PL Mount & SDI (or Micro SDI) in Future Pockets

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:09 pm

This is a formal request for future models of the Pocket Cinema Cameras to have a PL Mount Option and as well have SDI output. If SDI is too big, then Micro SDI is just as good. I'd prefer interchangeable lens mount, but if the Pockets need to be a fixed mount because of their design then I'd love for a PL option to at least be offered.

Although I think there is a major update coming to the URSA Mini Pro line. And, I suspect an URSA Micro is in the works for the cube/box camera requests. Thus two models of the URSA with the URSA Mini and the URSA Micro. So if that Micro camera has SDI and PL (or interchangeable mount) then that could solve this for me. Still, I'd love for the Pockets to have a bit more options.

Thank you! Give a +1 if you agree.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jeffrey D Mathias

Re: PL Mount & SDI (or Micro SDI) in Future Pockets

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:53 pm

just a suggestion that a new mount be something like LPL so adapters for PL and EF will work.... this is what I find nice about the MFT mount.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

John Paines

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 10:08 pm

For a "Pocket" line camera?!? The kind you just pick up and shoot with?

Even assuming such a camera could be manufactured at Pocket prices -- and at the expense of features with far more general appeal -- what market would it serve?

This is getting hallucinatory.

Marshall Harrington

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 10:28 pm

timbutt2 wrote:This is a formal request for future models of the Pocket Cinema Cameras to have a PL Mount Option and as well have SDI output. If SDI is too big, then Micro SDI is just as good. I'd prefer interchangeable lens mount, but if the Pockets need to be a fixed mount because of their design then I'd love for a PL option to at least be offered.

Although I think there is a major update coming to the URSA Mini Pro line. And, I suspect an URSA Micro is in the works for the cube/box camera requests. Thus two models of the URSA with the URSA Mini and the URSA Micro. So if that Micro camera has SDI and PL (or interchangeable mount) then that could solve this for me. Still, I'd love for the Pockets to have a bit more options.

Thank you! Give a +1 if you agree.
+1

I agree on both of these Tim. PL and SDI. That would be super cool. Having an option on the mount would be very useful. There are moments when EF works. SDI just makes everything easier.

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 12:00 am

In the meantime I use a Wooden Camera PL-mFT adapter with my manual PL primes and a HDMI clamp.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 1:04 am

John Paines wrote:For a "Pocket" line camera?!? The kind you just pick up and shoot with?

Even assuming such a camera could be manufactured at Pocket prices -- and at the expense of features with far more general appeal -- what market would it serve?

This is getting hallucinatory.

Remember the very first Blackmagic Cinema Camera had SDI. So it's not a stretch to ask for that. Also, the original Blackmagic 2.5K had MFT, EF, and PL options you could choose to buy. Same with the Production 4K, which had EF and PL. And, the Pockets are used for a lot more than just pick up and shoot with. They are very useful in productions. But having real cinema glass is always nice.

So Cinema Camera and Production Camera PL versions were both within that Pocket price range. Thus SDI and PL is doable at these prices. And, since the Video Assist 5" have Micro SDI it's not a leap to assume those are low cost to do as well.

Your statement that "this is getting hallucinatory" is wrong. This is going off of what has been done in the past with the very first cinema cameras.

timbutt2

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 am

rick.lang wrote:In the meantime I use a Wooden Camera PL-mFT adapter with my manual PL primes and a HDMI clamp.

I know. I have the Wooden Camera Mod for my P6K. But still, I would love for a native PL Mount option.

Mike Potton

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 1:17 am

You are describing a ursa mini pro, which you already own :? BMD cameras offer incredible value but they must consider cannibalisation when deciding features.

The pockets already have an incredible list of features for the price, XLR, Prores, Timecode, Raw recording, 5inch screen, EVF,ND's it's insane.

Sure SDI would be a nice to have, not sure about the logistics of swappable mounts. I mean the 4k can be already be adapted to pretty much any mount...

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 4:59 am

+1
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

timbutt2

PostThu Jul 21, 2022 12:49 am

So now with the ATEM SDI models, can we hope for SDI in future Pockets? It really is far better than HDMI.

Adam Langdon

PostThu Jul 21, 2022 2:18 pm

timbutt2 wrote:So now with the ATEM SDI models, can we hope for SDI in future Pockets? It really is far better than HDMI.

oh, i wonder! though it could just be complimentary for the Broadcast G2s???

I'm really hoping for a fall release of a new camera that's NOT recycled parts (aside from the 12k sensor).
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

timbutt2

PostThu Jul 21, 2022 4:56 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:oh, i wonder! though it could just be complimentary for the Broadcast G2s???

I'm really hoping for a fall release of a new camera that's NOT recycled parts (aside from the 12k sensor).

More than likely the Broadcast G2 is the inspiration for the new ATEM SDI Models. However, I stand by hoping for more SDI in the Pockets in the future.

The Fall Release I'm hoping for is a massively updated design to the URSA Mini Pro and using the 12K sensor. This includes all the things I've said in the past including a Wireless Video Assist that controls camera settings via it's touch screen wirelessly. More ports obviously, and inclusion of lemo connections for powering devices like lens motors. Updated URSA Viewfinder Design...

I've said it all before. So that's my hope. But that's a cinema camera and not a broadcast camera. I think BMD is going to start making the high end cinema camera be exactly that: a cinema camera, and focus less on cross uses of broadcast and cinema. Maybe even an URSA Mini Pro and URSA Micro Pro option that is about pure cinema.

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Jul 21, 2022 6:18 pm

Three things I'd like to see.

SDI vrs HDMI
Interchangeable Mount
CF Express vrs CFast 2.0

If the sensor changed, increased dynamic range would be a plus.

Zweistein

PostThu Jul 21, 2022 7:47 pm

+1 to both.

I think if there wasn't a market for PL Pockets, all these manufacturers wouldnt make adapters.

I use the MTF Services MFT–>PL Adaptor. But there are more then 10 alternatives.
There's even a MFT–>PL focal reducer specifically for the P4K from Metabones, to get the full image circle diameter of S35 on your MFT sensor.
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 4:53 am

Zweistein wrote:...
There's even a MFT–>PL focal reducer specifically for the P4K from Metabones...

That certainly was true, but I was recently on the Metabones site and could no longer find it. I was thinking about pairing the Ultra 0.71x version with the Tokina 25-75mm Cinema ATX PL mount on the BMPCC4K.
Rick Lang

Andreas Caemmerer

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 6:40 am

+1 for PL Mount & SDI

Zweistein

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 9:47 am

rick.lang wrote:That certainly was true, but I was recently on the Metabones site and could no longer find it. I was thinking about pairing the Ultra 0.71x version with the Tokina 25-75mm Cinema ATX PL mount on the BMPCC4K.

Here it is: https://www.metabones.com/products/deta ... PL-M43-BT2

And here's a generic one: https://www.metabones.com/products/deta ... PL-M43-BT1
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

AlwaysWritePat

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 11:55 am

technically M43 is about as interchangeable as you can get. You can get just about any mount with or without focal reduction and different variations of that as well. RF would be the smarter play but we know why that most likely won't happen so no sense in beating that drum.

SDI on a pocket will bring a ton of fried ports from inexperienced shooters and turn them off to the company. Pockets are meant for entry-level and should stay that way IMO.

Marshall Harrington

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 3:04 pm

The Pocket I was suggesting was a higher end 6K Pro.

SDI versus HDMI
Interchangeable EF & PL lens mount
CF Express versus CFast 2

A higher dynamic range sensor if available.

I really like shooting with the 6K Pro. It's made me better at making images and not wrestling with gear. That it's easier to see image on the monitor and having built in ND's have helped tremendously. I also like having the ability 6K provides in post. Form factor is not an issue for me.

I've still got a couple of 4K's that I use in particular situations or as additional camera's in multicam shoots. But the 6K is my go to. I've been thinking about a G2 but will likely wait a bit longer. The smaller size suits my way of shooting. Once I get larger I'll likely need larger crews.

John Paines

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 3:24 pm

Marshall Harrington wrote:The Pocket I was suggesting was a higher end 6K Pro.

The obvious rejoinder to that is "a higher end 6K Pro" is a different camera. So buy that one instead.

This forum is not representative of the Pocket customer base. In the real world, the main complaint about the Pocket line is lack of continuous AF and IBIS. It's those kind of features which will sustain sales volumes. Box cameras, SDI ports and changeable mounts (for guys with one zoom lens?) is not for the masses.

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 23, 2022 1:19 am

Zweistein wrote:
rick.lang wrote:That certainly was true, but I was recently on the Metabones site and could no longer find it. I was thinking about pairing the Ultra 0.71x version with the Tokina 25-75mm Cinema ATX PL mount on the BMPCC4K.

Here it is: https://www.metabones.com/products/deta ... PL-M43-BT2

Must have been a senior moment when I couldn’t find it. Apparently no stock, but… Thanks!
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 23, 2022 1:44 am

John Paines wrote:... In the real world, the main complaint about the Pocket line is lack of continuous AF and IBIS...

No doubt those features would lead to increased sales especially among first-time buyers. I hope finding a way to 15 stops dynamic range is possible someday.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography