Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Move multiple bezier handles in spline editor simultaniously

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

banana

Move multiple bezier handles in spline editor simultaniously

PostTue Dec 28, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi guys,

is there a way to move multiple bezier handles (at the same frame, overlaying each other) at the same time?
I would find this useful for animations where several object are animated at the same time for the same duration. E.g. a text-write-on-value and a mask-position-value. And I want both objects to have the exact same easing in their timing-curves.
Right now, if I select both objects and their keyframes in the spline editor and try to move the overlaying bezier handle ends, only one handle can be moved.

Alternative: It would also be sufficiant, if I could save a finessed curve or a bezier handles appearance as a preset, to apply it to another object's timing curve.
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

GalinMcMahon

Re: Move multiple bezier handles in spline editor simultanio

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 3:56 pm

I actually encountered a need for your alternative last night. I have some elements moving on a bezier curve that is made with a transform node. I just copy/pasted that tracking node and it worked well. I believe you can set a node as a preset but I haven't played with that much.

Now to figure out how to bump each of those transform nodes a few frames down the timeline. I'm sure it's easy but....
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Sander de Regt

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 5:26 pm

If you use an off-set modifier you can animate once and then connect all other animations to the original one, also with a time off-set. This will keep everything in sync. If you change one, you change them all.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

banana

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 9:11 pm

Well, thank you both for your anserwes.

The off-set-modifier seems like a good tool, but it does not really get me there. And I'm not quite sure, if I explained my question right.
As I see it the off-set-modifier only works with parameters of the same kind. Like connecting the position values of two objects/nodes, which have positions values.
But what can I do to connect the animation curve (with the customized animation curve/easing) of two objects/nodes to parameters of a different kind. E.g. I have an object runnig along a path, so a displacement value is animated from 0 to 1, and another object has an animated position parameter, so x and/or y coordinates are animated. Now I want both animations to start at the same time, having the same duration and having the same easing/bezier animation curve.
To speak more generally: The easing stuff should be seperated from the parameter stuff.
Is this even possible?
Thanks again,
Klaus
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

TheBloke

PostThu Dec 30, 2021 11:42 am

There is no way to physically drag the handles in the same way at the same time. But for basic handle movements you can achieve the same (or similar) thing. In the Spline Editor you can press T to bring up the ease in/ease out controls, and/or use the Ease context menu to apply various pre-defined easing curves to a number of keyframe pairs at once. That Ease menu also has a Dialog option with some basic control of the curve shape.

I made a mini-tutorial the other day that covers adjusting easing for multiple sets of keyframes (on different parameters - in this example, Transform Y & Transform Size) at the same time, to ensure the parameters remain in sync. It also briefly covers modifiers and expressions for doing the same thing.

The tutorial was made for someone who hadn't used Fusion before, so it might be a bit basic at the start.

(apologies for audio quality, I made it quickly using a crappy mic)
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

brunocbreis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:52 pm

TheBloke wrote:There is no way to physically drag the handles in the same way at the same time. But for basic handle movements you can achieve the same (or similar) thing. In the Spline Editor you can press T to bring up the ease in/ease out controls, and/or use the Ease context menu to apply various pre-defined easing curves to a number of keyframe pairs at once. That Ease menu also has a Dialog option with some basic control of the curve shape.

I made a mini-tutorial the other day that covers adjusting easing for multiple sets of keyframes (on different parameters - in this example, Transform Y & Transform Size) at the same time, to ensure the parameters remain in sync. It also briefly covers modifiers and expressions for doing the same thing.

The tutorial was made for someone who hadn't used Fusion before, so it might be a bit basic at the start.

(apologies for audio quality, I made it quickly using a crappy mic)
Thank you for the reply and the video! I never paid attention to the easing dialog.

I do think some way to manipulate the angle of multiple bezier handles simultaneously would be VERY useful in the spline editor.

Or even a way to use the same shortcuts (S, T, X, Y + drag) we get when editing polyline strokes. I hope Fusion 18 surprises us with some love to the spline editor
Mac Studio (2022)
M1 Max 64GB
DVR / Fusion Studio 18.6

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:58 pm

The shape box option is available in the spline editor. It doesn't allow for manipulating the bezier handles, but you can scale in time and values etc. It is a very useful tool.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion