Resolve wont start

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

danicharlie

Re: Resolve wont start

PostMon Jul 05, 2021 8:40 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It looks like Resolve has never run on this system, so I have no historical log data to work with.

Please run the Windows System Information app and select the File - Save menu to create a .NFO file, and provide a link to that.

Hi there Dwaine! I am attaching the NFO file link. Thank you very much. I still cannot figure out how to get da vinci to open. I appreciate your help lots.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CjCJsS ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 4:29 pm

I don't know that Resolve will run on your AMD Radeon R5 M330 GPU. Plus your 8 GB of system RAM don't meet the minimum requirements.

But the immediate issue is the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver. You can try removing the Intel driver using DDU, following the directions at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rosamunde

PostTue Sep 28, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi Dwaine!

Thank you for the great support work you are doing. It's so frustrating if Resolve simply won't start.

I've updated DaVinci Resolve Studio to the lastest version (17.3.1) on my Windows 10 system and i did use it the same day without a problem.
I remember i changed the audio driver to ASIO for my Motu UltraLite AVB, but i can't believe that's the problem...
I uninstalled and reinstalled resolve a few times, but nothing changed.
I unplugged the soundcard and tried to run resolve - didn't start.

The resolve logs and nfo file can be downloaded here:
www dropbox com/sh/vbpijxo4sdpp8m7/AAAcFPvuRQs6RHuhLo4Xc6gba?dl=0

I hope you can help!
Thank you!!
Last edited by rosamunde on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 4:52 pm

There was no link to the logs/NFO in your post.

New users can't post URLS, so it may have been stripped. Just put a space in the URL near the front, so the system doesn't see it as a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

rosamunde

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 9:45 am

Okay, I updated my previous post, but just to make sure you get the info files and i get chance to use resolve angain!

www dropbox com/sh/vbpijxo4sdpp8m7/AAAcFPvuRQs6RHuhLo4Xc6gba?dl=0

Thank you for your help!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Resolve seems to be hanging. And that's usually caused by some external device connected over USB.

So the Motu is certainly a suspect, especially if the issue happened when you changed it's driver.

But you say disconnecting that has no effect on the hang.

In that case, the next step would be to disconnect ANY USB devices from the system, except a standard wired keyboard and mouse and see if Resolve will launch.

ANY USB devices includes mics, headsets, Bluetooth dongles, Video capture dongles, USB web cams, etc.
Dwaine Maggart

rosamunde

PostFri Oct 08, 2021 3:12 pm

I'm afraid removing any USB device didn't help at all. I tried it before, but gave it another shot.
With only Mouse and Keyboard plugged in, Resolve is again trying to start, stops and is gone.

What else can I try?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 5:40 pm

In File Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\Users\rossi\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Rename the dblist.conf file to dblist.conf.orig

Now launch Resolve. If it launches now, that means there is likely an issue with your kunst database, which is on your H: drive, which appears to be a Dropbox drive. We don't recommend putting databases on Dropbox.
Dwaine Maggart

John_M

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 3:30 pm

Hello from the UK. I'd appreciate a Blackmaigic diagnonsis and solution to my problem, if at all possible.

I have been using Resolve Studio 17 for quite a while with no problems. However, yesterday Saturday, it refused to start. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Resolve several times, along with AMD Radeon Pro WX3100 drivers ( or at least that is supposed to be what I have done).

I notice that a Widows update: KB4023057: Update for Windows 10 Update Service components was installed on 8th October 2021 but Windows will not allow me to undo this update.

log and info files here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 7:53 am

Your Google Drive link requires access credentials. Please make it an open link.
Dwaine Maggart

John_M

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 9:28 am

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 7:31 am

That link works. But the folder is empty.
Dwaine Maggart

John_M

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 9:35 am

Apologies for that. Should be there now. Fingers crossed ;)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 am

@John: It looks like Resolve 17.3.1 was working, and the startup issues started with the Resolve 17.3.2 upgrade.

Open the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features panel, and right click DaVinci Resolve and select Uninstall. This will uninstall Resolve 17.3.2 (but won't affect your existing projects or settings) and allow you to install Resolve 17.3.1 Studio again.

Does 17.3.1 Studio still run?

It's also possible that the issue started with 17.3.1, and you've restarted Resolve enough that the 17.3.1 crash logs have been flushed.

If you are sure that the issue happened with 17.3.1, and you updated to 17.3.2 to see if that would help, then don't bother reinstalling 17.3.1.

In that case, it could be an external USB device connected to the computer. To test that, disconnect ALL USB devices except a standard USB keyboard and mouse. Disconnect any USB web cams, or audio devices, headsets, microhpones, USB Bluetooth dongles, HDMI video capture dongles, and whatever that ezCap audio device is connected.

Does Resolve start after that? If so, put the USB devices back in one at a time. But the ezCap USB audio device looks suspicious, since the NFO file is complaining it doesn't have a proper driver loaded.
Dwaine Maggart

John_M

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 8:37 am

Many thanks for your help, Dwaine. Will do..and get back with the outcome.

John_M

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi, Dwaine.. I've gone though those steps and this is what I have.

1. All USB devices are now disconnected apart from wired keyboard and wired trackerball.

2. This made no difference.

3. Following the logic of installing an earlier version, I tried both free and studio versions. The free versions behaved exactly as the Studio versions in all cases.

3.1 Clean install of original Resolve Studio 17. After inputting the activation key, the program started and ran OK.

3.2 Uninstalled that version then clean installed 17.1.1.0009. After inputting the activation key, the program started and ran OK.

3.3 Uninstalled that version then cleane installed 17.2 The program would not start

3.3 Uninstalled that version then clean installed 17.3.2 The program would not start

Does that provide any extra clues? Hoping to avoid reinstalling Windows.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Not really. Please send a current Resolve log and NFO file. Hopefully there will be enough of a log trail between the working and non-working state to provide a clue.
Dwaine Maggart

John_M

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 5:06 pm

Will do. Many thanks.

John_M

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 5:40 pm

John_M

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 am

Hi, Dwaine. Any news? Keen to get working again ASAP. Reluctant to go back to 17.1.1.0009 in case that creates probems with the projects later on.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 8:11 am

Are both your displays connected to the AMD WX3100 card?

Do you have anything plugged into either of the HP DisplayPort connectors?

Any connected displays need to be connected to the AMD card. No displays should be connected to the HP DisplayPort connectors.

Your logs and NFO don't show that they are, but your NFO is also not showing the Intel UHD 630 graphics that I know your system can support. I assume you have that disabled in Device Manager is why it's not showing up in the NFO, but you still might have displays connected to the onboard DisplayPorts, and if so, the Resolve crashing could occur.
Dwaine Maggart

John_M

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 10:48 am

Hi, Dwaine. Just double-checked. Both dispalys are connected to the AMD WX3100 card. There is nothing connected to the HP DisplayPort sockest.
Intel HDU Graphics does not show anywhere in device manager.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Running out of ideas. Still looks like an issue with the GPU.

If you right click on the Windows Desktop, you should see an AMD app. Select that. What Radeon driver does it show installed?

The AMD driver versions shown in the NFO and Resolve logs don't quite match up to the current drivers. They seem to fall between the 21.8.1 and 21.8.2 drivers.
Dwaine Maggart

z3rk3r2020

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 6:02 am

Hey Dwaine having similar issues running Davinci Resolve it has never ran for me at all. Had a GTX 1650 before and recently upgrading to a RTX 3080 and it does the same thing where it wants to start but never opens.

Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1
CPU Ryzen 7 5800x
32Gb Ram
GPU RTX 3080

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r3P5CU ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-uol0U ... sp=sharing

John_M

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 am

Hi, Dwaine. Thanks for sticking with this.

I reverted to an earlier version of the AMD software and drivers.
The problem was still there. Resolve Studio 17.1 runs. Neither Resolve Studio 17.2 nor 17.3 will start, though

I installed the very latest version of the AMD software and drivers.
The problem was still there. Resolve Studio 17.1 runs. Neither Resolve Studio 17.2 nor 17.3 will start, though.

Then I let AMD choose which version of the software and drivers to install.
The probem was still there. Resolve Studio 17.1 runs. Neither Resolve Studio 17.2 nor 17.3 will start, though.

I'm reluctant to reinstall Winodws 10 becaause of the work involved. Seems to me to be too early to upgrade to Windows 11, too.

I seem to have no option to continue with 17.1 for the moment.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 7:07 am

@Jeffrey: Somehow, almost all of your preferences related files are corrupted. Don't know how that would happen. But the fact so many files are messed up means you'll have to do a clean Resolve install. That process is detailed below.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!! The process below deletes all existing data. I'm sending you this, since you said Resolve has never run, so there should be no Resolve related data we have to worry about preserving. Anyone else reading this should note that you should NOT use THIS process if Resolve has been running, and you have Project Data to preserve.

With that said:

Uninstall Resolve using the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features panel.

In the Programs and Features panel, right click DaVinci Resolve and select Uninstall.

Also uninstall any other Resolve related apps, such as Resolve Keyboard, Resolve Panels and Fairlight apps.

Don't uninstall PostgreSQL 9.5, if it's installed.

After Uninstalling Resolve, in File Explorer, check that the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder has been removed. If the DaVinci Resolve folder still exists, delete it.

For the next steps, you need to make sure you can see hidden files/folders in File Explorer.

In the Cortana search window, type: file explorer options, and then open the File Explorer Options window.

In the File Explorer Options window, select the View tab and In the Hidden files and folders area, select:

"Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

In File Explorer, go to folder C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design

Delete the DaVinci Resolve folder.

In File Explorer, go to folder C:\Users\Jeff's PC\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design

Delete the DaVinci Resolve folder.

Now reinstall Resolve. Don't install any Fairlight related items.

Launch Resolve. What you should see is the onboarding video. Watch or skip that and do the Quick Setup.

Now does Resolve run? If not, send another Resolve log and Windows System Info .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 am

@John: I'm out of ideas. I don't know what's causing your system to behave that way. Maybe the next release will behave differently, but I have no reason to believe that will be the case.
Dwaine Maggart

John_M

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 11:15 am

Many thank anyway, Dwaine. I'll finish my current (small) projects on 17.1 then consider a Windows 10 refresh..or maybe even 11!

z3rk3r2020

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Hey Dwaine thank you so much it starts up and runs now Thank You so much for your help!! By the way I didn't have PostgreSQL 9.5 installed when you asked to not uninstall it not sure if that important or not to have.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 pm

Glad that worked.

PostgreSQL does not need to be installed. That was mentioned just in case it was installed.
Dwaine Maggart

z3rk3r2020

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Ok cool just making sure thanks again for all your help!!

jsetzer99

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Up to DR Studio 17.3.1 installed and ran fine. DR Studio 17.4, and now DR Studio 17.4.1 will not launch. Windows event log says:
Faulting application name: Resolve.exe, version: 17.4.1.4, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: lua5.1.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x61395167
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000078f00
Faulting process id: 0x32b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7d4e8af00b458
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Resolve.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\lua5.1.dll
Report Id: f6cf414e-b33e-449b-abc1-baea3d7d5271
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Note DR 17.4.1 (free) loads and runs. I've had to roll back to DR studio 17.3.1.

Ideas?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 10:55 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

mylatestwork

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 11:53 am

Hi since I switch from the free version to studio and after I updated macOS 10.15.7 (Security update) DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.1 won´t start anymore. I tried to uninstall and go back to Version 16.X.X and watch all YT videos to this topic I ended up here. Maybe you can help me out here is the link to my log and SPX https://we.tl/t-a6pQwFHkN7 Thanks in advance

*!Update: I have solve the Problem by deleting my "/Users/*/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design" folder 8-)

John_M

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 10:33 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@John: I'm out of ideas. I don't know what's causing your system to behave that way. Maybe the next release will behave differently, but I have no reason to believe that will be the case.

Hi, Dwaine, true enough -the later releases didn't behave any differently. After resetting Windows, the latest version of Resolve now runs. Just a pain resetting Windows. Ah well. Up and running now.

ITColor

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 12:25 am

Hello,
I was working with Resolve last night and everything worked well. Today I could no longer open the app. I don't even get a Splash Screen.

Hope you can help me with this issue.

Thank you in advance.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 6:45 am

Try Resolve 17.4.2 which was just posted a bit ago. If that still has issues, send another Resolve log, and also open the Windows System Information app, then select the File - Save menu, which will generate a .NFO file. Send us that as well.
Dwaine Maggart

ITColor

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 8:50 pm

Dwaine, thanks for the reply.
I installed new version, it still won't start. I have added both documents as requested to the same link.
Hope they can help. Thanks again for your help.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 3:27 am

Looking deeper into the logs, it seems Resolve quit working when you updated to Windows 11 (whyyyy?)

And Windows 11 has installed a newer AMD graphics driver. And I suspect that is the issue.

My only idea, and I'm not sure it's a great one, is to use DDU to uninstall the AMD GPU driver.

Here is a link describing how to use DDU:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861

This describes removing the Intel driver. Same process, but choose AMD instead of Intel.
Dwaine Maggart

ITColor

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Hi!
I tried what you suggested. Resolve opens now, but can't go into a project. Will try to install new AMD driver, see if that solves.

Thanks for your guidance.

peter192

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 11:36 am

DAVNFOFile.zip
(141.05 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-112021_112911.zip
(153.86 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

HI there, i have the similair issues as above with the very latest version 17.4.2.

I have attached my files here and hope you can suss out whats going on.

I have got a little further then i had previously but after the splash screen the application stops every time and wont launch properly and comes out of task manager.

-reinstalled (cleared all files)
-changed to nvidia studio drivers
-did a clean install of above drivers
-removed all usb related items

**note added 1st dec. installed old version 17.4 and back working**

many thanks

jester

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm

same things here.
upgrade from 17.4.1 to 17.4.2 resolve won't start

no spalsh screen.
nothing.

all drivers are update

:-/
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-122021_124213,16.zip
(354.65 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 7:17 pm

@Peter: Uninstall the Citrix Indirect Display adapter. Pretty sure that will fix it.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 7:19 pm

@Stefano: Need a Windows System Information .NFO file.

Open the Windows System Information app and select File - Save to generate the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

jester

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 7:48 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Stefano: Need a Windows System Information .NFO file.

Open the Windows System Information app and select File - Save to generate the .NFO file.

thanks for your time.

here the nfo.

let me know.
Attachments
info.zip
(167.61 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

peter192

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 4:24 pm

thanks Dwaine for the response and investigation. i will test this but now in the middle of editing on a previous version.

cheers,

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 4:11 am

@Stefano: Remove the external display and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, in Windows Device Manager - Display Adapters: disable the DisplayLink adapters.

If that doesn't help, send another Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

jester

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:29 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Stefano: Remove the external display and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, in Windows Device Manager - Display Adapters: disable the DisplayLink adapters.

i have a laptop connected to dell d6000 (dockingstation) and 3 monitors : 1x2k and 2xFHD
if i use only laptop: it works
if i connect to d6000 BUT disable DisplayLink adapters in Windows Device Manager: it works

never had issues before 17.4.2

thanks

Tamis Kwikkers

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I have a possibly related problem: Resolve 17.4.2. does not launch when I have a wireless display 'on'. No problems in 17,4,1, Just nothing happens.

I can switch on the wireless dislplay once Resolve runs, video works, but no audio. Not able te restart again.

Have to restart the laptop to get the system working again.

Had to go back to 17.4.1

regards, Tamis
Resolve Studio 18.4
desktop W10, I5-6500, 16GB, GTX1050Ti
laptop W10, 1165G7, Iris Xe GPU, 16GB

jester

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 8:41 am

hi nobody want to help US?
please @Dwaine Maggart

jester wrote:
Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Stefano: Remove the external display and see if that helps.

i have a laptop connected to dell d6000 (dockingstation) and 3 monitors : 1x2k and 2xFHD
if i use only laptop: it works
if i connect to d6000 BUT disable DisplayLink adapters in Windows Device Manager: it works

never had issues before 17.4.2

thanks
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve