URGENT HELP Needed

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tooembarassed

URGENT HELP Needed

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 10:51 pm

I know I shouldn't have tried to update the day before a shoot but I did thinking it would be fine but the update failed in the middle of it and no the camera is completely unresponsive and unrecognized by Blackmagic Camera Setup. I've tried multiple ports and USB C cables and nothing gets recognized.

This is a complete disaster and I need to get this camera back up in order to shoot tomorrow. Can ANYONE please give me advice on what steps to take to make that happen.

It's a BMPCC4k that was on I believe 6.2 and I was trying to install the latest. I had no accessories attached during the update. I'm using a Mac M1 Mini.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: URGENT HELP Needed

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 1:06 am

Hi,

1. Download and install Camera 7.7.3 from the support website:

To put the camera into recovery mode. To do this:
i. Disconnect all power sources and remove the battery to ensure that the camera is totally powered down.
ii. Connect power to the camera and power it up while holding down the focus button.
iii. Camera will power up with a blank screen and the fan should be running.

2. Once the camera is powered up in recovery mode, launch Blackmagic Camera Setup v7.7.3 and connect the camera to the computer via USB. This should now allow the camera to be detected by the computer. Click on the ‘Update’ button and allow the process to complete.

3. Once the update is completed, power cycle the camera. Then install Camera v7.9.

4. Now update the camera normally with Camera v7.9 and this should now be able to complete successfully.

tooembarassed

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:23 am

My first born will now be named Kristian Lam. Thank you for sharing this. It worked.

David White

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 2:11 pm

I was not able to update. After successfully installing the 7.9 update onto my Mac Mini, powering up the camera, and connecting it to my Mac, I ran the update software and it found my Pocket Camera 4K.

I started the update process, but it failed suggesting I change cables. I then followed the recovery procedure here and tried again with another cable, but I got the same results.

I tried with all three USB C cables I own, but the update failed each time. My camera now has no software.

Parameters

Mac Mini 2020
Mac OS 11.1
Pocket Camera 4K version 6.2 (lens removed)
Update package 7.9

Any suggestions?

David

robert Hart

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 3:15 pm

As a totally and illogically wildcard desperate measure, you could try :-

Remove media card and any other accessories.
Remove battery and other power sources.
Try to switch the camera on using the power button. It will of course not work.

Now connect power back to the camera.
Before you connect your USB cable to the camera, touch the shiny metal shield of the USB plug to the bare metal of the camera's lens mount first to draw off any static electricity or any stray voltage coming from the computer.
Try the firmware update process again.

Your next course of action if that does not work will be to try to update the camera with another computer. There may be something hostile happening between your computer and your camera. Older Macs had a sad habit of frying JVC HD*** firewire ports.

David White

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 6:59 pm

Thanks, Robert. I tried your suggestions, but it still didn't update.

I uninstalled the 7.9 updater and installed the 6.2 updater. That worked so my camera is working again.

I bought one of the first Pocket 4K's. I wonder if it's not compatible with version 7.9.

David

Phil109

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 9:12 pm

I had the same problem, only the camera was detected. The message said the update to 7.9 was done successfully, but not according to my camera it wasn't! WTH is going on?

David White

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:33 pm

OK, I now have 7.9 working on my pocket 4K, but I had to install an intermediate version. I installed 7.1 (which was reported by the camera as 6.9.6). Then 7.9 finally installed.

To summarize, I went from 6.2 -> 7.1 (6.9.6) -> 7.9

David

robert Hart

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:59 am

David White.

There is noting quite like a good outcome at the end of a distressing journey.

Jakob Steinbach

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:24 pm

Do you need to install an intermediate version or could you just restart it and instantly install the latest version. Im not quite sure which version I had installed before trying to update and where I could get the older version

WahWay

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 am

Does this fix work with the original URSA Mini 4.6k or is there another way?

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:54 am

7.9 doesn't do anything for that camera.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

clavilab

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 7:11 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

1. Download and install Camera 7.7.3 from the support website:

To put the camera into recovery mode. To do this:
i. Disconnect all power sources and remove the battery to ensure that the camera is totally powered down.
ii. Connect power to the camera and power it up while holding down the focus button.
iii. Camera will power up with a blank screen and the fan should be running.

2. Once the camera is powered up in recovery mode, launch Blackmagic Camera Setup v7.7.3 and connect the camera to the computer via USB. This should now allow the camera to be detected by the computer. Click on the ‘Update’ button and allow the process to complete.

3. Once the update is completed, power cycle the camera. Then install Camera v7.9.

4. Now update the camera normally with Camera v7.9 and this should now be able to complete successfully.

I have a Blackmagic 6k.

When i try to update from 7.9 to 7.9.1 the update failed and now the camera turns on but the LED is black nothing is on.

I tried following the steps above but when installing 7.7.3 i also got a "update failed" message. so i don't even know if i am restarting in "recovery mode"

on step 3 (iii) "blank screen" mean just black or is there some kind of message or gray screen that tells me i am in "recovery mode" other than the fan noise?

Return to Cinematography