Gallery: copying grade and still shortcuts

• Author

DIVM_MVID

Gallery: copying grade and still shortcuts

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 pm

Would love the following features concerning the Gallery behavior:

--Eliminate the cap on the nodes to be "kept" (protected) from the clip receiving the copy action. Ideally we would be able to allow for more, or even constrain it to a range of nodes (i.e.: nodes 3-7, or keep the first 20 nodes).

--Create shortcuts for user-selected still in the gallery to be displayed easily. Currently only grading presets or temp grading presets can be carried on and mapped into the keyboard or the panel, but I barely used those, while in every scene you have several stills that you keep going back to as reference. Would love having these easily accessed.

Cheers
Senior Colorist and founder of Black Peak

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Gallery: copying grade and still shortcuts

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 4:37 pm

--Eliminate the cap on the nodes to be "kept" (protected) from the clip receiving the copy action. Ideally we would be able to allow for more, or even constrain it to a range of nodes (i.e.: nodes 3-7, or keep the first 20 nodes).

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

DIVM_MVID

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 6:47 am

I wish we could see at the very least the first request coming into Resolve sometime in the future.

For the second one, I'm using the playheads macro as a workaround, but it doesn't work exactly the same (you can compare in split screen, but not full screen or wipe with the current image).

The first one sees fairly ''easy'' to implenent and would go a long on facilitating fixed node tree structures' workflows.

Cheers

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:27 am

DIVM_MVID wrote:Would love the following features concerning the Gallery behavior: --Eliminate the cap on the nodes to be "kept" (protected) from the clip receiving the copy action. Ideally we would be able to allow for more, or even constrain it to a range of nodes (i.e.: nodes 3-7, or keep the first 20 nodes).

My workaround for this:

1) create a new version of the shot you're working with

2) delete the color nodes you don't want

3) grab a still of that. Now you have the "constrained" version of the correction and you can drag that into a shot. I basically create PowerGrades this way all the time. I also go to the additional stop of dropping in a huge TITLE on the edit page, so the accompanying Gallery still displays that title and I know what the hell it is.

Create shortcuts for user-selected still in the gallery to be displayed easily. Currently only grading presets or temp grading presets can be carried on and mapped into the keyboard or the panel, but I barely used those, while in every scene you have several stills that you keep going back to as reference. Would love having these easily accessed.

I think you can bounce around and do "Next Still/Previous Still", or use the View -> Stills -> Next Still & Previous Still command to choose whatever still you want. I'm impatient enough that I just say "hell with it" and grab the mouse and go. I do generally have a Gallery stills bin for every specific timeline, and you can use Track Timeline to have the Gallery keep up with where you are in the timeline.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

DIVM_MVID

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 3:22 am

My workaround for this:

1) create a new version of the shot you're working with

2) delete the color nodes you don't want

3) grab a still of that. Now you have the "constrained" version of the correction and you can drag that into a shot. I basically create PowerGrades this way all the time. I also go to the additional stop of dropping in a huge TITLE on the edit page, so the accompanying Gallery still displays that title and I know what the hell it is.

Yeah, there are workarounds ( I could also just drag and drop node by node from the stills' Display Node Graph option) but they are all time consuming and with a client in the room, they are mostly a no-go. Time is money. And the thing is the functionality is already there, it's just for some reason capped at 10 nodes.

I think you can bounce around and do "Next Still/Previous Still", or use the View -> Stills -> Next Still & Previous Still command to choose whatever still you want. I'm impatient enough that I just say "hell with it" and grab the mouse and go. I do generally have a Gallery stills bin for every specific timeline, and you can use Track Timeline to have the Gallery keep up with where you are in the timeline.

I use the panel "Next/Prev" constantly, but my issue here is that I might have easily dozens or even hundreds of stills in a folder. Going through them one by one is time consuming. Using the mouse is faster, of course.
But I'd wish we could use the Temp or Default Memories slots as place holders for stills, for example. I haven't used them in years (in a time where memory isn't a problem, having a Still or an extra Version is an easier way for me to save a style rather than in a Memory slot), and reusing them or allowing the users to choose viewing their stills would be great.

DIVM_MVID

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 5:26 am

DIVM_MVID wrote:Would love the following features concerning the Gallery behavior:

Now that Resolve 18 might be coming sometime in the future, I'll push again my request for my most desired "enhancement". My whole tree node and layers operations are built around this limitation... I'd wish more than 10 nodes could be kept from the original grading when copying grades, or even more, selecting the range of nodes to be copied.

DIVM_MVID

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 2:54 am

DIVM_MVID wrote:Would love the following features concerning the Gallery behavior:

--Create shortcuts for user-selected still in the gallery to be displayed easily. Currently only grading presets or temp grading presets can be carried on and mapped into the keyboard or the panel, but I barely used those, while in every scene you have several stills that you keep going back to as reference. Would love having these easily accessed.

Cheers

Over two years later, I wish this Request had some love from the devs! The limitation of nodes to be kept is simply pointless and I'd think easy to fix.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests