Automatic cutting with Multicam?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

atmosfar

Automatic cutting with Multicam?

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 1:04 pm

I'd like to recreate the kind of conference-call style of video where the person speaking is shown, and then it cuts to the next person who speaks. Zoom, Skype etc use voice activity detection to trigger this change. I have a bunch of ISOs that were concurrently recorded for a video podcast. Is there anything similar that could be used in Resolve?

I'll take suggestions on external workarounds too... I'm thinking of some kind of a script which analyses the audio of the synced videos and creates an EDL...

Jim Simon

Re: Automatic cutting with Multicam?

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 2:07 pm

You'll have to do this manually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

atmosfar

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You'll have to do this manually.

Seems like an obvious feature to add given how heavily they're emphasizing multicam editing lately.

OBS has a plugin which does it - https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... tcher.395/

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 6:11 pm

Nether OBS nor Zoom are tools commonly used by Hollywood or Broadcast producers.

Resolve is.

The needs and feature set differ greatly here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

atmosfar

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 7:31 pm

There's plenty BM could take from both : )

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 8:52 pm

I suppose. But could and should are different concepts.

Premiere Pro went down that path and I think it hurt the software. So I'm leaning towards should not on this one.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jason Conrad

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 6:31 am

BMD's ATEM mini pro iso will let you save a project file which includes all of the switching. It's not voice activated, but it has an ethernet jack for external control, and there's a SDK available, so it *might* be possible to develop your own solution if it's really that important... or you could just push the buttons.

Python and Lua scripting are also built into Resolve, so with the help of some external software control module to do the audio analysis, it's perfectly possible to do in Resolve alone, if you don't need to do it live.

Or, you could always just screen capture the zoom call. I think I've heard zoom embeds watermarks, so you might want to look into the copyright and fair use issues, depending on what you're planning.

And then there's always the good, old-fashioned manual multicam edit, like Jim says. R17 has a new Video Collage effect, which makes that a lot easier.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

atmosfar

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 3:30 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:Python and Lua scripting are also built into Resolve, so with the help of some external software control module to do the audio analysis, it's perfectly possible to do in Resolve alone, if you don't need to do it live.

This is looking like something I may have to investigate. Maybe python has a nice voice activity detection library I can use. Or I'm sure it can be done crudely with FFMPEG somehow.

Or, you could always just screen capture the zoom call. I think I've heard zoom embeds watermarks, so you might want to look into the copyright and fair use issues, depending on what you're planning.

I'm not actually recording using Zoom, I was just using it as a reference for video calling software. I have a bunch of locally recorded camera feeds from remotely.fm.

And then there's always the good, old-fashioned manual multicam edit, like Jim says. R17 has a new Video Collage effect, which makes that a lot easier.

Hadn't heard of that, will check it out. Thank you.

AhrenLanfor

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 8:44 pm

I need this feature in multi cam also. I have hours of live event footage that I need edited in multicam and like the atem mini would be very helpful to have a macro I can setup to automatically cut at whatever timed intervals I set. I don't care about holly wood or pros and why this should or shouldn't be in resolve. I use black magic products and use resolve all the time and this is a feature I need. I can easily fine tune scenes that need more nuance in the edit afterwards.
System Information
Resolve Studio 17.3
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363)
System Model: X570 AORUS ULTRA
Nvidia RTX 3090
Memory: 65484MB RAM

Trevor Asquerthian

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 9:39 pm

There's a reaper plugin that does this. Can't see that it would ever deliver very useful results though.

Better to do a hot switch pass.

atmosfar

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 5:40 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:There's a reaper plugin that does this. Can't see that it would ever deliver very useful results though.

Would you mind sharing a link to the plugin? I use Reaper.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 6:44 pm

atmosfar wrote:
Trevor Asquerthian wrote:There's a reaper plugin that does this. Can't see that it would ever deliver very useful results though.

Would you mind sharing a link to the plugin? I use Reaper.

Return to DaVinci Resolve