Video Does Not Play Correct While Working In Fairlight Page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cdhodgdon

Video Does Not Play Correct While Working In Fairlight Page

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 6:00 pm

I am fairly new to DaVinci Resolve and I love it, but I do have an issue that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere online, but maybe I am using the wrong words in my search. I use proxies and optimized media when working on my videos. They seem to play correctly in most of the windows, and I can add audio while in the cut and edit screen no problem.

Now, when I go to the Fairlight window, the audio works great, but the video playback is almost nonexistent. If I use the speed wheel to move frame by frame it does show the video along with the correct audio or if I use the Rewind/Fast Forward button on the page, it does, but not when just playing it.

I am working on a video right now from the 4th of July. I would like to be able to watch the video running correctly in the Fairlight page, while I check and adjust sounds within there or am I thinking about it wrong and only need to use the Fairlight page with the speed editor and just go one frame at a time?

Thanks in advance.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Video Does Not Play Correct While Working In Fairlight P

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 6:23 pm

The Fairlight page prioritises audio playback.

What is your system spec? Timeline settings? Proxy format and resolution?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

cdhodgdon

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 6:30 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:The Fairlight page prioritises audio playback.

What is your system spec? Timeline settings? Proxy format and resolution?

I know that my specs may not be the best, but it actually does process very well, but I have the following:

HP Zbook, i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz, 32 gigs of ram, working drive is an SSD. DR 18, Proxy Format (according to project settings) is H.264 set to half resolution, not sure what on the timeline settings you are looking for. I have attached a screen shot of what it shows under project settings for timeline. If something else helps let me know.

settings.png
settings.png (41.42 KiB) Viewed 477 times

cdhodgdon

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 6:32 pm

Here is a screen shot showing the Optimized Media section of the settings.

optimized.png
optimized.png (57.29 KiB) Viewed 476 times

Reynaud Venter

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 7:39 pm

Are you running Resolve Standard (free) or Studio? Consider DNxHR LB proxies.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

cdhodgdon

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 2:59 am

I have the Studio version.

WestCoastDP

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 3:57 am

I have that HP G2 also. But the years have taken it's toll. Not fast enough for heavy DR, unless you have a GPU faster than a NVIDIA Quadro K610M. That GPU only has 1Gig of video RAM which my HP contained. It's now used for internet only.
Atari 400
King Tuba

cdhodgdon

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 4:10 am

WestCoastDP wrote:I have that HP G2 also. But the years have taken it's toll. Not fast enough for heavy DR, unless you have a GPU faster than a NVIDIA Quadro K610M. That GPU only has 1Gig of video RAM which my HP contained. It's now used for internet only.

This machine has the NVIDIA Quadro K2100M. While not the top of the line, it does rather well. Funny enough, now that I have upgraded to DR 18 Studio, it actually ones better, it's just this Fairlight issue. Now, if I have to just use Fairlight to do a frame by frame check to find where to set my audio, like th explosion of a firework, then I guess I can deal with that.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 8:48 am

According to the Nvidia listings the K2100M only has a Compute Capability of 3.0. To support CUDA 11 which Resolve requires you need a GPU with a minimum Compute Capability of 3.5. Without that capability you will be limited to using OpenCL.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve