Does there exist an auto / correction focus software?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thom Guida

Does there exist an auto / correction focus software?

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Long story short: I have avi's of 70 year 16mm film my Father shot, most of which is poorly focused or completely or near completely out of focus.

With all the progress of AI, has there been any successful development of video focus correction?

There are many loved one's kept alive in those brief moments in time that Father (RIP) captured. Many of my relatives are getting very long of tooth and I'd like to give them some smiles deep from their past which they likely do not know exist.

Thank you all in advance,

/Thom
RSD v.18.04, BMD KB & Micro Panel
Win10 Pro V21H1 OS build 19043.1889
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB
IntelNicI211 12.15.180.0/Aquantia 10TbNic
C:\Sam980 Pro NvMe 2TB on ASRock x570 Taichi MB v3.0; QNAP Cache 2TB NVMe Raid6 42TB.

Mads Johansen

Re: Does there exist an auto / correction focus software?

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:59 am

The short version: Yes, but no.
Yes: https://github.com/VladKarpushin/out_of_focus_deblur
No: When you don't have focus, then you don't have all the high frequency data and there's no ML model that can account for that in a usable manner.
Sorry, you have to resort to the sharpen OFX's
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 9:13 am

This is an area of a lot of ongoing research but answer to practical side question of "does it work" is "it depends". Nuke for example has (since version 13) pretrained ML model for deblurring but it seems to work better for removing motion blur.

Mads Johansen wrote:When you don't have focus, then you don't have all the high frequency data

That high frequency data is actually there, it is embedded in the image. Problem is separating it in usable manner, re-aquiring the convolution function that scattered the data. If this convolution were known exactly, deblurring would work. Finding that convolution is a hard nut to crack though, especially because in real world with real lenses it varies per pixel. Computational photography is very interesting field and will probably produce lots of "magic" functions in the future, especially when supported by special hardware. Coded aperture methodology for example is one way for simplifying the de- and re-focusing by forcing a partially known convolution function on an image.

Machine learning models currently (as far as I can tell) don't try to find the convolution function but rather simply "guess" the deblurred pattern from image detail. The upside is that recovered detail probably looks reasonable, downside is that you can never know if that recovered detail was actually the one that produced blurred version. It becomes important in areas like text or number detection etc, teh good old CSI "enhance".
I do stuff.

ricardo marty

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 12:05 pm

Thom Guida wrote:Long story short: I have avi's of 70 year 16mm film my Father shot, most of which is poorly focused or completely or near completely out of focus.

With all the progress of AI, has there been any successful development of video focus correction?

There are many loved one's kept alive in those brief moments in time that Father (RIP) captured. Many of my relatives are getting very long of tooth and I'd like to give them some smiles deep from their past which they likely do not know exist.

/Thom

Maybe this could help a little:

https://www.topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Thom Guida

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 2:47 pm

ricardo marty wrote:
Thom Guida wrote:Long story short: I have avi's of 70 year 16mm film my Father shot, most of which is poorly focused or completely or near completely out of focus.

/Thom

Maybe this could help a little:

https://www.topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai

Ricardo Marty

Ricardo!

YOU are now my BBF or BFF or whatever the kids are expressing with all these Acronyms from the interwebs and social media.

I tested it, the WATERMARK is the affected area which is SMALL. Topazlabs. really? At $300 it is the same cost as DRS, that quashed moving on it. Since I tested it everyone and their Brother's Mother has already entered the Xmas Season price reductions vying for the pent up availablitity of cash liquidity - and to get their cash before anyone else. Meanwhile Topazlabs has not.

I could wait, and I could die before then; no not a flip joke of poor taste. My Radio Club Brother, and one of the biggest supporters of what I do and give gratis, died Monday. Not Covid, he wasn't a sickly man. All he needed was a stent 2 weeks later and still in the Hospital, he needed bypass,then complications lead to stroke, to cardiac arrest. So why do I say this? I spend a lot of money for gear, H/S, various licensing - HUGE amount of time for the Club, on the Clubs brand - they are non-profit and I can not ask for compensation or <cough> a budget??? The mystical, magic Money Tree is not in my backyard yielding cash.

Oh, as we are a quasi-government agency in support of Comm Services to Borough and County as OEM 1st Responders in a Support role of Major emergencies. Why bring this up? As part of the .Gov certain dollar amounts force a competive bidding process, which usually takes long normally. The stuff I do they don't even have a category for. We can't ask for money. And I'm on a fixed income.

Sorry for the unloading and off-topic extrospection - it just kinda flowed. And TMI, which will likely bite me in the A$$.

May I add, the forum members here are civil, INCREDIBLY talented, creative and knowledgeable. And for that I am grateful beyond words. I don't say much here, in general, have little to offer - but certainly feel honored to be in speaking distance of such a diverse, brilliant talent pool of *Good* people. I am hoping by osmosis or proximity I can absorb what I am exposed to.

Thank you members, you are appreciated. Blackmagic and the fine employees here have pretty much made me a FanBoy for life. Yeah, good people all.
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB
C:\Sam980 Pro NvMe 2TB on ASRock x570 Taichi MB v3.0; QNAP Cache 2TB NVMe Raid6 42TB.

John Nolan

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 6:32 pm

How many, and how big, are the avis?
Resolve 18.6.5 with Speed Editor.
Mac Studio M2 Max, 32 Gb, Mac OS 14.3.1

Thom Guida

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 7:17 pm

John Nolan wrote:How many, and how big, are the avis?

Well here's the rub: What I thought were properly chronological avis, they are not. I am cutting them up and trying (with family assistance) what event is what and when.

Within any cluster of years say 1950-51, that could be 3 avis, sizings of 5-600,MG, 720 MG, 1GB.
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

bounceHouse

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 7:58 pm

The TopazLabs website does note that they have the SharpenAI part (which includes deblur) for $79 (versus the whole $299 package).
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 18.6.6 build

John Nolan

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 8:14 pm

I think Sharpen AI is just for photos.

John Nolan

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 8:19 pm

You would do well to edit things down to what you really want to sharpen.

Any process you use will be time consuming, so there's no sense in processing anything but the "choice bits."

I got drawn into a project like this with family photos. Hundreds of photos later (batch processed, but still), I think I'm the only one who's looked at them all.

ricardo marty

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 1:57 am

John Nolan wrote:I think Sharpen AI is just for photos.

Maybe if you can render your clips into jpegs then you can use topaz sharpen ai. of course it would depend on the length of the timeline and you need to be extra patience or have all the time that you need.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 6:55 am

Thom Guida wrote:Does there exist an auto / correction focus software?

No, there is not.

What happens is you wind up applying a sharpening correction on "blobby" out-of-focus material, and it just gets a little "sizzly" and strange looking. My joke to clients is, "we can't take out of focus shots and make them look good, but we can do the opposite."

I've worked with government people who say they have the technology to take blurry satellite pictures, zoom and interpolate important details like license tags and make them readable in some cases. But these aren't moving images.

I think what you're asking for is not within the realm of reality yet. Maybe someday, but they've been talking about this for 30+ years, and it hasn't happened yet. My advice would be to cut out the worst of the out-of-focus shots and keep what's left and live with that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 8:08 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I think what you're asking for is not within the realm of reality yet. Maybe someday, but they've been talking about this for 30+ years, and it hasn't happened yet.

In the last two years more has happened in this field than in previous 28 combined so what was does not project well into the future. Machine learning has brought a qualitative difference to the approach. But it probably still takes a few years to make it actually practically useful in generic ”not good, not terrible” cases, true that.
I do stuff.

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 8:21 am

While I would not (yet) suggest re-focusing by AI for a commercial project, this looks like a personal project. Topaz' program can work miracles on stills and I'd just go and try it on your footage and see what you get. You'll need to work on image sequences, though.

BTW, what law enforcement (and more hidden authorities) do is using consecutive images to reconstruct information for a still. It's not for moving images as a result, but for gaining information from such.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Thom Guida

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 3:51 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Thom Guida wrote:Does there exist an auto / correction focus software?

No, there is not.

What happens is you wind up applying a sharpening correction on "blobby" out-of-focus material, and it just gets a little "sizzly" and strange looking. My joke to clients is, "we can't take out of focus shots and make them look good, but we can do the opposite."

I've worked with government people who say they have the technology to take blurry satellite pictures, zoom and interpolate important details like license tags and make them readable in some cases. But these aren't moving images.

I think what you're asking for is not within the realm of reality yet. Maybe someday, but they've been talking about this for 30+ years, and it hasn't happened yet. My advice would be to cut out the worst of the out-of-focus shots and keep what's left and live with that.

"What happens is you wind up applying a sharpening correction on "blobby" out-of-focus material, and it just gets a little "sizzly" and strange looking. My joke to clients is, "we can't take out of focus shots and make them look good, but we can do the opposite." - MW

ROFLMAO - Marc, thank you; that gave me and continues to give me a much needed chuckle.

Marc, I was considering that till when executed I ended with a serious "WHUT" at how little content was left and that was with slowing it down "speed reduction" as it needed anyway (Father was no skilled Filmman) - I shake my head in frustration and a bit of disgust, yet still appreciate it for what it is. I can't blame the "FOCUS PULLER", there was none and well it is what it is.

Thank you for the response and personal insights, but especially the chuckle+.

I am resigning myself to much work; it wouldn't be anywhere near the reality of that/those moments.
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

Thom Guida

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 4:01 pm

Uli Plank wrote:While I would not (yet) suggest re-focusing by AI for a commercial project, this looks like a personal project. Topaz' program can work miracles on stills and I'd just go and try it on your footage and see what you get. You'll need to work on image sequences, though.

BTW, what law enforcement (and more hidden authorities) do is using consecutive images to reconstruct information for a still. It's not for moving images as a result, but for gaining information from such.

Thank you Uli.

I am receiving all this constructive guidance from Professionals with incredible depth, width and scope of experience and background and am concluding there is/will be a need for many, many tools, and skills and a larger timeline than I could have imagined.

All (readers, responders) than you all very much.
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 4:09 pm

/Thom

There are some ways, but you have to contact producers of criminal series.
They have tools out of this world- with a click of a button in 1 second they make any blurry image perfectly sharp with plenty details. You really need to check this out :lol:

Thom Guida

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 1:25 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:

/Thom

There are some ways, but you have to contact producers of criminal series.
They have tools out of this world- with a click of a button in 1 second they make any blurry image perfectly sharp with plenty details. You really need to check this out :lol:

LOL, I asked my *friends* at the NSA if I could borrow their's, the "one click - enhance solution". <I was given the eye's down answer>. Then they asked what did I have to barter. <I figured an absolute assymetrical attack was in order> "Naked pictures of your Mothers work for you?"

I got the idea from "Skunk Baxter".
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

Marc Wielage

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 8:48 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote: In the last two years more has happened in this field than in previous 28 combined so what was does not project well into the future. Machine learning has brought a qualitative difference to the approach.

I live in the real world that exists right now, not in a hypothetical world of the future. Right now, in November of 2021, my answer is 100% correct. You can wish and hope for something better, but it ain't here yet. Someday, maybe.

Uli Plank wrote:BTW, what law enforcement (and more hidden authorities) do is using consecutive images to reconstruct information for a still. It's not for moving images as a result, but for gaining information from such.

It's frustrating that for years, TV cop shows show technicians at a computer console hitting buttons, and an FBI agent leans over and orders, "ENHANCE!" And suddenly, the blurry security camera footage snaps into focus. (In the 1982 movie Bladerunner, director Ridley Scott actually had a scene where an investigator could take the camera and see around corners... which is also something we can't do. They are getting better with AI and the neural engine in Resolve can do amazing things under the right circumstances. But interpolating what a moving image should look like focused is not one of them, not yet. Topaz won't do it, SuperScale won't do it, enhancement won't do it, sharpening won't do it... nothing. Go and try it for yourself and you'll see.

What can be done is you can introduce more contrast in the scene and color correct it, and the shot might be useful in small doses. But staring at out-of-focus people for :30 seconds or more is just painful. There are no miracles to fix this... yet.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 11:32 am

It's just plain math/physics. You can't get details which are not there. You can just try guessing them- where they should be and how should look like.

Uli Plank

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 11:35 am

Our popular cops series "Tatort" (crime scene) seems more realistic. Recently they had a show where the investigators tried to identify a motor bike from recordings at night by a gas station camera. They had difficulties guessing the model, let alone the overexposed number plate.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's just plain math/physics. You can't get details which are not there. You can just try guessing them- where they should be and how should look like.

Plain maths tells that if you perfectly know the convolution function you can deconvolve an image (within some limitations). A simple simulated example of deconvolution with known kernel, left image is original, center is convolved, right is deconvolved. By any reasonable practical metric center image does not contain any detail, they are not there. Yet they are. To be more precise, image is convolved after FFT transform using frequency space multiplication and is deconvolved again also in frequency space. Done in Nuke using native FFT, invFFT and FFTMultiply nodes. Center image looks offset due to convolution kernel alignment.

To be crystal clear, rightmost image is produced from just center image and circular kernel image, with no data from original left image at all.
fft_deconvolution_example_v01.jpg
fft_deconvolution_example_v01.jpg (943.08 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Don't get all of it, but I bet this works so well only because it's simulated. In both cases perfect math is used (and math is known). It's similar to re-arranging pixels in that image and then putting them back. If you know pattern then fine, if not then it's not so easy anymore.
Show me the same with real world blurred image, where math behind "blur" is totally unknown (and it will rather never be known in real world samples).

Side not- would that cents image not encode easier, so we could gain compression on it and then recover?
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 1:06 pm

Ofcourse, this is what I wrote in my first answer already: aquiring the convolution function is the actual real problem and is very hard to do.

I don't really know if any compression schema uses this kind of logic, can't recall having heard of any.
Last edited by Hendrik Proosa on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 1:08 pm

What if we encode left image and centre image with h264 and eg CRF=15 setting.
Center image should be smaller. Then we could try recover details. I wonder how close will it be to original :P
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 1:11 pm

When center image is blurred, it produces gradually worse output until it turns into noise pattern. With visually lossless compression it should be somewhat possible, but very error prone still.

Blurring with just 2 pixel radius produces ugly artifacting:
fft_deconvolution_2pxblur.png
fft_deconvolution_2pxblur.png (73.53 KiB) Viewed 6360 times

EDIT: eh, bad example for quantization, forgot that convolved image is at that state not normalized so my quantization trials were not doing what they were supposed to be doing... Removed the example.

New example: at 16bit quantization level it looks like this (pretty bad):
fft_16bit_quantization.png
fft_16bit_quantization.png (81.75 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 2:15 pm

OK, so this is either perfect math or you get crap :P

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 2:32 pm

You can test if you're bored.
Files went through x264 compression at 10bit with CRF=15.
Org=332KB, blurred=25KB, so we gain a lot.
Lest see what output you get back from it :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 2:37 pm

This sort of enhancement is done a lot in astrophotography using stacked still images with software such as PixInsight, but I haven't seen any equivalent for video.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Thom Guida

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 5:04 am

Charles Bennett wrote:This sort of enhancement is done a lot in astrophotography using stacked still images with software such as PixInsight, but I haven't seen any equivalent for video.

Ah, YES! members in another domain do such stacking with amazin results and 95% of them appear to be hobbiests with supreme passion for what they do.

Again, most thankful for the replies.
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 8:37 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's just plain math/physics. You can't get details which are not there. You can just try guessing them- where they should be and how should look like.

What we did on CSI: Miami and Criminal Minds (for whom we did the post for many years) was, the crew would shoot "in focus" material on set, then in post we'd throw them out of focus and superimpose fake "surveillance" overlays on top of them, and later we'd undo the defocus to create the illusion that the CSI/FBI equipment could magically improve the material. But it was a lie, just a fake for TV. I wish it actually was real, but it's not.

Lost did some pretty funny stuff (and we did that show for the first 4 seasons). I once saw my old pal Peter Ritter, who did the lion's share of work on that series, take a roll of 16mm negative and roll it down the hallway and beat it up. I said, "hey! What are you doing?" And he said, "this is the secret Dharma Initiative training film. We've already transferred it clean... now we're doing the 'damaged' version." So the show had a scene where they were watching this 30-year-old damaged 16mm film clip that explained many key plot details, some of which were spliced and scratched and all screwed up. All of that was simulated in post. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors like that that goes on.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thom Guida

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 2:40 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:

What we did on CSI: Miami and Criminal Minds(for whom we did the post for many years) was, the crew would shoot "in focus" material on set, then in post we'd throw them out of focus and superimpose fake "surveillance" overlays on top of them, and later we'd undo the defocus to create the illusion that the CSI/FBI equipment could magically improve the material. But it was a lie, just a fake for TV. I wish it actually was real, but it's not.

Lost did some pretty funny stuff (and we did that show for the first 4 seasons). I once saw my old pal Peter Ritter, who did the lion's share of work on that series, take a roll of 16mm negative and roll it down the hallway and beat it up. I said, "hey! What are you doing?" And he said, "this is the secret Dharma Initiative training film. We've already transferred it clean... now we're doing the 'damaged' version." So the show had a scene where they were watching this 30-year-old damaged 16mm film clip that explained many key plot details, some of which were spliced and scratched and all screwed up. All of that was simulated in post. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors like that that goes on.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the magic of David Copperfield unravels in hear.

You all are killing me.... Damn I needed that laugh.
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 4:25 pm

Place where I worked in order to get old VHS look would actually record and capture back footage from VHS. No plug-in can be as good.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Math of fft work fine in the theory, but blurred picture also if captured uncompressed not have only Gaussian blur blending of dectails and picture, but a lots of others false infos.
I’m owner and beta tester of veia, sharpenAi, and tester of a lots of Ai project to do restoring and recovering of old shooting or recovering old video project. Today we are in the world of 4K but broadcast TVs had tons of video developed and shooter in mid 90 to mid 2000 where quality was a pal interlaced frame compressed in beta cam tape, and later acquired in compressed codecs.
At today Ai can do miracle on a picture, and do nothing on follow picture. It’s an interesting way but slow and not enough stable approach to restore blurred picture.
A sample of up sampling from pal interlaced picture to hd of old English series of hammer

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Marc Wielage

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Place where I worked in order to get old VHS look would actually record and capture back footage from VHS. No plug-in can be as good.

Eh, you'd be surprised, particularly if you work at it for 15-20 minutes.

Thom Guida wrote:All the magic of David Copperfield unravels in hear. You all are killing me.... Damn I needed that laugh.

And we worked on a bunch of David Copperfield CBS TV specials for director Walter Miller. But no secrets revealed: everybody signed strict NDA's. He is an amazing, very brave performer.

Thom Guida

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 1:53 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Math of fft work fine in the theory, but blurred picture also if captured uncompressed not have only Gaussian blur blending of dectails and picture, but a lots of others false infos.
I’m owner and beta tester of veia, sharpenAi, and tester of a lots of Ai project to do restoring and recovering of old shooting or recovering old video project. Today we are in the world of 4K but broadcast TVs had tons of video developed and shooter in mid 90 to mid 2000 where quality was a pal interlaced frame compressed in beta cam tape, and later acquired in compressed codecs.
At today Ai can do miracle on a picture, and do nothing on follow picture. It’s an interesting way but slow and not enough stable approach to restore blurred picture.
A sample of up sampling from pal interlaced picture to hd of old English series of hammer

YOU are a GENIUS! And honored with your reply - humbled actually. I am home watching transformations of Topaz' Video Enchance AI as I type. Thank you. It gives me hope I can finish many familial projects before expections with less heartache and headache - that I'll never have enough time to have deliverables for my older generation relatives.

Salainte!

/Thom
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

Thom Guida

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Place where I worked in order to get old VHS look would actually record and capture back footage from VHS. No plug-in can be as good.

Eh, you'd be surprised, particularly if you work at it for 15-20 minutes.

Thom Guida wrote:All the magic of David Copperfield unravels in hear. You all are killing me.... Damn I needed that laugh.

And we worked on a bunch of David Copperfield CBS TV specials for director Walter Miller. But no secrets revealed: everybody signed strict NDA's. He is an amazing, very brave performer.

Wow, very strange, like "One Step Beyond" strange. I could not know that, I was pulling that out of the air. It wasn't even a WAG! Worse I spelled *here* in correctly as hear.

Tnx MW.

Thom
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Thom Guida wrote:YOU are a GENIUS! And honored with your reply - humbled actually. I am home watching transformations of Topaz' Video Enchance AI as I type. Thank you. It gives me hope I can finish many familial projects before expections with less heartache and headache - that I'll never have enough time to have deliverables for my older generation relatives.

Salainte!

/Thom

too gentle :-D
tonight a new beta share a newer model and faster process on newer GPU.
My suggest is to split sequence in different clips and manage single clips, often you should change strategy and AI model.
In the official release there are newer interlaced AI models that give you interesting result.
me too i'm do research first to save oldies, and later i can apply in my post video work.

Thom Guida

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 8:13 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Thom Guida wrote:YOU are a GENIUS! And honored with your reply - humbled actually. I am home watching transformations of Topaz' Video Enchance AI as I type. Thank you. It gives me hope I can finish many familial projects before expections with less heartache and headache - that I'll never have enough time to have deliverables for my older generation relatives.

Salainte!

/Thom

too gentle :-D
tonight a new beta share a newer model and faster process on newer GPU.
My suggest is to split sequence in different clips and manage single clips, often you should change strategy and AI model.
In the official release there are newer interlaced AI models that give you interesting result.
me too i'm do research first to save oldies, and later i can apply in my post video work.

Yes, thank you.

Your response seems to follow in that same vein (beelow) for AI correction.

For the presentations and more importantly the Q&A afterwards; I use DSR *Detect Scenes* fine tune the cuts then jump in to collor page.

Much appreciated.

/T/
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

ricardo marty

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 2:39 am

Topaz video enhancer is now 199.00

Ricardo Marty

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 3:31 am

ricardo marty wrote:Topaz video enhancer is now 199.00

It won't do what the o.p. is asking for. That takes slightly-soft material and enhances it: puts a black line of pixels near white edges, or puts a white line of pixels near black edges. You can do that now. It won't take really bad, blurred, Super 8 movies and bring them into focus. We're not there yet. Lower your expectations.

Uli Plank

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 4:18 am

That would be a simple edge enhancer. VEAI does more. How much more depends on content. I was very surprised with natural textures, they truly look like more detail than was originally left there. Humans, faces in particular, are more difficult. I’d definitely test it on your own footage with the demo. There will be surprises, both good and bad.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 9:55 am

Problem is this low res image is most likely simulated one.

This may not be simulated:

https://ibb.co/3Yzvwpt

add bit of nice/real grain and it's not bad.

ricardo marty

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 1:27 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:Topaz video enhancer is now 199.00

It won't do what the o.p. is asking for. That takes slightly-soft material and enhances it: puts a black line of pixels near white edges, or puts a white line of pixels near black edges. You can do that now. It won't take really bad, blurred, Super 8 movies and bring them into focus. We're not there yet. Lower your expectations.

Yes, it won't but it's great to enhance old footage and clean it out a bit. So his only worry would be the focus issue. He would have a better looking unfocused clip.

Ricardo Marty

Thom Guida

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 3:06 pm

I just wanted to thank you gents for answering and enlightening me.

/Thom
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

stesin

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 2:36 am

Occasionally I've found an article with video about an approach to fixing out of focus shots. Didn't try it myself, but who knows maybe it will work for someone?
Blackmagick DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Blackmagick Speed Editor USB cable connected
Linux Ubuntu 22.04 (5.18.14)
Asus G750 i7-4860HQ 32GB RAM
NVidia 980M 8Gb (510.85.02 CUDA: 11.6)
2x166GB SSDs in RAID0 - DVRS Caches
1x4TB Samsung EVO 870 SSD

Marc Wielage

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 3:17 am

stesin wrote:Occasionally I've found an article with video about an approach to fixing out of focus shots. Didn't try it myself, but who knows maybe it will work for someone?

Add a power window and sharpen inside the window? C'mon.

Thom Guida

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 2:36 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
stesin wrote:Occasionally I've found an article with video about an approach to fixing out of focus shots. Didn't try it myself, but who knows maybe it will work for someone?

Add a power window and sharpen inside the window? C'mon.

Thanks Marc- I've tried that, like everything, when a scene is not capture optimally, there is a lot more work and detail necessary to come up with a best solution/"compromise."
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB

ricardo marty

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 5:32 pm

There is a new version of video enhancer with new, and better capabilities. new interface and new AI engine. Free to those that have an active topaz license.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169319

Ricardo marty

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Oct 20, 2022 6:52 pm

ricardo marty wrote:There is a new version of video enhancer with new, and better capabilities. new interface and new AI engine. Free to those that have an active topaz license.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169319

Ricardo marty
They do a great work, I follow all betas, better result. Anyway the real miracle on some very dv footage I did with a mix of Veia new Ai models, some sequence of frames put in batch on topaz sharpen Ai using motion blur model (for some reason out of blur give me more artefacts and unsharp mask effects than real new dectails, motion blur models reconstruct better lost details and later I mix all with a careful work of mask and tracking. A good miracle need a lots of real work :-)

Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve