Speed Editor bluetooth connection issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

smeijel

Speed Editor bluetooth connection issues

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi!

I've tried anything but Resolve doesn't seem to recognise the paired Speed Editor. Once I plug it in everything works just fine. When I unplug the cable and connect it with bluetooth it successfully connects. But neither Resolve or Control Panels recognises the Speed Editor.

I'm on macOS Monterey version 12.0 Beta (21A5552a).
DaVinci Resolve Studio version 17.3.2
Speed Editor Version 1.4, Build d0821c87

Maybe the Speed Editor isn't compatible yet with the new macOS Monterey?

Nikki264

Re: Speed Editor bluetooth connection issues

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 11:50 am

I’m on Big Sur and have the same problem; probably Monterey is not the problem.

michaelx

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 2:09 pm

I have the same issue. Sometimes it does not connect via bluetooth in system preferences, but the battery level still shows in Resolve and the lights are on the panel, but none of the buttons function / register.

When connected, works immediately.

csilverman66

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:29 pm

I'm on Catalina... 2017 iMac Pro... running DR17.4... and have the same issue... works plugged in... connects to computer via bluetooth, but DR will not recognize the device via Bluetooth.

However... works exactly as expected running DR17.4 on 2015 MacBook Pro/Big Sur.

michaelx

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 8:41 pm

Now after updating to 17.4 and 1.4.1 Speed Editor firmware, the STOP / PLAY button does not work. The result is the same on both my MacBook Pro (15'', late 2017) and iMac (27'', late 2019).

I've factory reset, done the CUT - SMTH CUT - SOURCE - TIMELINE reset, and rebooted.

studio1492

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 pm

Same issue here since I purchased the device months ago.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 2:11 am

michaelx wrote:Now after updating to 17.4 and 1.4.1 Speed Editor firmware, the STOP / PLAY button does not work. The result is the same on both my MacBook Pro (15'', late 2017) and iMac (27'', late 2019).

I've factory reset, done the CUT - SMTH CUT - SOURCE - TIMELINE reset, and rebooted.

Is this bluetooth related or the same with USB connected?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Likeable Media

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 pm

I have issues with the Speed Editor connecting via bluetooth on my PC too. Sometimes the Speed Editor lights up when Davinci starts but then it just fails to work via bluetooth. Other times it's been working ok then when I stop using it for a short period 5min it turns off and won't reconnect.
The speed editor needs a key to wake it up and there should be an option in Davinci to connect with it.

The speed editor works fine with a cable, but that's a pain.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 1:02 pm

To wake up the SE just press the STOP/PLAY key before launching Resolve.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

studio1492

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:To wake up the SE just press the STOP/PLAY key before launching Resolve.

Stop/Play doesn't works to me to wake up the unit.

Mi Speed editor wakes up with "Cut + Smooth Cut + Source + Timeline" ) It's 4 keys.

Also "Cut + Smooth Cut" resets the unit.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

rvaclavik

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:19 pm

Same here after update to 17.4 I was prompted to update panel to Version 1.4.1, Build 7e520cee. Bluetooth not working anymore. Did anybody found solution?

iMac 27
MacOS Montenery

TheRVAddict

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 9:28 pm

I have had similar connection issues where I can not play the timeline because the SE will act like the jog wheel has been moved and it will stop my play or scrubbing through.. the DR screen will sit on a Frame and glitch outas if someone or something is moving the playhead back and forth one frame. Also when rendering, DR will just stop rendering and pass an error with SE is connected using BT.
The only way to work around is use the USB cable.

I reported this problem months ago and the problem WAS confirmed as existing.
Perhaps it is my Windows PC or the Logitech BT dongle that i use ?
I am absolutely willing to switch to another BT dongle that Blackmagic suggests.

This issue really kills my enthusiasm that the SE brings to the program.
Any help is appreciate.

Windows 10 64bit / DR 17.4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 3:59 am

Are the issues just BT related and the USB connection is fine?

TheRVAddict

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 4:26 am

Peter, Yes Sir, problem exists only with BT.

studio1492

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 7:59 pm

USB works fine. Only bluetooth, it never worked on my two Macs since I purchased it running DVR17.3.#
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

svenphon

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 10:34 am

Same here. Resolve Studio 17.4.1, Big Sur 11.5.1 on a iMac Pro 2017, Speed Editor Version 1.02
only works with USB cable connected. Tried all the reset button pushing, but nada.
Via bluetooth no Speed Editor.
Do I have to send it back or is this a software bug which can be fixed? Hm...
Sven Giebel

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 10:57 am

For v17.4.1, you should have the DaVinci Control Panels Setup app, v 2.0.1.

With DaVinci Resolve no running. You need to install DaVinci Resolve 17.4.1 again and this time be sure to install the extras (customize install in Mac) and then update the speed editor via USB with the new DaVinci Control Panels Setup app, v 2.0.1.

Then start Resolve, and verify it works on USB.

Then remove the USB.
If the SE is not seen, from the computer disconnect the BT, then establish a new BT connection.

peterbaumann

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:10 pm

Received my Speed Editor yesterday and it's working fine over USB but Bluetooth is just not working.

Reinstalled DR17 Studio 17.4.1 using the custom install button (ticked all the boxes, only one that wasn't ticked was a Fairlight Accelerator).

Running Panels 2.0.1 the unit is instantly recognised over USB. I disconnected the USB and added the device over Bluetooth to my MacBook Pro. In the Bluetooth preferences on the Mac it connects instantly and is showing in the top menubar with my main keyboard and mouse as being connected. DR Control Panels Setup still says 'No Davinci Control Panels Found'.

Loaded DR17 to test, but none of the Speed Editor controls are functioning (no LEDs either). As soon as I connect the USB cable, the Speed Editor kicks into action in DR17 and pops up in the Control Panels Setup app. Disconnecting the USB cable causes it to it disappear again from Panels and the DR17 Control Panels tab in the Preferences - all buttons stop working but LEDs remain on.
M1 Max Macbook Pro 16-inch (2021)
OS Monterey 12.6.1
Apple M1 Max
10-Core CPU
32-Core GPU
64GB RAM

Intel MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018)
OS Catalina 10.15.7
2.6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

dare_dennis

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 8:06 pm

peterbaumann wrote:Received my Speed Editor yesterday and it's working fine over USB but Bluetooth is just not working.

Reinstalled DR17 Studio 17.4.1 using the custom install button (ticked all the boxes, only one that wasn't ticked was a Fairlight Accelerator).

Running Panels 2.0.1 the unit is instantly recognised over USB. I disconnected the USB and added the device over Bluetooth to my MacBook Pro. In the Bluetooth preferences on the Mac it connects instantly and is showing in the top menubar with my main keyboard and mouse as being connected. DR Control Panels Setup still says 'No Davinci Control Panels Found'.

Loaded DR17 to test, but none of the Speed Editor controls are functioning (no LEDs either). As soon as I connect the USB cable, the Speed Editor kicks into action in DR17 and pops up in the Control Panels Setup app. Disconnecting the USB cable causes it to it disappear again from Panels and the DR17 Control Panels tab in the Preferences - all buttons stop working but LEDs remain on.

I have exactly the same problem i received it yesterday and cant connect with BT

dare_dennis

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 12:41 pm

Ok. I have found a way after 2 days of trying out things.

I downloaded DaVinci_Resolve_17.1 installed it with SE plugged in with USB. I started the program and a pop up informed that control panel need to update SE.

I did it and it actually downgraded the version.
After that i closed everything unplugged the SE from USB and connect it with bluetooth on my iMac.

Started resolve again and the SE works like a charm with the Bluetooth.

After that i downloaded and install the latest version of resolve.

When it prompted me to update the new control panel drivers... i said no thanks and choose cancel.

Now i have DR 17.4.1 with a working Bluetooth SE

Hope it will work for you.

TheRVAddict

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 5:32 pm

MY problems with the Speed editor have gone away after purchasing an "ASUS" brand BT dongle to match the brand of my motherboard (Windows machine).
SE has been working flawless for over a week now connected only via BT.
I Hope this helps someone.

mikedkelly

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm

I have the same issue. Works fine with USB connected, but when I use Bluetooth, the lights come on but the SE is unresponsive. It is not just that it is unresponsive in Resolve, but the unit seems to be locked. Pressing SHTL, JOG, or SCRL should light the LEDs under those buttons, but it stays lit under Jog and won't change.

-----------------------
Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta 3
CPU: Intel i9-13950HX
RAM: 32GB
GPU: RTX 4090 16GB
Driver: Nvidia Studio 531.61

mikedkelly

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 7:52 pm

dare_dennis wrote:When it prompted me to update the new control panel drivers... i said no thanks and choose cancel. Now i have DR 17.4.1 with a working Bluetooth SE

I downgraded mine as well and I'm back in business. I thought that the firmware was tied to the Resolve version, so I am glad that is not the case. I think I will just stick with this SE firmware version from now on.

-----------------------

GHSteadman

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 4:49 am

dare_dennis wrote:I downloaded DaVinci_Resolve_17.1 installed it with SE plugged in with USB. I started the program and a pop up informed that control panel need to update SE.

I did it and it actually downgraded the version.
After that i closed everything unplugged the SE from USB and connect it with bluetooth on my iMac.

Started resolve again and the SE works like a charm with the Bluetooth.

After that i downloaded and install the latest version of resolve.

When it prompted me to update the new control panel drivers... i said no thanks and choose cancel.

I followed these instructions precisely on my Mac and unfortunately it fails for me. In Bluetooth mode Davinci Resolve Studio doesn't recognize the Speed Editor. I have made the connection in the Mac via Bluetooth and the Mac sees it fine. If I connect the USB cable then Davinci Resolve works with the Speed Editor just fine. The moment I pull the USB cable DR instantly stops recognizing the Speed Editor.

Frustrating...

It also seems like I can't "wake" the Speed Editor. Once the lights go out they will not come back on until I plug in the USB. If the Speed Editor is disconnected from the USB nothing I do seems to wake it. I've seen recommendations that you need to touch a key on the Speed Editor to wake it just before your launch Davinci Resolve. That's what I'm doing but no life.

TransylvanianHiker

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 12:07 am

Similar problems on Windows 10, latest Windows version / nVidia driver / SE firmware / Davinci Resolve Studio version.
I have already tried a complete reinstall, it made things somewhat more stable, but didn't completely solve the problems. Speed Editor works flawlessly using USB. When it works using Bluetooth, it works well. I use a desktop with an Asus BT500 dongle.
-Sometimes the connection is getting lost randomly (every light turns off on the SE), and I have to press the four buttons a couple of times to get it back.
-Sometimes everything works except the wheel.
-Sometimes I have the glitch, where the wheel keeps moving forward and backward continuously.
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Windows 10 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
i7-7700 32GB RAM

CtheProducer

PostMon Mar 07, 2022 6:33 pm

For me the SE works great over Bluetooth on my laptop(Zephyrus G15 running Windows 11) but does not work on my workstation (Windows 10 Ryzen / NVIDIA GPU)

Both running v17.4.5 Build 7

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 08, 2022 2:40 am

In my experience (from Mac), laptops tend to have better BT chips than some desktops.
Try a simple USB-BT dongle on the desktop.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

mikedkelly

Re: Speed Editor bluetooth connection issues - Fixed

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 11:56 pm

Either through a Windows update or several SE updates, my problem with the keyboard not connecting after a "deep sleep" has gone away. I've been rolled back to the firmware in DR 17.1 for quite a while, but after upgrading to 18.1 and using the firmware that ships with that version, the keyboard now connects after sleeping for many days.

-----------------------

bazitov

PostSun Dec 25, 2022 10:33 pm

Hi! A Mac user here.
Decided to get the Speed Editor out of the closed after a few months of rest... of course I couldn't connect via BT. Have updated to Davinci 18.1.2 Build 6 and have updated the SE to 1.4.4 i.e. the latest firmware as of today also went through factory reset, but what saved me was:
CUT + SMTH CUT + SOURCE + TIMELINE - after holding all four keys pressed for a few second - the SE appeared as a keyboard in the BT devices to connect to. The timeframe that I could properly connect was really short - thus I managed to connect on the 4th try. Also try after releasing the all 4 keys (CUT + SMTH CUT + SOURCE + TIMELINE) to press the STOP/PLAY once - not sure if it does something, but in case only pressing the 4 keys doesn't do it for you - give it a try. Hope this helps...

LeonardDelete

PostTue Dec 27, 2022 7:13 pm

Same issue here. Bluetooth worked fine for months, but now all of a sudden it does not work anymore.

Resolve Studio 18.1.2 build 6
Latest firmware on the SE
Bluetooth connection with Windows is there.
Paired the SE again
The lights turn on on the SE when I start Resolve.
The buttons are unresponsive
When I connect the USB cable, the buttons become responsive and I can use it
When I unplug the USB cable, the lights stay on, but the buttons become unresponsive again
Resetting using CUT-SMTH CUT in Bluetooth mode resets the SE, but after reset the buttons stay unresponsive.

John Lewis

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 7:26 am

I had the same problem with 18.1.2 I eventually sorted it out by uninstalling BT driver and downloading and re installing it.
PS has anyone noticed at times that Windows and Resolve disagree on Battery life left.
I9 9900k, 32mb Ram, GTX1070Ti, IP4K, ZE1OI, Bcf2000, Loupedeck CT, Resolve 18.64 SpeedEditor

LeonardDelete

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 1:46 pm

Do you mean the Windows BlueTooth drivers? The SE does connect to BlueTooth but is just unresponsive in Davince Resolve at my end.

LeonardDelete

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 9:07 am

There must be a bug since 18.1.2 on Windows 11.

This version came with a speed editor update as well. I updated Davinci Resolve Studio and the Speed Editor. The speed editor connects via Bluetooth and the SNAP and JOG LEDs are on, but it does not respond. Also trying to switch between JOG and SCRL does nothing. It just stays on JOG. When I plug in the USB cable, it instantly starts working.

With the previous version, everything worked fine. Can you please check this Davinci and create a new update for the Speed Editor?

LeonardDelete

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 9:19 am

Okay,
I managed to fix the Bluetooth connection on Windows 11. Here are the steps to follow.

1. Plug in your Speed Editor using the USB cable
  2. Go to The Black Magic Control panels app
  3. Reset the Speed Editor to Factory default
  4. Unplug the Speed Editor from USB
  5. Remove the Bluetooth connection to the Speed Editor in Windows
  6. Pair the Speed editor again (Add device in Windows)

Now it should work again. Hope this helps someone.

LeonardDelete

PostSat Jan 14, 2023 5:21 pm

Unfortunately above method (from myself) doesn't work now that I've tried it again after installing Windows 11 and daVinci again... :roll:

Sam Walker

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 1:37 pm

LeonardDelete wrote:Okay,
I managed to fix the Bluetooth connection on Windows 11. Here are the steps to follow.

Doesn't work in Win 10 either.
Latest version of Windows, most recent intel bluetooth drivers for my motherboard
Keyboard firmware 1.4.4
Resolve 18.1.4
After factory reset the SE shows up in Add a Device as Davinci keyboard, where before, it showed up as Speed Editor in the Add a Device window.
When trying to pair, all I get is "failed to connect, try to connect again", no matter how many times I try.

techiesteve

PostSat Sep 09, 2023 10:55 am

LeonardDelete wrote:Okay,

This worked for me on Windows 10 - thank you very much!

Return to DaVinci Resolve