Studio Camera Pro 4K Codecs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David_Anderson

Studio Camera Pro 4K Codecs

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 2:30 pm

I don't post in this group as I mainly do live production and please forgive me if I've asked a question that's already been asked before (I searched the best I could).

Can anyone explain why the Studio Camera Pro 4K only supports BRAW? It sure would be handy to be able to select Prores codecs as my normal workflow doesn't include BRAW.

Can someone from BM chime in and tell us if there is any planned update for more codecs?

Thanks!

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

carlomacchiavello

Re: Studio Camera Pro 4K Codecs

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 pm

David_Anderson wrote:I don't post in this group as I mainly do live production and please forgive me if I've asked a question that's already been asked before (I searched the best I could).

Can anyone explain why the Studio Camera Pro 4K only supports BRAW? It sure would be handy to be able to select Prores codecs as my normal workflow doesn't include BRAW.

Can someone from BM chime in and tell us if there is any planned update for more codecs?

Thanks!

Best,

David
May be simple, prores license cost to Blackmagic Design and probably they thought that you not need of it on studio camera.
Have you ever used a pro drone? Do you know that on inspire 2 to record prores you need an additional license, 500$ since, in Italy, and an additional hardware to speed up recording.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Howard Roll

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 am

Welcome to the Blackmagic Sandbox.

Good Luck

David_Anderson

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 3:34 am

I wish they would offer it as they do on virtually every other camera in the lineup even the URSA Broadcast G2. I would pay a premium for this. Many people who use live cameras also need recordings. BRAW is not friendly to FCPX or Compressor.

I hope someone from BMD will chime in. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Best,

David

carlomacchiavello wrote:May be simple, prores license cost to Blackmagic Design and probably they thought that you not need of it on studio camera.
Have you ever used a pro drone? Do you know that on inspire 2 to record prores you need an additional license, 500$ since, in Italy, and an additional hardware to speed up recording.

David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 9:20 pm

Other brand (Sony) to allow you to record raw requisite external recording and additional firmware (by payment) for most cameras
Other brand a simple log profile cost (Panasonic).
Blackmagic Design give you a live camera with braw, if you need you can couple with some Videoassist or other branded monitor recorder to have prores and more.
Too often people forget how good is the offers of Blackmagic Design.
Add later a codec is a matter of a simple license but could a matter of processing power. All is related about initial project. Only Blackmagic Design developers can know.

Return to Cinematography