Davinci crash during rendering

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

derohanes

Davinci crash during rendering

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 6:01 pm

I'm trying to make a video of a motorcycle ride up a canyon, and mark sites with text that is pinned to the site. The video below is me going by Storm Mountain (ignore the short blackout that happened as a result of my screen capture software). The grid is on along the whole clip, both before and after. I've got the text to come on and go away before and after I pin it to the mountain, but I don't know how to time the grid so that it will come on and off at the same times. I also do not know why It goes wacky at the end of the pinned section as I drive by. I think it is this that is causing rendering to crash. I get between 70% to 80% of the way through rendering each time and DaVinci crashes. As I proceed up the mountain, the grid goes back to normal and follows me up the mountain. I thought it was due to machine resources, so I went out and bought a system with a 6-core processor, 32GB RAM and G-Force engine. Much better viewing and editing, but crashes at the same place.

So, what's going on with the grid and how do I control the timing of it.

Marc Wielage

Re: Davinci crash during rendering

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 1:03 am

So these are Fusion compositions? What if you render out each of those separately, then bring them back into Resolve as flattened files?

What if you take the problematic sections and Render-in-Place on the Edit timeline?

Does it help to slow down the render speed drastically, like 4fps?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

derohanes

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 2:23 am

I'm going to try your first suggestion. To do that, I would create the text in a clip in Edit, then try to give it perspective, track and pin in fusion?

On your second recommendation, I don't know what "render-in-place" means.

Can you point me to any video tutorials using these methods?

Thanks.

derohanes

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 3:03 am

I added a video track and inserted Text+ Title. Then adjusted parameters frame by frame. Is this what you meant as the first option? Ait's a bit "floaty".

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:06 pm

derohanes wrote:I'm going to try your first suggestion. To do that, I would create the text in a clip in Edit, then try to give it perspective, track and pin in fusion?

That would be one method.

On your second recommendation, I don't know what "render-in-place" means.

Covered starting on p. 789 of the Resolve 17.4 manual. It basically embeds any effect and color you've done on a shot so that it will play back in real-time using the file codec selected.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve