 2:02 am

I use the 2018 OLED B version right now and am looking at picking up another one. I was just looking at the OLED EVO models. Does anyone have any thoughts about them?
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

2D3D4K

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:44 am

Jon,
Thanks. I just ordered that service remote from Amazon. That will be a big help!

Mario Kalogjera

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 am

JonPais wrote:
Aaron_Hayden wrote:

Yes! frame.io's video review and collaboration platform is built right in to DaVinci Resolve and it supports viewing HDR on iOS and HDR-capable TVs, meaning it can be played back on an iPhone or iPad as well as through AirPlay to an AppleTV 4K or an AirPlay equipped HDR TV. Enterprise customers can play 10-bit HDR proxies on iOS only, while other plans and playback on the web support 8-bit proxies. Since I don't have paying clients, I just review clips on my iPhone 13 Pro Max once they're finished uploading to YT, but prior to hitting the button to make the videos public.
That's what I was asking, can you please point to more resources how to view HDR on a HDR capable mobile display device without HDMI or other video-specific connection from Resolve's timeline.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
BMD Mini Monitor 4K

cablet

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 9:20 pm

I see a lot of comments suggesting that HDR can't be done without spending $5k+ (for the display). High end grading facilities I am sure do have $20K+ displays. I just wanted to point out that I use an ASUS PA27UCX and absolutely love it for HDR grading (Dolby Vision mostly). I believe I spent somewhere in the $3500 ballpark. Also, I just finished a large ($70M+) project for Netflix and we did our color grading at a major color house in Hollywood. Previously known as Technicolor. The client HDR display we used was the LG G2 series. It's on sale this week at Best Buy for $2200 (65"). We graded and approved the show on that display. The colorist did have a Sony at her side to be fair but if I recall it was never even on during our grade. Now it was carefully calibrated and that is a large part of having an HDR (or even SDR) display. I do use Calman for my ASUS display but am not sure what the post house was using on the LG. Just thought I'd throw this out there even though this thread seems to to a year old already. Have a nice day.

rNeil H

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 10:12 pm

I've seen comments that disabling the ABL on the LG TVs knocks out most of it, but not all of it. Leave the screen on a scene, even a dim one, for more than a minute and it supposedly still slowly dims.

One person commenting thus used a high-end spectro to check the actual screen brightness. It was far less than with ABL on, but still present.

So I've been curious if others have tested and have absolutely no dimming with ABL set to off with the service remote.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm

I would suggest you visit fxphd, and check out Kevin Shaw's series on HDR. It is extremely informative, a bit numbing at times, because there is a lot of information in there. There is even a small section on simulating HDR output on an SDR monitor.
Kevin is one of the more knowledgeable people in the industry when it comes to color science and calibration. He will give you all you need to learn about HDR, PQ, HLG, 2020, all sorts of new acronyms you get to learn.

I bought the course a while ago, watched it, learnt a lot, and then stared watching it again. There is a lot to go through, whether it is dealing with trimming from HDR to SDR, or vice versa, or just starting at square one.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 9:04 pm

There is even a small section on simulating HDR output on an SDR monitor.

It's like simulating color on a black and white TV.

Please....

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 9:32 pm

It isn't designed as a workflow as such. It is designed as a way of doing the lessons without having an hdr monitor.

Its true, sometimes people who want to dip their feet in here do get chastised a bit.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve