How do I Correct Gamma Shift in DaVinci Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Trans-Galactic Express

How do I Correct Gamma Shift in DaVinci Resolve?

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 2:16 am

So, I've been using DaVinci Resolve for a little while making simple videos, one thing I noticed recently that is a bit peculiar is that some of my video clips when I drag them into a timeline become discolored in a fashion I can only describe as a reduction in saturation, more heavily on the red side of the spectrum.

Before importing:
After importing:
(Sorry, I couldn't get the exact same moment in the clips)

The reds and yellows become notably more pale, while the greens and blues seems just to shift down the spectrum. Any idea what's causing this and how I can prevent this from happening?
Last edited by Trans-Galactic Express on Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Uli Plank

Re: Video clip distortion

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 8:16 am

What's your setting for color management und what is your camera recording?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 8:38 am

Where is the ”before” coming from, what’s the reference for you? Gamma shift issues work both ways, both on import and export. And it could also be color management related as Uli pointed out.
I do stuff

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 2:09 pm

Improper Data/Video level setting maybe?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Trans-Galactic Express

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 7:21 pm

Uli Plank wrote:What's your setting for color management und what is your camera recording?

I'm not sure. I'm simply using an iPhone 13 to record video.

Trans-Galactic Express

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 7:31 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Where is the ”before” coming from, what’s the reference for you? Gamma shift issues work both ways, both on import and export. And it could also be color management related as Uli pointed out.

Knowing that this issue is called gamma shift is really useful, thank you. I should probably rename the subject accordingly.

The "before import" is directly from my smartphone, which is an iPhone 13. When importing to iMovie, there is no noticeable gamma shift, and I've only had this issue when I started using DaVinci Resolve (I don't know how useful that information is). I'll continue doing research to see how I can troubleshoot this.

ZRGARDNE

Re: How do I Correct Gamma Shift in DaVinci Resolve?

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 5:10 am

There are two potential problems here.

If you are editing on a Mac, the OS does things you don't want it to do and changes the Gamma. There is no fix to this, other than use Windows or Linux. but there are work arounds that work most of the time. Of course clients on Mac OS have problems regardless of what OS you export from

There is also the fact that the new Iphones record in HDR, so you need to assign a proper color space in Resolve.

Trans-Galactic Express

Re: How do I Correct Gamma Shift in DaVinci Resolve?

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 12:21 am

All of this information has been very helpful, thank you.

Return to DaVinci Resolve