Music Clip Shot on the 2.5k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nilscrompton

Music Clip Shot on the 2.5k

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 3:09 am

Hello All,

Just thought I'd share a music clip I've directed, shot on the 2.5k using Samyang Cine lenses:

Cheers,
Nils

David Regenthal

Re: Music Clip Shot on the 2.5k

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 6:16 am

I like everything about that (including the song).
Very creative, well shot, really good pace . . . thanks for posting.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Nilscrompton

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 6:24 am

Thanks man, nice to hear, you never really know what you've made by the end of post production...

Manu Gil

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 8:39 am

Very good. I like. Thanks for sharing.

Darko Djerich

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 am

Nice +1
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

georgetsirogiannis

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Great, well done!

The only thing I have to ask, those flares on the astronaut's suit, they were added in post, right?
Last edited by georgetsirogiannis on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nilscrompton

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah, Video Copilot mini-anamorphic preset, tracked in Mocha AE, bit of roto for an obscuration layer. We really should've put real lights in there for the shoot to at least get some interaction with the scene... Next time. There's a great clip called Winner with Brendan McLean that uses on camera filters for the flares, looks great...

georgetsirogiannis

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Yeap, that's the only thing I didn't really like about the video. The Video Copilot products have been overused, especially the flares. Let's exclude Elements which has and will forever have the same amount of value because of its multipurpose use ability. :)

Luxwhite

PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 pm

I love the austronaut suit!! Lol

Nilscrompton

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 12:08 am

georgetsirogiannis wrote:The Video Copilot products have been overused, especially the flares. Let's exclude Elements which has and will forever have the same amount of value because of its multipurpose use ability. :)

That's a fair criticism. I had originally intended to make the astronaut a hologram, but we didn't shoot enough clean plates and the amount of roto hours was just too daunting, so i went for a quick fix to give him some thing a little other-worldly. I'm hoping the general public aren't as attuned to the trends as crafts people... Its probably not helped by the fact they're so close to a preset. I don't mind the 'fakeness' of them in context with the costumes and story though...

Benjamin Klingebiel

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 9:23 am

awesome! i love it!

Hugh Antonio

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 9:45 am

As a potential Black Magic 2.5k customer. I'm forever looking for good footage and videos shot with this camera. I'm well impressed with the quality of your Video and the low light capabilities of the camera as I saw little noise in the Dark areas. I'm wondering how to managed to pull off the slow mo effect, which was one of the aspects I had reservations about as the camera only shoots up to 30fps. Great Video
MacBook M1 Pro
10 Cores 16GB RAM
512gb HDD
Resolve Studio
BMPCC 4K

Richard Oakes

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 9:56 am

Very nice! Lovely colour!
Richard Oakes.

Nilscrompton

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 4:31 am

nomoneyforbeer wrote:I'm well impressed with the quality of your Video and the low light capabilities of the camera as I saw little noise in the Dark areas. I'm wondering how to managed to pull off the slow mo effect, which was one of the aspects I had reservations about as the camera only shoots up to 30fps. Great Video

In terms of timing settings, the entire film was shot 2.4k Raw 30fps 216• shutter (sharper and no flicker in 50hz lighting) then was conformed to 25p in resolve before creating proxies for offline. The half speed shot of the astronaut playing basket ball was a twixtor effect at 50% with no manual clean up. I feel the 30-25 slow down is enough to take the edge off without being too obvious. Personally the iPhone 5s 120fps has killed slow-mo as a wow inducing special effect for me. It's just another tool in the bag now, and I feel I can make the bmcc work for 'storytelling level' slow mo if I need it to, or just hire an FS700 for that odd job that is all about time stopping still.

Exposure wise we were trying to ETTR but the image on the LCD really threw us and often we're swayed to make it look nice on the screen. So ultimately most shots were underexposed (as far as the sensor dynamics are concerned). We shot at T2.0 - T3.0 rating the sensor at 800 ASA, but should've gone wide open and 400 ASA and ived with the bit of bloom the Samyangs give at that aperture. Consequently everything had some NR applied to just the chroma channels in Resolve usually a radius of 2. So the camera can do much better than this in terms of noise. I'd advocate rating the camera at 400ASA to avoid this, as Captain Hook was suggesting in a class he ran in Sydney yesterday.

Margus Voll

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 7:18 am

Very nice to see story line filmed.

Big change to "look my ...." videos.

I wonder if it would helped to film still on 800 and f2 but pushed light some more
so that the noise would not emerge. Did not see it much in youtube as compression kills it.

Now as everyone has cam there is the time to make outstanding stories and
fine tune the craft.

Nice work.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

georgetsirogiannis

PostSun Sep 29, 2013 7:33 am

nilsio wrote:
georgetsirogiannis wrote:The Video Copilot products have been overused, especially the flares. Let's exclude Elements which has and will forever have the same amount of value because of its multipurpose use ability. :)

That's a fair criticism. I had originally intended to make the astronaut a hologram, but we didn't shoot enough clean plates and the amount of roto hours was just too daunting, so i went for a quick fix to give him some thing a little other-worldly. I'm hoping the general public aren't as attuned to the trends as crafts people... Its probably not helped by the fact they're so close to a preset. I don't mind the 'fakeness' of them in context with the costumes and story though...

Don't get me wrong though, apart from those flares (which is just a small technical detail), it's a great clip!

Return to Cinematography