Render Individual Clips changes 29.97 to 59.94

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mathematics

Render Individual Clips changes 29.97 to 59.94

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 10:40 pm

The original video is AVCHD footage @ 29.97 fps using h.264 compression and wrapped in an MTS container. The Resolve project is preconfigured to 29.97 and is kept that way even though it prompts me to change the project settings as soon as I drop in the MTS file. Media Info states the video is 29.97 Interlaced. Consumer cameras back in the day.

When I render the timeline as a single clip, it renders out at 29.97 but as individual clips, the framerate is 59.94. This is an issue for me because I need these individual clips to be 29.97 for further processing. Why is it doubling the framerate?

My temporary but not-so-elegant solution, is to export the timeline with a gap between each clip. For the curious, I need each clip to be free of context relative to adjacent clips.

Updated Solution: Rendering Individual video clips do NOT follow the same rules as Full clip.
Last edited by Mathematics on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaVinci Resolve, Capture One, Affinity Suite, Topaz AI Suite, Cubase, ProTools, Live, Digital Performer.

Uli Plank

Re: Render Individual Clips changes 29.97 to 59.94

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:00 am

Wrong settings. Set your TL to 29.97 interlaced, check that the source footage is getting de-interlaced with the best de-interlace (neural). Resolve will de-interlace into twice the number of progressive frames. Then re-interlace on delivery.

If you are sure that not a single pixel will change its position during your work, you can also set the clips to ignore interlacing, set the TL to progressive, export as if it's progressive and set the flag in your file to interlaced in the end.

The first workflow is the safer one.

Caveat: I use the similar workflow for interlaced PAL. I can't promise NTSC works the same.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 am

moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 am

Yes, with NTSC it's the same: set you timeline to 29.97 and then "Enable interlace processing".
On delivery, enable "Interlaced rendering".
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mathematics

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 11:03 am

Thank you all. I'll give it a try.
DaVinci Resolve, Capture One, Affinity Suite, Topaz AI Suite, Cubase, ProTools, Live, Digital Performer.

Mathematics

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 1:34 am

Tried everything recommended and even different combinations of project and timeline settings and while I can get full timeline renders of 29.97, I cannot get individual clip exports of 29.97. I believe there is a technical limitation to this.

Here's what I tried and the results:

1st Setup
Project Settings:
Timeline Resolution: NTSC 720x480
Timeline Framerate: 59.94
Enable Interlace Procession: unchecked

New Timeline Settings:
Timeline Resolution: same as above

Exports for Single and Individual Clip come out as expected 59.94, Progressive

2nd Setup
Project Settings:
Timeline Framerate: 29.97
Enable Interlace Procession: unchecked

New Timeline Settings:

Exports for Single 29.97, Individual Clip 59.94 Progressive

3rd Setup
Project Settings:
Timeline Framerate: 59.94 (no 29.97 option because Interlaced was checked)
Enable Interlace Procession: checked

New Timeline Settings:

Exports for Single and Individual Clip 59.94 Progressive

As you can see, I get 59.94 on Individual Clip exports. Now, it somewhat makes sense since the fields would have normally displayed for 1/60th of a second and this NLE is designed to deliver progressive media; therefore, it seems that Resolve inherently deinterlaces and generates frames based on adjacent field information, so it seems. What I need is to deliver in the DV encoded media that I am editing off of, so I can process the fields externally. I do not want Resolve to deinterlace. That is why I wanted to process the timeline into clips...so they can be used independently. So far, it doesn't seem possible to edit DV content and deliver DV content as interlaced video. Is there something that I am not setting correctly?

I was able to export a timeline as a progressive video of interlaced fields. That is not helpful though because I cannot process that externally...so I won't mention how I set that up.

Update - I found another post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=81592
Now, what I have is not h.264 video but DV files from a Sony Hi8 video cam. Regardless, it seems that Resolve just won't deliver interlaced video. If that's the issue, then I guess that's that. Can this be confirmed? I will try to find the time to read the manual but I don't know when I'll have the time to do that since, I do have a work-around for what I'm trying to do but I'd like to know if editing DV content can rendered to DV-based media. It's like I'm trying to take a book and turn the chapters into smaller books...if that makes sense.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 am

When processing individual clips Resolve always outputs them at their original framerate.
I often shoot in 50p BRAW, do a grading of the footage in Resolve and then output those as individual clips for the editing in another software. Even with the timeline set to 25p, Resolve will render the clips at their original 50p framerate. I wish it would be possible to force Resolve to do otherwise when desired.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Return to DaVinci Resolve