ATEM Cam Converter (SDI Audio and fibre distance question)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Zack Pittman

ATEM Cam Converter (SDI Audio and fibre distance question)

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi there,

I actually have 2 questions about the ATEM camera converter. How many channels of audio transfers between the 2 units? I see on the tech specs that the camera audio inputs embed over channels 1&2 and the intercom channels over channel 15&16. But what about channels 3-14? If i have audio embed into those channels on the SDI do those transfer?

Also, I'm looking to use these to transfer audio and video live between 2 campuses that are 8 miles apart from each other. I'm looking to get a point to point fibre line from local utilities companies to make this happen. Has anyone on here ever done anything like this with non IP based fiber products like these?

Thanks in advance!
Z

mdwalleman

Re: ATEM Cam Converter (SDI Audio and fibre distance questio

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Audio: Only audio channels 1 and 2 pass. Period. I have asked why. No explanation other than "we are aware that there have been many feature requests and may implement more audio channels in the future".

Distance: Spec sheet states 28 Miles max distance on Single Mode Fiber. Multimode will not likely work at that distance. I have done exactly what you're speaking of. It will depend on the local telco service and what they're willing to do for you.
Mark D. Walleman

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 12:28 am

the BM units are indeed rated for 28 miles (or 45 km)! as long as you get a singlemode fiber run you should be fine. but ASK your telco provider how long the fiber connection will actually be...just because it's 8 miles between your properties doesn't mean that's where the fiber is buried, or where the connection points are. you may be many miles longer depending on where these points are...

most of our various fiber units are rated for 15km or more. we haven't really pushed this much past 2 miles (12,000 feet), but do so routinely with no issue...

if you need more audio channels than the camera converter passes, i recommend using the Optical Fiber mini-converters. we rolled our own camera converter units using these so we could take advantage of more channels. our solution passes thru ch 1-12 from the camera input (and 1-12 on the return video) while using 13-16 both ways for 2mic/2ifb/2 intercom channels.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Zack Pittman

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 am

mdwalleman... I just got official word from BM myself that only channels 1&2 pass... but that would mean they are lying on their tech specs. It clearly says that the intercoms are embed on channels 15&16 also. So according to the website it should at least pass 4 channels in theory. You would think since it's twice the price of the mini converter fiber box, it would do more than offer a volume button...

MambaFiber... Thanks so much for the info also! I will be contacting local fiber telco companies tomorrow!

I think a couple Audio to SDI boxes and a Mini convert fiber box will do the trick for me!

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 1:25 am

i think they are embedding the whole 16ch package on the camera converters but without any I/O. would explain why they don't pass anything else. point of fact, embedding happens in groups of 4, so if you embed 1-2 then 3-4 comes along for the ride too. anyhow the mini-converter solution is working very well for us. we packaged it all in a 1RU box on each end, each with only one power cord to deal with, very nice...maybe BM should have me design their future fiber toys... :D
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Richard Courtney

PostThu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 am

Regarding fiber, we contracted with cable companies as they use fiber for distribution as well.
Dark fiber is not uncommon at major venues, sports arenas, convention centers, etc. Other
locations may come at a premium install to say the least.

One thing, our companies use ST (telco) and SC (FTTH) sockets so make sure you have
or arrange proper single mode patch adapters to connect with their service panel.

Return to Live Production