AI Gyro Stabilization

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cepiper

AI Gyro Stabilization

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 6:39 pm

Wondering how to access the feature of stabilizing footage using the gyro data from BRAW footage

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: AI Gyro Stabilization

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 2:01 am

Edit page, stabilization tab.. select camera gyro in the pulldown.

or color page, tracker, stabilization tab.. select camera icon then camera gyro in the pulldown.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 3:59 am

Please note that Camera Gyro is available as a stabilization option only if valid gyro information is found.

Jason Conrad

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 4:19 am

Helps to update the camera firmware. The feature didn't show up for me until I did, and I think I was only 2 or 3 minor versions behind.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

billbyrnes

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 9:22 am

I believe that if you also have to have image stabilization on the lens turned off for gyro stabilization to be available. This is the case with my Canon lens.

Bill Byrnes

Frank Engel

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 10:30 am

billbyrnes wrote:I believe that if you also have to have image stabilization on the lens turned off for gyro stabilization to be available. This is the case with my Canon lens.

Yes, it was explained in another thread that because the camera doesn't know what the IS in the lens is doing, the gyro data would be invalid for stabilization purposes, so the camera does not retain it - in other words, the gyro data would reflect movement of the camera, but the assumption when using that data is that the lens follows suit, while in practice the lens is already trying to compensate for the movement so the captured footage won't match the gyro data anyway.

Rrrbbb

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 5:44 pm

This is not working for me. Have an updated pocket 4k and Beta 5 on Mac Pro 2013 (Monterey). When I use the gyro stabilisation it zooms the footage like 1000% so I just see pixels... If I untick Zoom the footage is going crazy jumping around the screen. Hopefully it will be working in next beta?

SteveDGreen

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 8:32 am

I don't know if it will help in your case, but it might be worth checking to see if your camera is picking up lens metadata

Swiping left on the screen brings up the option to see lens data, and you can enter it manually

On my 6K Pro, I tried it out with a long lens (135mm Tamron), but since it wasn't an EF lens, it didn't pick up what it was - I've seen that it defaults to assuming it's an 18mm lens if it doesn't know.

Trying stabilisation on footage with this lens barely did anything (which would make sense if it thought it was an 18mm)

When I manually entered the data in the camera, it worked fine

Maybe there's something like that happening?

Rrrbbb

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 10:59 am

SteveDGreen wrote:I don't know if it will help in your case, but it might be worth checking to see if your camera is picking up lens metadata

Swiping left on the screen brings up the option to see lens data, and you can enter it manually

On my 6K Pro, I tried it out with a long lens (135mm Tamron), but since it wasn't an EF lens, it didn't pick up what it was - I've seen that it defaults to assuming it's an 18mm lens if it doesn't know.

Trying stabilisation on footage with this lens barely did anything (which would make sense if it thought it was an 18mm)

When I manually entered the data in the camera, it worked fine

Maybe there's something like that happening?

Thank you, that did indeed make it work. There needs to be a drop down lens box in stabilisation when using the gyro as I'm certainly not going to be telling my camera which lens is connected every time I change shot...
Results wise - the stabilisation from my Canon lenses give much much better results but I suppose its nice to have this as a back up too when using other lenses so thanks to BM for the work!

paffogorriones

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 11:06 am

I have an odd one ,
hardware used: latest macbook pro 16 , updated to davinci 18 beta, latest release, BMPCC 6K Pro updated to latest firmware.
Shoot a series of clip , same lens , same setting.
tried to stabilize using gyro and i worked, incredibly well , i was really impress !!
Opened the project the day after and gyro option had disappeared from all my clip, only the one saved with gyro stabilization still has the option in the drop down menu, any other clip doesnt have it .
so i re calibrate the gyro in camera , tried to shoot again with different lenses , (all without lens stabilazation)
import the files and again .. no gyro .... ??? BUG ?

SteveDGreen

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 11:09 am

Hi, glad it helped

Yeah, you can enter lens data in the clip menu inside resolve, but when I tried that, it didn't make a difference to what stabilization was doing - either using that info or directly in the stabilization menu would make sense

ericwesto

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 9:43 pm

Can you use the post-stabilizing footage feature in Premiere Pro or is this feature only for DaVinci?

SteveDGreen

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 7:17 am

Hi,

nothing in Premiere Pro (yet) AFAIK - there's a standalone free app called Gyroflow which can use it, although you need to feed it non-BRAW for the video (still uses BRAW for the stabilisation data)

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 7:23 am

For lenses which don't communicate with the camera, you'll need to put in the focal length in the camera's slate, it won't work after the fact.

Gyroflow is giving you more fine-tuning abilities, but the workflow is getting pretty complicated. You'll need both the BRAW, a ProRes version and a lens calibration file.

Finally, there's the Gyroflow plug-in for DR if you want to work with your original sources after you have generated a stabilisation file in Gyroflow (.gyroflow, give DR the full path).

P.S. I haven't yet seen a problem in DR with Gyro stabilisation disappearing.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mark Foster

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 5:29 pm

cepiper wrote:Wondering how to access the feature of stabilizing footage using the gyro data from BRAW footage

firmware 7.9 on any actually pocket camera and resolve 18 studio
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Return to DaVinci Resolve