Artifact issue on random footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joshua Morin

Artifact issue on random footage

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 3:23 pm

This bug has been occurring for me since 17.2. I recently upgraded to the current version and it is still there. I am not sure what to do, I have to get my colleague to render out every deliverable that we have on his Mac (which doesn't seem to happen on his machine) because of this bug.

Please help! (You can see the artifacting issue on the uploaded jpg)

Render issue Davinci Resolve.JPG
Render issue Davinci Resolve.JPG (475.58 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb
MacOs Monterey

Mads Johansen

Re: Artifact issue on random footage, PLEASE HELP!

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 4:09 pm

What's the specifications on the source video and what settings are you using to render?
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

Joshua Morin

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Mads Johansen wrote:What's the specifications on the source video and what settings are you using to render?

The source video is MXF OP1A XAVC Intra 4:2:2 L5.1 3840X2160 23.976fps

I see this in the timeline and when I render at any codec it is replicated. Thank you for your help!
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Joshua Morin

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 3:11 pm

Has anyone else had this issue? It also seems to happen with h265 5k video...
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

WestCoastDP

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 10:16 pm

I've been building video editing co8///mputers for 25 years.
A few things to try.

1. Re-seat your GPU card
2.Take half of your memory ram out. Make sure the remaining ram cards are in the correct slots. Sometimes its A1 and B1. Other motherboards are A2 and B2.
3. Roll back to an earlier driver for your GPU card. Probably the most important.
4. Delete all data in your Temp Directories. Very important There are two on the C: drive. Google it. Most PC users don't know this. Sometimes data inference can happen when the Temp directories become full.
5. Make sure your virus software is not checking any folders that your editing software resides, including video drives. So use the exceptions policy in the virus software. This also includes Windows Defender which comes installed with Windows. Some users end up with two virus programs. Not good.

I see a lot of posts that say they have bugs on PC's, but turns out they don't delete the Temp folder data before and after they upgrade software. And they don't turn off Quick Start on their PC's. Plus, a driver version for their GPU that's not compatible.

If you try all of these options. MAKE sure you do a Cold Boot after these changes.

Let me know
Atari 400
King Tuba

Joshua Morin

Re: Artifact issue on random footage

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Thank you for this! Checking out all of the options now. I really appreciate it!
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Joshua Morin

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 2:27 pm

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Sadly none of these worked. Any other ideas? Is this a bug in Davinci perhaps?

WestCoastDP wrote:I've been building video editing co8///mputers for 25 years.
A few things to try.

1. Re-seat your GPU card
2.Take half of your memory ram out. Make sure the remaining ram cards are in the correct slots. Sometimes its A1 and B1. Other motherboards are A2 and B2.
3. Roll back to an earlier driver for your GPU card. Probably the most important.
4. Delete all data in your Temp Directories. Very important There are two on the C: drive. Google it. Most PC users don't know this. Sometimes data inference can happen when the Temp directories become full.
5. Make sure your virus software is not checking any folders that your editing software resides, including video drives. So use the exceptions policy in the virus software. This also includes Windows Defender which comes installed with Windows. Some users end up with two virus programs. Not good.

I see a lot of posts that say they have bugs on PC's, but turns out they don't delete the Temp folder data before and after they upgrade software. And they don't turn off Quick Start on their PC's. Plus, a driver version for their GPU that's not compatible.

If you try all of these options. MAKE sure you do a Cold Boot after these changes.

Let me know
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Joshua Morin

Re: Artifact issue on random footage

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 pm

I figured out that I can replicate the problem in vlc with that file. Also I double checked that it doesn't happen on another machine. I updated drivers and still the same problem.
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Return to DaVinci Resolve