[Answered] Resovle Studio 17 ignores Solid Colour in Export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fanjan Combrink

[Answered] Resovle Studio 17 ignores Solid Colour in Export

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 9:27 am

EDIT: Thanks to Sven H for explaining that rendering Individual clips from a timeline will not include any adjustment layers from other tracks due to the historical purpose of rendering individual clips for dailies viewing. If adjustments are needed, tick "Flat Pass" in render settings to include any other adjustment tracks above track 1 on the timeline.

I have a very weird thing happening in Resolve 17 Studio at the moment. We did some face capturing with an iPhone last week.

To help with post facial tracking, I'm using Resolve to denoise the footage. I've added three nodes, first denoises, the second does some midDetail on the face only via a power window, then last node some some contrast via a curve.

To give animation department some options, I'm exporting the clips in a B&W version as well. To do this I duplicated the timeline, added a solid colour in the EDIT tab ontop of the clips track, the solid color is in black, then changed the composite blend mode of the solid color track to "Color" to make the footage B&W.

However, when I export this timeline, Resolve simply ignores the solid color layer and it's composite mode and exports the color footage and not a WYSIWYG.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Fanjan Combrink on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
WORK: Resolve Studio 17 | Win10-Pro64 | Intel i5-8400 | 32GB RAM 2400 | GeForce GTX1060 6GB RAM (Studio driver)

HOME: Resolve Studio 17 | Macbook Air M1 base model

Sven H

Re: [Bug?] Resovle Studio 17 ignores Solid Colour in Export

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 9:45 am

do you use 'individual clips' on export?
why not desaturate in the color tab. easiest way: add one timeline node and decrease sat to 0

Fanjan Combrink

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 9:51 am

Sven H wrote:do you use 'individual clips' on export?
why not desaturate in the color tab. easiest way: add one timeline node and decrease sat to 0

Yes, I do export them as individual clips. Do I need to add a solid color on each clip?

Dunno, I was just in the mood of doing it that way with the solid color :D
WORK: Resolve Studio 17 | Win10-Pro64 | Intel i5-8400 | 32GB RAM 2400 | GeForce GTX1060 6GB RAM (Studio driver)

Fanjan Combrink

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:03 am

Sven H wrote:do you use 'individual clips' on export?

I just tried adding a solid color ontop of each clip....Resolve still ignores it.

I just de-saturated each clip. I'd say this might then in fact be a bug.

Thanks Sven H

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:34 am

Set in and out and use single clip.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Sven H

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 12:54 pm

it's not a bug, it's a feature, literally. resolve treats each element in the timeline as an individual clip, therefore renders them individually.

use single clip with in and out or apply the desaturation as I said above

Howard Roll

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 4:57 pm

This comes up fairly often, the erroneous assumption is that individual clips means individual timeline segments.

Another solution for the OP would be to compound the clips prior to export.

Good Luck

Mads Johansen

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:05 am

Thank $deity_of_your_choosing or BMD for "Render timeline effects" in V18 that solves this problem
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Fanjan Combrink

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 7:01 am

Sven H wrote:it's not a bug, it's a feature, literally. resolve treats each element in the timeline as an individual clip, therefore renders them individually.

Wait. So...I use track 2 to insert a solid color over the top of Track 1. If I export the timeline, however I want the individual clips for whatever reason, any elements that falls above the clip in track 1 is ignored?

For example, given the screen grab below of a timeline I quickly created, it doesn't matter what I do on this timeline, exporting individual clips just ignores whatever happens in tracks 2 and above?
Attachments
Timeline.PNG
Timeline.PNG (122.87 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Sven H

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 7:18 am

Fanjan Combrink wrote:
Sven H wrote:it's not a bug, it's a feature, literally. resolve treats each element in the timeline as an individual clip, therefore renders them individually.

Wait. So...I use track 2 to insert a solid color over the top of Track 1. If I export the timeline, however I want the individual clips for whatever reason, any elements that falls above the clip in track 1 is ignored?

For example, given the screen grab below of a timeline I quickly created, it doesn't matter what I do on this timeline, exporting individual clips just ignores whatever happens in tracks 2 and above?
not by definition. it treats each element as an individual clip and renders every video clip from any track on its own. if you have multiple clips stacked on top it will render all of them (in their original length and frame rate, therefore retimes are ignored btw). since solids have an original length of 1 frame I think they will be rendered as single frame clips / or ignored (I don't have resolve in front of me atm)

Sven H

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 7:23 am

but in your example, yes it kinda ignores the stuff in v2 - v4.

"render individual clips" is commonly used in dailes, vfx pulls and other workflows that require roundtripping. if you combine it with "flat pass on" and "source resolution" for example you can easily pull vfx plates from a graded timeline without any workarounds (like changing timeline resolution, killing the grade temporarely etc.)

Fanjan Combrink

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 7:32 am

Sven H wrote:but in your example, yes it kinda ignores the stuff in v2 - v4.

"render individual clips" is commonly used in dailes, vfx pulls and other workflows that require roundtripping. if you combine it with "flat pass on" and "source resolution" for example you can easily pull vfx plates from a graded timeline without any workarounds (like changing timeline resolution, killing the grade temporarely etc.)

Thank you Sven H. The history behind it and how to "bypass" it with "flat pass" is valuable.

Return to DaVinci Resolve