Video monitor lookup table vs two screens

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Skiess

Video monitor lookup table vs two screens

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:01 pm

I've calibrated my Panasonic OLED TV (video) and Eizo LCD screen (edit etc + small video).
Both are connected as desktop screen (Windows 10, Resolve 17.3.2).

Now in Resolve I can add the 3Dlut of the calibration to the video monitor, but then it applies on both screens.
And when in Color, the Lut is NOT applied.
I can add a 3Dlut for the color viewer, but that only applies to the edit screen so the video screen is still without 3Dlut in color mode.

Huh?...

I'd like to add a 3Dlut for both screens separately and independent of what tab I am in.
Is that possible?

Or am I doing it all wrong and has calibration management in Resolve changed recently?
It's weird that a calibration LUT has to be set in the project settings rather than general settings.

Mario Kalogjera

Re: Video monitor lookup table vs two screens

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:04 pm

Clean feed takes the video monitor lut AFAIK, not the viewer LUT for Color page. I'm looking for an elegant solution as well.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 11:37 pm

SDI out -> router in
router out 1 -> lut box1 -> mon1
router out 2 -> lut box2 -> mon2
router out 3 -> external scopes

- reliable - simple - clean - elegant -

peterjackson

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 8:08 am

Dermot Shane wrote:SDI out -> router in
router out 1 -> lut box1 -> mon1
router out 2 -> lut box2 -> mon2
router out 3 -> external scopes

- reliable - simple - clean - elegant -
Really anything but simple, clean and elegant. Tons of hardware device that do things that could simply be done in software.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Skiess

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 12:31 pm

Agreed. It's understandable that BM wants to sell their dedicated hardware, but for small studios any decent computer is powerful enough to handle it on it's own these days. It's also more sustainable that way... ;)

Dermot Shane

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 6:58 pm

my thinking goes like this:
* Resolve's internal scopes are not near enough to deliver masters to the spec's my clents expect, so external scopes are a "must have" and external scopes need a clean feed to be accurate
* each mon needs it's own cal lut to be accurate

so another option might be
Decklink HDMI out to a C1 client mon and use it's internal lut
Declklink SDI out to external scope, loop through to a Flander hero mon and use it's internal lut

there ya go, saved the cost of a dual channel lut box (1k) and a 8x8 router (1.5k)

still, in the greater scheme of things a 2.5k expence in a room that costs 70k+ is worthy if you have more devices feeding the router than just one machine (i do)

prolly not worth it if you're in a room that is one machine, a hero mon and a client mon, and no external QC tools / scopes / error logging

Mario Kalogjera

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:35 pm

It's not clear why clean feed cannot not treated fully as any other video monitoring card and not just GUI viewer - it's not that you didn't pay anything for that to BMD, you paid $300 for Resolve Studio that gets you the clean feed option. That would be perfect for people who don't do client critical jobs but rather their own projects for YT etc. If you have paying clients, it's for your own good to get a dedicated video monitoring hardware. I don't see many people deciding to buy Decklink mini monitor because they find clean feed useless for finishing their projects.

System interfering with GPU's color rendering is a myth, at least in Windows. These days you could even have 10 bit OpenGL rendering to clean feed, even on the regular RTX GPU if BMD only allowed it.
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
BMD Mini Monitor 4K

peterjackson

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 8:30 am

Mario Kalogjera wrote:System interfering with GPU's color rendering is a myth, at least in Windows. These days you could even have 10 bit OpenGL rendering to clean feed, even on the regular RTX GPU if BMD only allowed it.

Exactly that. Still you find lots of "pro users" repeating this cargo cult non sense for decades and quoting the manual section where BMD tries to make a case to sell their own GPUs.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Mario Kalogjera

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 9:57 am

I understand that in commercial money critical projects you need the peace of mind that nothing can ever interfere, even by accident, and not fiddle around in Windows in front of the pay-per-hour client, but hey... In such cases you also can't rely on on-board audio, there can be interference... It's all understandable. But not everyone does or needs that.

What I'm thinking about, but may be fiddly to execute, is to calibrate and make the LUT for the hero display connected as clean feed, and then measure and create a ICC profile, based on the LUT that is loaded in Resolve's video LUT slot, for the GUI monitors viewers.

No, it won't work, Resolve doesn't color manage to ICC profiles, but maybe additional LUT can be introduced to a node in colour page. Needs testing.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
BMD Mini Monitor 4K

Return to DaVinci Resolve