Transfer whole DVR projects, media included, to external HDD

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dejudicibus

Transfer whole DVR projects, media included, to external HDD

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 9:38 am

I need to find the EASIEST way to TRANSFER DaVinci Resolve projects to another external HD.

There are a lot of video and article about exporting DVR projects, but you have to manually copy all media files from an HD to another, and of course you need to know which files you have to copy for each project. So a lot of manual work. What I need is different.

Consider a bunch of DVR projects, let us say, 50 projects. Each project uses video clips, images, and sounds, that are in different folders of computer and inside an external drive (let us call it E:)

I need to pick each project and say: MOVE THIS PROJECT to another 4TB external hard drive (let us call it T:). I need to MOVE (not COPY) all files without looking inside the project, to a mirror of the original folder structure. I also have a Cache. Everything should be moved, and all links rearranged, so that when I open a project, everything is the same as before.

How?
Last edited by dejudicibus on Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David E King

Re: Transfer WHOLE DVR projects, media included, to external

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 10:16 am

If your on a MAC system then Resolve Collect might help you out...... Not sure if it will do everything your asking for but it might get you going in the right direction.
I would read the user guide first before you purchase just to make sure it will help you out.
The user guide is on the web site.

https://www.niwa.nu/resolve-collect/

Good luck

dejudicibus

Re: Transfer whole DVR projects, media included, to external

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 3:45 pm

I'm on Windows, not Mac.

dejudicibus

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Furthermore I need to move to the new HD also the Cache Folder BUT non for ALL projects, but nly for the selected projects. In practice, I need to spilt on two different HD projects related to customers from my personal projects. How can I do that?

Steve Alexander

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 5:08 pm

The closest I've used is a project archive where you can elect to copy media files, render cache and even proxy media but it's one project at a time and it copies media, not move.

Even with archive there are some issues with certain assets, I believe such as external Fusion comps... hopefully someone else will have a better idea.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve