Can you power the new Studio Cameras with a PoE++ switch?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

valentinpando

Can you power the new Studio Cameras with a PoE++ switch?

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 8:38 am

Hi,

I would like to centralize the power supply of our cameras, either with a multi power adapter or with a PoE++ switch. In theory, PoE++ should provide enough power for the cameras, however in the technical information it says "PoE type 4", which is, as far as I know, not available as a switch. A PoE Poweradapter would work for me, too, I do not need the switch capabilities. Just could not find a PoE Poweradapter with 8 Ports that supports PoE type 4.

Does anyone know if PoE++ works? Or do you know a Poweradapter with 8 Ports or more, that supports 12V DC with 60 Watts per Port?

And I don't really want to spend another 6 grand and 4 rack units on the Camera converters.

Thanks!
Valentin

Howard Roll

Re: Can you power the new Studio Cameras with a PoE++ switch

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Ubiqiti makes an 8 port POE++ switch with a total output of 430w. The cams are (max) 46w each for a total of 368w which still leaves some overhead.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi- ... industrial

Good Luck

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 2:06 am

You will need a Class 7 or 8 Type 4 (802.3bt) PoE power supply that can provide enough power for the Studio Camera.

If you want to make use of the IP video features as well then you will need to plug into the Blackmagic Studio Converter.

If you just want a PoE power supply for the Studio 4K Pro then a PoE Type 4 Class 7 or 8 capable device is minimum.

valentinpando

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 2:27 pm

Thanks for your answers! @tim_schumann, why would I need a PoE class 7 or 8 switch? Class 6 should be enough, even the BMD adapter only has 60W and the cams should not consume more than 45W.

I would use this switch because it is rack mountable and cheaper (should be able to power 8 cams with 60W each): https://www.galaxus.de/de/s1/product/ne ... lsrc=aw.ds

Anything that speaks against it?

codedeltajames

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 3:38 pm

valentinpando wrote:Thanks for your answers! @tim_schumann, why would I need a PoE class 7 or 8 switch? Class 6 should be enough, even the BMD adapter only has 60W and the cams should not consume more than 45W.

I would use this switch because it is rack mountable and cheaper (should be able to power 8 cams with 60W each): https://www.galaxus.de/de/s1/product/ne ... lsrc=aw.ds

Anything that speaks against it?

PoE isn't just sticking volts down a cable, the supply (PSE) and powered devices (PD) have to negotiate to get the power that they need. If the power isn't available (or the supply can't deliver it) then the device has the choice of accepting the lower power or not powering up at all.

If the studio cameras will only accept a type 4 source, then you will need a type 4 source to get the camera to power up - even if a type 3 source could technically deliver enough power to match the datasheet requirements of the camera. BMD saying you need a type 4 supply would suggest to me that you need a type 4 supply. The switch you have linked to is only a type 3 supply.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:45 pm

codedeltajames is correct.

If you use a type 3 PoE power supply the PoE negotiation will not be enabled...

A 75W PoE power supply guarantees ~ 62W at the powered device. After losses and DC to DC conversion your usable power at the powered device ends up at ~ 55.8W.

IEEE require that the camera will ONLY switch on when a PSE of the expected type is detected.

So as I said previously you will need a power supply that is compliant with IEEE802.3bt Type 4 Class 7 or Class 8.

valentinpando

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 10:13 am

Thank you for the clarification! Is there a rack mountable Device that you can recommend, and would you say a Switch or a DC power source would be better suited for the job?

I can not really find a DC power source that has multiple outputs and is rack mountable, only ones that require custom cabling. If we use a switch, this one (or any other that has a
802.3bt rating and can supply 90W per port) should work, right? : https://www.galaxus.de/de/s1/product/ne ... er=2705624

Frank Engel

PostSat Dec 25, 2021 12:30 pm

A random Google search found that Microchip seems to offer some type 4 class 8 switches:

https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/ ... 03231C.pdf

I have no experience with them, and they do not appear to be cheap by any means, but they are out there at least.

dgonzalez

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 8:44 pm

I am running into this same issue with Blackmagic Studio Pro 4K cameras (purchased just before G2 was released).

I have IEEE 802.3bt PoE injectors with nominal 90W power delivery for powering this camera, but the camera is totally unresponsive. I believe the BMD Studio Converter is the same PoE spec's as the 3rd party unit I purchased (PoE++, 90W), so I am not sure why the cameras are not powering on / recognizing the PoE. Camera software was also updated to 8.0 as of 4/10/2023.

3rd party PoE unit: "95W Gigabit Single Port 1000mbps PoE++ Switch Midspan PoE Injector, IEEE802.3bt / 802.3at 4PPoE Standard" from Linovision

Return to Cinematography