ATEM Mini does not want to connect to my computer

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

CBMOKENG

ATEM Mini does not want to connect to my computer

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 6:19 am

Good day

My ATEM Mini does not want to connect to my computer. I have tried various method of installing the software in different computers but i am still unable.

There is a red light button that is on the lefthand side that is forever on the ATEM Mini device. The red light in on the ON bottom at the top lefthand side of the ATEM Mini. Whenever i press other buttons the light does not change. It is as if the ATEM Mini is stuck.

Kindly assist me in resolving the problem.

CBMOKENG

ATEM Mini failed to download from my computer

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 6:33 pm

I just bought the new ATM mini and I am trying to get it running urgently for a conference I have at the weekend.

I downloaded the latest ATEM software for my computer and plugged the device into my internet switch (same on as my laptop). When I run the ATEM Setup, the device is recognised and it shows it's plugged into the ethernet. When I try and click on either of the two buttons (about and setup I think) I just get a message:

Failed to connect.
Please check your network connection.

I have tried different cat6 cables and switched the device on and off.

Not a good start :(

Please could you help me resolve this?

Lance Lewis

Re: ATEM Mini does not want to connect to my computer

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 2:36 pm

Your post brings up a bunch of different questions that are likely unrelated.

The "On" button that is lit up on the upper left hand side is the Mic 1 audio button. The only way to turn it off is to hit the "Off" button directly to the right of it. No other buttons would affect it. Have you tried hitting the "Off button" directly to the right of it?

Next: Connecting the ATEM to your computer so you can use the ATEM Control Software

1. How are you trying to connect to your computer? With the mini you can connect through either the usb-c cable or an ethernet cable

2. Are you plugged directly your ATEM directly into your computer or are you plugging both your computer and your ATEM into a switch?

3. Have you checked to see if it's a bad cable?

4. The number one problem I have when I can't get a computer to connect is that the networking on the computer doesn't quite work correctly. Here's how I fix it. I get the IP of the ATEM and right that down. Then I go into my networking properties and change the adapter settings to be Manual instead of DHCP. Then I manually enter the appropriate IP address. This is where most people get messed up because they enter the IP of the ATEM here.....but that won't work. Instead you have to enter everything the same except the first IP number. For example if your IP for your ATEM is 192.168.10.240 you would enter 192.168.10.??? The question marks can be any number between 2 and 255 but not 240 (because every device must have a unique number on the network). It will ask you for the subnet which will be 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway which, in this case, will be 192.168.10.1 Sometimes you will need some additional information and it looks slightly different if you are on a mac or pc. From time to time I have to manually enter this because for whatever reason the DHCP just doesn't work right.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

floh79

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Just for your information, DHCP are available only for ATEM Mini Pro and upwards. See there:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122190

Best regards
Floh

codedeltajames

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 8:49 am

CBMOKENG wrote:There is a red light button that is on the lefthand side that is forever on the ATEM Mini device. The red light in on the ON bottom at the top lefthand side of the ATEM Mini. Whenever i press other buttons the light does not change. It is as if the ATEM Mini is stuck.

This sounds like it's stuck in bootloader mode, which happens when there is no working firmware in the device. Ignore the issues with connecting it to a computer, at the moment your issue is that your Atem is not working.

To repair a device in bootloader mode, you need to connect it to a computer with a USB cable and then use the Atem Setup application to install the firmware. If this doesn't work or you can't get it to connect to that, you need to talk to your retailer about getting the Atem returned. If it's a brand new device and has no working firmware that would make me very suspect about the condition of the rest of the device and I would be talking to the retailer about a replacement.

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 3:53 pm

CBMOKENG wrote:It is as if the ATEM Mini is stuck.
If a power cycle doesn't correct that, you may need to send it out for repair.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Darryl

Re: ATEM Mini failed to download from my computer

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 2:40 am

CBMOKENG wrote:... I downloaded the latest ATEM software for my computer and plugged the device into my internet switch (same on as my laptop).

The BMD recommendation is for the initial connection to be USB. That way you can configure the network to match your local system. Configuring an ATEM is no different to configuring any other device on a network that isn't plug and play.

Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Darryl

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 3:10 am

Lance Lewis wrote:4. The number one problem I have when I can't get a computer to connect is that the networking on the computer doesn't quite work correctly. Here's how I fix it. I get the IP of the ATEM and right that down. Then I go into my networking properties and change the adapter settings to be Manual instead of DHCP. Then I manually enter the appropriate IP address. This is where most people get messed up because they enter the IP of the ATEM here.....but that won't work. Instead you have to enter everything the same except the first IP number. For example if your IP for your ATEM is 192.168.10.240 you would enter 192.168.10.??? The question marks can be any number between 2 and 255 but not 240 (because every device must have a unique number on the network). It will ask you for the subnet which will be 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway which, in this case, will be 192.168.10.1 Sometimes you will need some additional information and it looks slightly different if you are on a mac or pc. From time to time I have to manually enter this because for whatever reason the DHCP just doesn't work right.

Lance,

that process as described is potentially misleading, if you would permit me to comment on it as someone who runs a tech and comms business. There is no reason to change your computer from DHCP to manual. If DHCP doesn't work for the computer then there are other issues that need to be addressed and which still may cause issues with a manual IP address. If you do set an address manually then you just can't pick any address that isn't the ATEM. It has to be an address that isn't in use by ANY device on the network, or the first and last address in the address block. ANY device includes those that have been the network previously, as when they do connect back onto the network, they will try to use that address and be in conflict with the one you have set manually.

BTW, the config data you gave isn't guaranteed to work 100% of the time either, although it probably will work in the vast majority of situations. It definitely wouldn't work in our kit as I have it setup as a self-contained subnet that will connect seamlessly into a network such as you described without doing anything to that network except consume internet bandwidth.

I am writing this to try to prevent problems, and hope it will help if you do run into these limitations.

Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Dougm321

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 12:00 am

Delete Atem Mini USB drivers, and reset to factory setting. Down grade from the latest firmware. Load the USB drivers and then update firmware. That how I fix mine.

Return to Live Production