How to reset BM Pocket Cinema 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Findi72

How to reset BM Pocket Cinema 4K

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 7:17 pm

I have a problem. I have installed a new firmware on my camera. My computer crashed during the installation. So the installation also broke off. The camera has not started since then. The tally light flashes (white). A connection to the computer via USB is not possible. The camera setup shows: "No camera found". So I can't install an older version of the firmware either. Is there a trick to reset the camera to the factory settings using a combination of keys. Sorry, my English is not the best. I hope you find an answer.

Findi72

Re: How to reset BM Pocket Cinema 4K

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm

The problem is solved. Thanks to the excellent support and to Jake Cook.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Glad to hear that Jürgen!
Just in case someone stumbles over this thread via Google: the procedure is described here:
viewtopic.php?p=725588#p725588
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

AdrianFx360

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 12:40 pm

Findi72 wrote:I have a problem. I have installed a new firmware on my camera. My computer crashed during the installation. So the installation also broke off. The camera has not started since then. The tally light flashes (white). A connection to the computer via USB is not possible. The camera setup shows: "No camera found". So I can't install an older version of the firmware either. Is there a trick to reset the camera to the factory settings using a combination of keys. Sorry, my English is not the best. I hope you find an answer.

Hello!! how did you solve it?
Rock, Digital Marketing & Audiovisual Projects

Robert Niessner

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm

AdrianFx360 wrote:
Findi72 wrote:I have a problem. I have installed a new firmware on my camera. My computer crashed during the installation. So the installation also broke off. The camera has not started since then. The tally light flashes (white). A connection to the computer via USB is not possible. The camera setup shows: "No camera found". So I can't install an older version of the firmware either. Is there a trick to reset the camera to the factory settings using a combination of keys. Sorry, my English is not the best. I hope you find an answer.

Have you read the whole thread?
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

AdrianFx360

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 5:12 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
AdrianFx360 wrote:

Have you read the whole thread?

Yes, I have tried the trick you are talking about, but it didn't work for me. Thank you!

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 5:41 pm

Sorry, I can’t speak from personal experience on this problem, but I’d see if you can fool the camera setup program.

Begin by reinstalling the latest camera setup for your camera:
Be sure to delete the current camera setup using the delete icon after unzipping the latest camera setup download.
Then install and open the new camera setup app.
Then turn your camera On and give it some time to restart.
Then connect your USB cable to the camera and the computer with a cable that you are very confident it works well.
Then see if you can start the camera setup app’s update function even if it doesn’t see the camera! Be patient to wait a couple of minutes at least as you won’t know if it’s working in the background.

This may take a few attempts with some variation in the sequence of steps. I remember vaguely ages ago someone did get the camera firmware to update even though it appeared not to be happening.
Rick Lang

AdrianFx360

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 pm

rick.lang wrote:Sorry, I can’t speak from personal experience on this problem, but I’d see if you can fool the camera setup program.

Begin by reinstalling the latest camera setup for your camera:
Be sure to delete the current camera setup using the delete icon after unzipping the latest camera setup download.
Then install and open the new camera setup app.
Then turn your camera On and give it some time to restart.
Then connect your USB cable to the camera and the computer with a cable that you are very confident it works well.
Then see if you can start the camera setup app’s update function even if it doesn’t see the camera! Be patient to wait a couple of minutes at least as you won’t know if it’s working in the background.

This may take a few attempts with some variation in the sequence of steps. I remember vaguely ages ago someone did get the camera firmware to update even though it appeared not to be happening.

hello! In my case it is that the usb port does not work. The ssd does not recognize me and when connecting to the pc it does not react. Even if I tried to turn on while pressing the focus button.

my intention is to connect my camera to the ssd to film. :(

Robert Niessner

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 6:13 pm

AdrianFx360 wrote:hello! In my case it is that the usb port does not work. The ssd does not recognize me and when connecting to the pc it does not react. Even if I tried to turn on while pressing the focus button.

my intention is to connect my camera to the ssd to film. :(

Then you are having a completely different problem scenario then the original topic poster.

If you are looking for help, then you need to go more into the details of your problem, which hardware you are using and what exactly in which step you did.
Otherwise you are asking us to somehow read your mind - which unfortunately is still not possible - but we are working on it ;-)
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

AdrianFx360

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 6:35 pm

I prefer to communicate with technical support. Thanks!
Last edited by AdrianFx360 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 7:03 pm

AdrianFx360 wrote:From the beginning I noticed a certain hostility in you although I don't understand why, I don't know you. but I'll explain: I asked the person who started the thread, because just like me, his USB port was not connected, and it's the same problem that I have - "A connection to the computer via USB is not possible. The camera setup shows: "No camera found. So I can't install an older version of the firmware either. "- and I wanted to know what you did to solve your problem in case your solution could work for me. My camera is a bmpcc 4k and the firmware is 7.3. But thanks, as I see that you are a gentleman (ironically), I prefer to communicate with technical support. Thanks!

Look - maybe you try to see this from my perspective: there is a user posting one sentence asking a question which already has been answered. Interpretation: didn't care to read but expects help.
You did not say that you have already tried the steps. Neither did you give any other information.

Then you tell that the USB port doesn't work. And that an SSD isn't recognized and your PC doesn't see "it" (are you talking about the SSD or the camera). Then you say your intention is to use the SSD with the camera for recording.

How on earth should any reader of your text know why there is any connection to the problem of the topic poster?

You did not tell which SSD.
You did no tell if you tested other cables.
You did not tell if your PC recognizes the SSD.
You did not tell that you attempted to upgrade/downgrade your camera firmware.

When getting asked for details, you start to get picky. I mean, can you even reflect a little bit about how you came over to other people who cannot see you, what you are doing and without any technical details, but try to help?

I am here since 2013 and I've helped really a lot of people. I like to help. Helping costs me time. But what really bugs me are people who waste my time because they can't put a tiny bit of thought into writing out their problem.
I do this in my spare time, for people I have never seen before. So just respect the time of others trying to help. I don't think this is too much to ask.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

AdrianFx360

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 7:50 pm

Last edited by AdrianFx360 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:22 pm

It seems that your ability to empathize with others is rather weak. I tried to explain to you why your posting was not understandable and how it was received by others. It seems that you still do not care. I am sorry for that.

I probably know the solution to your problem, but based on your strange behavior, I guess you will have to wait for someone else to help you. Good luck.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 7:08 am

I suggest you try technical support, since your problem is different from the thread starter's one.

With that attitude towards one of our most helpful and knowledgeable forum members you won't get far here. He was asking very valid questions to be able to help.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

AdrianFx360

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:04 am

Delete my comments because they don't help anyone and I recommend you do the same if you really want to help someone who needs to know.

In my particular case I have sent my usb port to be repaired. Peace people.

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:53 pm

Rick Lang

Influence

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 12:26 pm

My BMPCC 4k won't power on despite being connected to my fully charged external battery pack (anton bauer titon base kit for bmpcc) through a dummy battery to dtap.

The only time the camera powers on is when my external monitor (Blackmagic Video assist 5" 3G) is plugged into the same external V-mount battery pack (anton bauer titon base kit for bmpcc) and the HDMI cable is attached to both the camera and the monitor.

To troubleshoot, I have:
1. Plugged the battery directly to the monitor and the monitor worked, so the battery is fine.
2. The dummy battery powers the camera when the monitor is plugged in, so the dummy battery to dtap cable is fine too.
3. Connected the camera through USB to the computer being powered by the same external battery. A red light indicator comes on but the camera is not recognised.
4. Held down the focus button while trying to power on the camera, no success there.
5. Sent a mail to BM support, no response yet.

Please, does anyone have a solution?

Return to Cinematography