Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Hearnia

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Here's a real estate video I just shot in ProRes:

I got rid of my Steadicam Merlin when I saw Andrew Julian was using a Blackbird with the BMCC. Overall I couldn't be more pleased. The Merlin never seemed to balance properly even with a lighter camera like the 7D. None of the steadicam shots you see in this video have post stabilization on them. They are speed-ramped, however, just to highlight what the homeowner wanted the audience to see.

Sigma 8-16 on the steadicam shots. Sigma 17-50 for some of the others.
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

Florian Blang

PostThu Aug 29, 2013 5:22 am

My birthday present to you!
I'd advise you to download the FullHD version and watch it on a big screen in a quiet and dark enviroment ;)

vimeo.com/73342229

Ludvig_strom

PostThu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 am

A quick test with BMPCC and Canon 8-64mm PL Zoom. No NDs so some of the shots has an aperture that's far from ideal. Some blooming annoying blooming artifacts can be seen in some of the shots unfortunately.

benbenlo

PostThu Aug 29, 2013 8:27 am

My latest work Shot In 2.5K Raw :)

abrownrigg

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 3:23 am

Just offloading footage of my first shoot with the BMCC.. prores and I'm loving it.. with the Rokinon Lenses and very simple lighting. That sensor is dynamite. This is for the pilot of Freeborn-The Werewolf Chronicles.. if I have my way, we'll be doing the whole series with the BMCC.. the 2.5k is perfect for TV as well when I need to go raw..

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 2:49 pm

benbenlo wrote:My latest work Shot In 2.5K Raw :)

I ennjoyed this, thamks for sharing .

Will Tejeda

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 2:39 am

abrownrigg wrote:Image

Just offloading footage of my first shoot with the BMCC.. prores and I'm loving it.. with the Rokinon Lenses and very simple lighting. That sensor is dynamite. This is for the pilot of Freeborn-The Werewolf Chronicles.. if I have my way, we'll be doing the whole series with the BMCC.. the 2.5k is perfect for TV as well when I need to go raw..

That looks really good, any chance we could see a few sec clips from that take? Curious to know he lighting setup
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

stephenmick

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 3:12 am

Here's a little "test" we shot on the Pocket Cam…

More details here…
http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?5193- ... amera-Test

abrownrigg

PostMon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Surely.. We're still in rough edit mode right now.. so lots to do, and audio hasnt even been touched yet.. so we got a lot of ground to cover. but I'm very happy with the images so far from this little camera.. Sure it's got a few things like audio issues.. but I'm recording to a DR60 anyway.. I'm willing to make that sacrifice.. I've shot on alexa and Red before, and this is really giving em a run for its money for my uses. Other opinions may vary. :)

Portion of video rough cut.

VicHarris

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 5:55 am

Surely.. We're still in rough edit mode right now.. so lots to do, and audio hasnt even been touched yet.. so we got a lot of ground to cover. but I'm very happy with the images so far from this little camera.. Sure it's got a few things like audio issues.. but I'm recording to a DR60 anyway.. I'm willing to make that sacrifice.. I've shot on alexa and Red before, and this is really giving em a run for its money for my uses. Other opinions may vary. :)

Looks really good! Question, did you add any gels to those lights? -green, frost, maybe some CTO? Just wondering because I have one of the 900 from them and it seems like it at least needs a sheet of 1/4 -green on it but you're looks dead on for daylight on the skin.

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 am

Here are some grabs from the last 5 days of shooting - more stuff for my "Entering Germany 1945" documentary.

I shot those on the Zeiss medium format zebras.

This here is shot with a Nikon 50 f1.4 wide open with a Speedbooster.
So you gotta stop down one or two clicks, or the bokeh becomes a bit mushy on that lens.

And yeah, that's a little cameo I did there 8-)

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

abrownrigg

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 pm

VicHarris wrote:

Looks really good! Question, did you add any gels to those lights? -green, frost, maybe some CTO? Just wondering because I have one of the 900 from them and it seems like it at least needs a sheet of 1/4 -green on it but you're looks dead on for daylight on the skin.

Actually no.. But I will say I agree that ultimately they tint almost exactly 1/4 green.. I brought the color in the BMCC down to 5000k and let the blue come in a bit.. Not purple, but ultimately took a bit of the edge off.. everything else is a one light correct in final cut X

abrownrigg

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Here are some grabs from the last 5 days of shooting - more stuff for my "Entering Germany 1945" documentary.

So you gotta stop down one or two clicks, or the bokeh becomes a bit mushy on that lens.

Awwwww.w. Niiiiiiccceeeee... This is the kind of footage that makes me even more confident that I got the camera I did. Very sweet work, look forward to seeing the project..:D

Darko Djerich

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Great work indeed,love the lighting and colour grading.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Eigdaar

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 3:09 pm

While waiting on my 1st BMD camera I would like to contribute to "Look what I shot" category my catch. :D
Attachments
55791.jpg
55791.jpg (135.16 KiB) Viewed 21082 times
Jan Novák

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Maybe you should change the name of your company to DuckShots :mrgreen:

Mmmmhhh - now I'm hungry - time to light the grill, got some turkey breasts in the fridge.

Jason Bourke-Velji

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Here are some grabs from the last 5 days of shooting - more stuff for my "Entering Germany 1945" documentary.

Been tempted by a few of these lenses especially the 50, 80 and 120.. Your results look stunning how would you rate these lenses on the bmcc any faults or quirks?which ones do you use or recommend? Do they let in more light then the f/ stop represents as they are for medium format?

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes they are faster than the f-stop suggests.

No quirks, just make sure you got a tight adapter and a lens support for the big ones.
I got a cheapo china adapter from ebay and got lucky, really snug.

I did an article on the zebras several years ago: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/vin ... n-cameras/
Last edited by Frank Glencairn on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richard Squires

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 1:09 pm

This looks absolutely superb. My favourite shot is the guy with the glasses, I don't know why but it just looks perfect. The last shot too with you in it is beautiful. Can we see it moving

all the best
Richard Squires
Broadcast Designer/Director
Melbourne Australia

adamroberts

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Love these shots Frank. What mount are the Zeiss and what focal lengths were you using?

EDIT: just seen you blog post. :-)

Frank Glencairn wrote:And yeah, that's a little cameo I did there 8-)

Saw this one over on the BMCUser forum. Made me smile seeing you in a sailor hat. :-)

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 3:56 pm

I wear many hats ;)

The Zeiss are lovely glass - especially for the money, but makes a huge footprint for the pocket though :mrgreen:

Will Tejeda

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks a lot Anthony, I appreciate the time you took to share. The footage looks even better in motion !

I have yet to actually test the bmcc out in the field, or a real world scenario as extensively but this gives me a good idea of how even some led panels will handle

I'm surprised that you opted to shoot at ISO400

Have you shot anything else on this cam?
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Jay

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Jay Ankeney, here.
Are there any members of this forum who have experience with the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera?
My editors at Digital Video magazine have asked me to put together an article about it, and I would like to interview you to find out what you have learned about it.
Please either E-mail me at jayankeney@mac.com or (better) give me a call at 310-545-3983
I look forward to hearing from you.

Randy Walters

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 am

Here's a little bit I shot with the Pocket yesterday at dusk, within a block or so of my home.

One-light graded and stabilized (except for the first shot!) in DaVinci Resolve, edited in FCP.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/342 ... et%202.mp4

screeny.jpg
screeny.jpg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 20891 times

Shot with a Manfrotto monopod. 800ASA, switched to 1600ASA in a shot where you see the same leaf get brighter. (And noisier!) Love those old manual lenses.

Will Tejeda

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 am

bump
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Archibaldo de la Cruz

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 5:21 am

Randy Walters: lovely footage. I assume the lenses you listed were C-mounts. But are they specifically made for Super 16mm film cameras? I'd like to get an old Switar Kern Paillard, but I'm not sure which of theirs would cover the Pocket cam's sensor as beautifully as yours. Or is it even an issue?

Will Tejeda

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 am

abrownrigg wrote:
VicHarris wrote:

Actually no.. But I will say I agree that ultimately they tint almost exactly 1/4 green.. I brought the color in the BMCC down to 5000k and let the blue come in a bit.. Not purple, but ultimately took a bit of the edge off.. everything else is a one light correct in final cut X

I suspect it was shot in film mode? If so did you use a LUT for this look, or just do a quick grade for the proxy (in resolve?) ?
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Doge

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 am

Shot this short lifestyle video as a BMCC test and promo piece. Color grade is experimental.

Shot in the desert of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Shot RAW:
Voigtlander 17.5
Tokina 11-16
Rokinon 24 and 35
Last edited by Doge on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grayton

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 4:01 am

Hi All
Here is a look at my first day having a play with the Pocket camera. In Melbourne, whole bunch of different lenses.
Cheers
Grayton Hevern

Nick Colombini

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 6:07 am

BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera test footage from the San Diego Zoo

Quick grade with film convert pro 2. All shot on the Rokinon 85 cine.

Stefan Markworth

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 am

Hi,

Here is a trailer for the 'Between Me' Pozible campaign. 'Between Me' is a half hour film I worked on as Second Camera, Editor and Producer.

For the 'Between Me' footage, the DOP was Mark Lapwood ACS.
- 'Between Me' was shot using two Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF.
- Lenses for 'Between Me' were mostly Zeiss CP2 Primes as well as some Canon still lenses, including Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM and a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.
- 'Between Me' was shot on raw, graded in Resolve and edited in FCPX.

The 'Between Me - Pozible Trailer' interview and behind the scenes footage was shot and edited by me.
- The trailer was also filmed on a Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF, except for one Sony Z1 shot of a script.
- Lens for trailer interview and behind the scenes footage is a Canon EFS 17-55mm 2.8f.
- Audio was recorded on the BMCC (Firmware 1.2) using a Rode NTG3 mic and a Sound Devices MixPre-D.
- The trailer was filmed on ProRes Film, edited, sound mixed and graded in FCPX using the wonderful Antler BMF to Video plug in.

'Between Me' is Written, Directed and Produced by Kim Farrant. For more information about Kim visit, http://www.kimfarrant.com

I hope you enjoy.
Cheers,
Stefan

BM_Production_Images_01.jpg
BM_Production_Images_01.jpg (182.22 KiB) Viewed 20658 times

BM_Production_Images_02.jpg
BM_Production_Images_02.jpg (239.93 KiB) Viewed 20658 times

BM_Production_Images_04.jpg
BM_Production_Images_04.jpg (229.64 KiB) Viewed 20658 times
Stefan Markworth
www.markworthmedia.com

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Not a great lens, no IS. No rig. But oh well. :D

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:I shot those on the Zeiss medium format zebras.

At least one of them is radioactive, Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar Zebra 80mm F/2.8 with Pentacon 6 mount, unless it's the M42 mount version.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:Not a great lens, no IS. No rig. But oh well. :D

Looks good as any shot with an explosion suits an unstabilized approach.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Tom

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Inspired by a few late nights watching documentaries about baroque era paintings - I really was inspired to try a bit of still life work.

Obviously doing still life with a video camera is a bit of a odd thing to do, so I thought it would be nice to show the last moments of arranging the scene just before the composition settles.

The composition of the scenes could be better, the main focus here was on the lighting and Colour grading.

Obviously the colour grade is quite stylised - I wanted to make it look almost like it had been painted. I have softened the footage and reduced the blues a lot as well as desaturating the higher end of the luma scale whilst boosting the saturation in the shadows.

Still frames:

Scene1: http://tommajerski.com/publicimages/Car ... 1%20v2.jpg
Scene2 http://tommajerski.com/publicimages/Carevaggio%203.jpg
Scene3 http://tommajerski.com/publicimages/Carevaggio%202.jpg
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Pui Ho

PostSun Sep 22, 2013 11:55 am

Shot this with the BMCC MFT and the C-Mount Fujian 25 1.4 in extreme low light.

Will Tejeda

Re: A little down time and a new camera

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 1:58 am

Benton wrote:
ghuson wrote:will get you in trouble:

http://www.SecretHQ.com

Very funny and a lot of truth buried in the sarcasm! (ok, maybe not alot) I bought the very same camera you did, wow! Nice work, seriously.

is sleepy hollow shot on bmcc at all ?
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

benklea

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Some footage from a trip up to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, in Michigan. First time out with the BMCC and despite a few issues, it produces some amazing footage! Shot in raw and processed in Adobe Lightroom.

Thanks!
Ben
Last edited by benklea on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcel Beck

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 4:59 pm

I went to an air show in Hohenems, Austria. I took my BMCC on a heli-tour, sorry about the shakiness.

Enjoy

Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

MatsHelgesson

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:40 pm

Just a test of my BMCC with EF mount, using a Canon EF 70-200L IS 2,8 lens. Prores film. Btw, I recorded the music as well. If your're wondering about the noise, it's the wind from the original footage.

For best image quality, download the file. It's quite a striking difference in quality...

Mats Helgesson
Cinematographer
Grandpa Electric

Alx

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 am

My first feature shoot on Black Magic just had world premiere at Fantastic Fest in Austin Tx.
http://fantasticfest.com/films/lfo

I was really great to see the film on a big screen and I must say that I'm quit happy with the result.
We had some great reviews that I have to share
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/09/fantastic ... ssues.html
http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2013/ ... LFO-Review

LFO are made for a VERY limited budget, and shot in 10 days, but I'm just so happy that it ended up successfully and we're now in the preproduction of another film. And we'll also shoot that on a Black Magic - and hope it will be 4K model.

pedroalvera

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 12:32 am

So here is our new video shot in Venice, using a BM Pocket, edited in FCPX and graded using Filmconvert plugin then post with Shrinkray from Crumplepopp.

Regards,

Pedro

Padlive

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am

My unboxing (pocket) GERMAN:

youtube.com/watch?v=KPSAdvOq-Pc

First test shot (who reads a manual? ;) ):

youtube.com/watch?v=GXobrroBKtI

Dustin Svehlak

Eric and Danny

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 2:56 pm

This was a very simple shoot but it was on a BMCC EF using Tokina 11-16mm for the wides and Canon 50mm 1.8 for the closeups. There is one really soft shot with a Rokinon 8mm fisheye as well. Graded with the Antler plugin, all shot ProRes.

www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Insomniac

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm

These stills looks incredibly sharp and cinematic to me, Frank. Did you shoot these with the Pocket camera, or was the picture you posted of the lens on the camera just to show what it would have looked like if you had?

I have to go with the Pocket camera because of its (relatively) inconspicuous form factor as compared to the 2.5k, but I've been disappointed about the sacrifice in sharpness many say that entails. Of course, if your stills were shot on the Pocket that would lift my spirits!

Have you found the Pocket to be noticeably softer/less sharp?

Worzel Gummidge

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 3:44 pm

:D

Greg Huson

BMPCC + LUMIX 14-45

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 8:07 pm

I make NO claims to being a DP - just a hobbyist.

I've had my pocket camera for a couple weeks, but haven't had much of a chance to shoot until last week. With a fall bike vacation, I'd expected to shoot aspen trees changing colors - a beautiful site and a serious test for subtle color changes, detail, contrast, and compression.

Fortunately I had no official assignment and no deadline, so the 'rookie' mistakes I haven't made in years didn't cost me anything but pride:

-I didn't pay much attention to 'approved' SDXC cards- since almost everything I've stuck in my BMCC has worked perfectly. However, my PNY 'Pro Elite X' only writes 35mbs. So, 1 shot in 3 has dropped frames. Fair warning.

-Before throwing my bmpcc into my backpack, I had only filmed night exterior. It didn't occur to me that I'd need an ND for daylight! 200iso and 90-degree shutter doesn't really test the 'real' dynamic range of the sensor, but it helped me from over-exposing, at least for ProRes. Since the 90-degree shutter is electronic and not a real shutter, it looks even more strange, at least to me.

-The display is VERY hard to see in daylight - consequently it's only really good for framing. Not unique to this camera- just something to keep in mind. I didn't realize I was filming the entire first day of my 'mini-doc' in TIME LAPSE mode! So, nothing from that day.

-The camera burns through batteries FAST, about 20-25 min when OIS is on, a few more when it's not, so you need a LOT of batteries. And… be sure to put the DEAD ones on the charger, and the charged ones in your backpack. Not the other way around. So, no footage from THAT day.

-Even with 'Mega OIS,' the camera is SO light, it's almost useless hand-held - even on the wide end of the 14-45. The OIS and jello-cam also make it difficult to stabilize in Resolve, too. I'm not sure I'll keep the OIS on much. I'll probably also add the 8mm to my kit. So, no useable footage shot POV from my bicycle.

Fortunately, on the LAST day of vacation, something very strange (for October 3rd) happened - even for the Rockies - and it made for interesting pictures.

Threw this together very quickly, so not really interested in creative or editorial comments. Posting it more just to give another look at what this little camera can (and can't?) do. I've also included a few of the bike shots just to illustrate the beauty of the season (and the problem with hand-holding a small and light camera with no rig of any kind.)

Quick grade in Resolve. The lens does not appear to vignette at all- that's added in resolve on just one shot. Also, without ND, it's pretty easy to over-expose in these conditions. The chroma seems to block up in places- even in ProRes- which I attribute to over exposure. And, of course, just like any sensor, once it's clipped, it's gone. (Vimeo and H264 no doubt finished destroying the subtle color and fine detail in the leaves.)

Thanks for watching- the 'black and white and yellow' is NOT an effect - that's nature!

https://vimeo.com/secrethq/review/76366866/7a0fe6dfd4

OR

vimeo.com/76366866

One other note for BMPCC users - the display screen can be permanently scratched more easily than the one on the BMCC- so if you're literally going to shove it in your pocket (or backpack) be sure to put it in a little cloth bag or something - or stick on a screen protector.
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Darko Djerich

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 am

Still grab from our new upcoming Italian -Sicilian music video clip with music from " Godfather Song-brucia la terra " we have shot recently in RAW on BMCC ...
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Ernest Kovalenko

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Here is a promo video for "I love my company competition".
Yes, I work in aviation :)

shot on prores.
principal photography around 3 hours, and some pickups within two days.
Colorgrading and CGI, was done very fast to meet the deadline of application for the contest.

youtube.com/watch?v=-a0VlOAUrsg
or
youtube.com/watch?v=FjrjjlRMyCU

christian.himmelstrand

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 pm

My first test with BMPCC

Warning, cat movie!
Shaky with out tripod or focus pulling gears.

Amazing dynamic range in camera that can handle a shot towards a bright window and computer screen and still get indoor shot.

Redrock Micro and Sigma 20mm 1,8
and Lumix 14mm
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography