Resolve 17.4.2 Files Delete!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MaicoOrdelmans

Resolve 17.4.2 Files Delete!

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm

Found another bug (see previous post), and this one is BAD. I was exporting two timelines from my project directly to Youtube. So rendering + upload straight from Resolve. At one point Resolve crashed on the latest video upload, when I came to re-open the project, all my files of that timeline where unlinked. So I tried to find them, and guess what, the ENTIRE sourcefolder is empty. No video files, garbage bin is empty, luckely I have back-ups. So I retraced my steps thinking that it could not possibly be because of Resolve right?

Well I copied new back-up files to the source folder, relinked all the files and did a Re-Render. As a test I quit Resolve whilst rendering to simulate something like a crash, and GUESS WHAT. All the files where gone, AGAIN! This clearly has to be a massive bug, not sure if it only happens to straight YouTube uploads, but this happened to me twice and I was able to reproduce the problem.

Maybe because of the new implemented YouTube possabilities in 17.4.2? Back up your files everyone!
Hope they fix this asap.
Build
AMD Ryzen 5950x 16 Core
Nvidia RTX 3070FE 8GB
2x Samsung EVO970 Pro 1TB
32GB RAM
Ableton Live 11 Suite

Steve Alexander

Re: Resolve 17.4.2 Files Delete BUG!

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:30 pm

Sounds really bad. I don't understand why Resolve would touch your source files. Are you locating your source files in a subfolder Resolve uses for its own caching or something like that?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

MaicoOrdelmans

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 2:39 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Sounds really bad. I don't understand why Resolve would touch your source files. Are you locating your source files in a subfolder Resolve uses for its own caching or something like that?

Nope, I have a dedicated M.2 SSD For caching and a dedicated SSD for all my source material.
Build
AMD Ryzen 5950x 16 Core
Nvidia RTX 3070FE 8GB
2x Samsung EVO970 Pro 1TB
32GB RAM
Ableton Live 11 Suite

marzeliax

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:01 pm

Something similar has happened to me too, except I didn't export directly to youtube.

Three times now, files have gone missing from my folders after working on them with Resolve. I didn't delete any files from the program, I didn't export one of the projects at all.

In every case, the files are completely missing. Recovery software can't even find them as existing.
The folders are still there, the project file is in tact and shows where the files were, but the files themselves are gone without a trace. This is on an SSD, not an external.

The first 2 projects I had backups. This time, I do not. Going to take it in to a professional in the morning.

I hate that this is happening but I'm glad it's not just me.

Has anyone been able to get an update for this?

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 17.4.2 Files Delete!

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 3:54 am

Hi all

DaVinci Resolve references the source media, and does not open write access for this purpose. Is it possible that your render job was pointed to the same directory?

Can you paste your source paths, render paths and cache paths here?

Can you also add a link to your logs (via help menu) and a DRP file so we can examine the render job?

Lastly, please also feel free to add some context. Some info that would add value includes:
a. where your source files are from (e.g X-brand camera model, H.164 format)

b. what storage you have (e.g 2 Z-brand SSDs 4TB each, M space left in each or Y-brand 2-disk NAS, 10Gb connected, 2 Z-brand 2TB 7200 RPM drives, M space left, no errors in NAS controller)

c. what your workflow is like and what software you use (e.g shoot, attach CFast drives, copy/transcode files using this method to this folder, pass through this other software, add to this folder structure, import to Resolve, export to this other folder structure).

Lastly, if you haven't included a system configuration summary in your signature, please consider doing so - it helps.

Thanks
Shrinivas

marzeliax

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 9:29 pm

Thanks for following up on this!
I'm not sure about the render job being pointed at the same directory. Is this something I should avoid in future? I'm shocked if it would erase files but that would be good to avoid if so. How can I check on the render directory?

The most recent, and worst incident of missing files is regarding my project "Jurassic Homage" (a 22 min song I have about Jurassic Park that I was also making a music video for)
LOG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bKJCxG ... sp=sharing
DRP: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1250met ... sp=sharing
DRIVE: 1TB SSD ADATA SU760 is where I was storing nearly all my video for Davinci projects
CAMERA: this is tricky because I have a lot of sources and camera's over the years. missing are mov's, mp4's, and avi's. Any video file that didn't work with Davinci was converted with handbrake. I was able to get most of the pre-converts back because I think deleted the originals after converting them and hadn't emptied my recycle bin yet.

I'm not sure how helpful the log will be, since things went missing just before Thanksgiving... and just like with the other 2 projects this happened with, I didn't know anything was missing until opening the DRP and finding all the files gone. I believe all the folders were still there with Homage, but not with a previous project were one sub folder went missing. Recuva wasn't able to find the files ever existed. The files were also were not in the recycling bin (except for some duplicates I manually deleted and was thus able to recover and reconvert)

As a note with the DRP, there are a few files that ARE in there. One set is part of "hello john test" and was stored in a different folder than the other files and was done later. Any other file that might show up in logs as not actually missing is because I started recovering a few files from a few different places.
As a note with the "Hello John" test, this was the very last actual edit I did on this specific DRP. After editing the video in it's own timeline, I exported the test sample . Everything was fine. The day before thanksgiving I looked at the DRP again and all the files were now missing, except for the Hello John files stored on a different drive (which is a smaller and slightly older ADATA SSD)

I talked to a tech at the computer repair shop (they recovered my data for my last year when my external failed) who said it's very likely it's my new SSD drive (he said ADATA is terrible and notorious for early failure) but still think it's strange that this is limited to my Davinci projects files folders and not anything else on the drive that I'm aware of.

Either way, I still appreciate you looking into this just in case it IS a DaVinci issue.

Thank you !!!!

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 7:27 am

Hi Marcy

These links are not accessible without using a google account. Right click on the file in google drive and select Share. This allows you to specify that anyone with the URL can download and examine the files.

Regards
Shrinivas

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 am

Hardware can fail in the strangest ways. So, to check if it was your SSD, just try to edit from another drive. Even a hard disk will be good enough, since most of your formats should have relatively low data rates.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

marzeliax

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 8:34 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi Marcy

These links are not accessible without using a google account. Right click on the file in google drive and select Share. This allows you to specify that anyone with the URL can download and examine the files.

Regards
Shrinivas

Shrinivas, This is exactly what I did before to get the link, but google appears to have added another button to press to confirm on my end. It should work now.

Thanks

marzeliax

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 8:34 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Hardware can fail in the strangest ways. So, to check if it was your SSD, just try to edit from another drive. Even a hard disk will be good enough, since most of your formats should have relatively low data rates.

I just have to order another drive now. heh.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:04 am

Hi Marcy

I can see a normal Resolve session on 29th Oct at 12:08 pm, but at 3:25 pm, it starts complaining that the files in D drive (e.g D:\Vid Projects\Jurassic Homage\shoot her\Workers Shouting (convert).m4v) could not be accessed for decoding.

I checked a few more logs after, and they continue to have this complaint. So, a disk failure seems likely.

Regards
Shrinivas

Return to DaVinci Resolve