HDMI to SDI mini converter line order

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joris Robijn

HDMI to SDI mini converter line order

PostSun Oct 06, 2013 11:32 am

It appears the downconverter in the HDMI to SDI mini converter has a bug in the line order.
I am using 1920x1080 output on my laptop. 1080/50p and 1080/25p works well, but 1080/50i gives an incorrect line order (odd/even first) when going through the downconverter. When not going through the downconverter at this resolution the line order is good on the output, so my source is not the problem.

The incorrect line order can be recognized easily: graphical lines appear as double lines on the output, and small text becomes unreadable. On video with motion, incorrect interlacing always gives terrible motion effects (that's normally the case, but I don't have a camera with 1080i HDMI output).

Is this a known problem ?

Hersh Burston

Blackmagic Design

Re: HDMI to SDI mini converter line order

PostWed Oct 09, 2013 10:53 pm

We checked this using a D5 first to make sure that the correct order was being sent from our source. This source video contains a field order indicator, so once the video is recorded, we are able to shuffle through each field to see if the correct field order is being emitted from the card. This passed.
We then ran the output through the miniconverter and checked using the same method on the D5. This worked as expected, first field is upper.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production