Effect Request: Good Art Effect Filters like PRISMA AI

• Author

creativespiral

Effect Request: Good Art Effect Filters like PRISMA AI

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 2:58 am

I'm surprised that it's been several years since Prisma was released, and the quality and variety of filters available with Prisma photo processing has not made its way to DaVinci Resolve/Fusion, or other NLEs.

I know you can hack together a look with edge detect, posterize and other nodes, but the quality and variety of looks is nowhere near as good as Prisma or other "AI Art Effect" tools... and haven't seen any third party fx that capture the same quality... maybe there's something out there?

I would love to see Blackmagic either buy / partner with one of these type of companies and integrate their AI technology into Resolve, or develop the effects in house, giving the same sort of art filter options. I want to be able to process HD and 4K content with Prisma level looks.

roger.magnusson

Re: Effect Request: Good Art Effect Filters like PRISMA AI

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 3:51 am

Have you tried the Stylize effect in DaVinci Resolve?

Wouter Bouwens

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 7:06 am

Is this the prisma ai for mobile phones? For photo effects?
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

creativespiral

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Yeah, I've tried all the effects in Resolve, and experimented with custom node clusters in Fusion... but no results as good as Prisma.

@Wouter - yes, I'm referring to the Prisma AI mobile phone app... whatever they are doing is outstanding. The filters/effects are really amazing and inspiring... but there's no practical way to process video. Some people have spent days processing and exporting frames one-by-one from the Prisma App... but I just want the same quality and variety of filters to be available within Resolve, or Premiere --- or I'd even pay for a good third party plugin. But nothing is on the same tier as Prisma currently.

They call it "AI" effects... I'm not sure exactly what that means, but if Blackmagic could develop some "AI" filtering/processing like that and have it available within Resolve, that would be awesome.

Wouter Bouwens

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 8:23 pm

That would be no simple task. If the AI does this frame by frame, they would all look different. Even apart from the fact that all effects would have to be tracked, which, depending on the footage, would be a night mare.

If this would be a simple thing to create, it would already have existed long ago.

Apart from that, my honest opinion, it is somewhat of a party trick with no real value for by far most productions. For most it would only be a gimmick. Ofcourse, I could be very wrong.
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

roger.magnusson

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 10:41 pm

While it doesn't give the same results, I think the Resolve Stylize effect uses similar technology.

Here's normal vs Stylize with one of the portrait styles. I wouldn't know what to use it for but if they added some controls for the color palette you could probably get close.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 11:22 am

Wouter Bouwens wrote:That would be no simple task. If the AI does this frame by frame, they would all look different. Even apart from the fact that all effects would have to be tracked, which, depending on the footage, would be a night mare.

Temporal consistency depends on the used model and it doesn’t track anything anywhere, it’s not how ML style transfer works. Traditional stylisation effects are also done frame by frame.
I do stuff.

creativespiral

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 10:34 pm

Yeah, temporal consistency would be a plus, if the "AI" algorithm can look forward and backward at least one frame and provide some sort of smoothing of render. But even without that sort of temporal smoothing, the effects can be interesting and useful in video.

Use Cases:

1. Children's Content
The current project I want to use this on is a short film that my young daughters want to make. Our idea was to film them acting on green screen, and composite over illustrated matte painting or 3D cartoonish backgrounds... but I was hoping to be able to render their acting in a sort of cartoon cell shaded animation style. The filters available in Prisma (or Artista) would be perfect.

2. Traditional Film/TV Projects
This type of stylized filter effect can be used for dream sequences, flashbacks, visions, or other shots that serve the story. They can vary from subtle, to very stylized, and work for any mood from lighthearted to very dark content. This type of filter would allow for creating content like Richard Linklater's Waking Life or A Scanner Darkly, or Amazon's Undone series. It's not something that everyone would use, but it would be a valuable tool in the bag for film/tv producers/editors.

3. Music Videos
These type of stylized effects are excellent for music videos, where often the artist wants some more abstract content. I think having this type of advanced/ai filtering available in Resolve would be very valuable for music video creation.

4. YouTube Creator Content
These type of stylized filters would probably be very useful for YouTube content creators too... with popups/overlays/b-roll during voice narration.

After looking into it further over the past few days, it definitely looks like an opportunity to explore... I'm surprised that Resolve/Fusion/Premiere/AfterEffects haven't already offered these type of advanced filters.. the tech has been around for a few years with photos on phones, and it seems like a prime opportunity for development into NLEs with similar easy interface, with maybe a few sliders. I don't really know what the "AI" incorporates, but I'm sure with modern i9/rtx3080 systems like many of us have, the processing should certainly be no problem, at least with timeline rendering.

Artista does actually offer video option via their iOs app, but its limited to very short clips, and the output is a 512x512 square. I just want an option for HD/4K processing of the same quality and variety like Prisma and Artista offer. Would be awesome to see this added to Resolve... Or even if a 3rd party creator made an open-fx plugin set, I'd be happy to pay for it.

https://venturebeat.com/2016/10/06/pris ... onds-long/

Andy Mees

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 11:20 pm

Appreciate you want a specific canned effect but there are hundreds of permutations you could explore to build your own with the existing tools provided in Fusion if you want... here's a YouTube tutorial for one:
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

creativespiral

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 5:20 pm

@Andy Mees -

Yeah, It's not that I want just one effect, but a variety of them like offered in Prisma or Artista... possibly with some basic control sliders, like the other effects options in Resolve.

I've already seen that YouTube video - the effect it produces is nowhere near the quality of the "AI effects" from Prisma. I have experimented with creating custom node clusters in Fusion, spending several hours, but not being able to get anything like the defaults in Prisma/Artista/Painnt.

I'm not sure what the "AI" is doing in those apps, but the results it creates are very interesting and usable. It's just been about five years since that tech was first released, and for some reason it has not been ported to NLEs, which I find odd... there's all these articles about Prisma potentially offering a desktop version and video processing, but then nothing ever happened... and Artista (which is not quite as good quality) made some minor strides for video, but is limited to 512x512 output on short segments.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests