Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Issues (Not Detected)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Gellynuts

Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Issues (Not Detected)

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 5:03 am

Hi all,

I am having an issue getting Desktop Video Setup to detect my Ultrastudio Mini Recorder. I have heard about BlackMagic ending support for these devices but I’ve only heard about this in regards to M1 Mac’s. I don’t believe ours is an M1. (See “About This Mac” below) Does that matter? These devices worked for us as recently as September 2021.

About This Mac:
13” - Mid 2014
IOS: Big Sur
Processor: Intel Core i5

I tried a number of things including:
- Re-Installing Desktop Video 12
- System Preferences>Security>Desktop Video permission (which only showed up once I downloaded an older version of the software)
- Searching for Drivers (I couldn’t find any specific ‘driver’ download. Also no sign of any Drivers or Extensions in the Mac’s Library)
- Installing Past Versions of Desktop Video Setup
- Using the Recovery Terminal - csrutil disable/enable - approach I found on YouTube

The only thing we haven’t tried are different Thunderbolt cables.

Are we just SOL because of the lack of support or is there something we are missing? All help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Uli Plank

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Issues (Not Detected)

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 9:10 am

It should be detected just fine. Are you sure that you are using a Thunderbolt cable?
If it's not seen in the system info (the details under "About this Mac"), it can only be the cable or a faulty unit.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Gellynuts

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Issues (Not Detected)

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 9:13 am

Uli Plank wrote:It should be detected just fine. Are you sure that you are using a Thunderbolt cable?
If it's not seen in the system info (the details under "About this Mac"), it can only be the cable or a faulty unit.

We tried multiple Thunderbolt cables and multiple Mini Recorders on multiple versions of the same MacBook Pro

Return to Post Production