Decklink Duo Poor Quality

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jordan_hitscan

Decklink Duo Poor Quality

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 12:40 am

Hello,

I'm sure this is probably something wrong with my settings somewhere so any help would be appreciated!

I have a Decklink Duo 2 taking in 3 cameras at 1080p59.94. One is a PTZOptics cam coming in direct via SDI, one is a Canon XA11 running through a Decimator (HDMI -> SDI), and one is cheapy little MOKOSE SDI cam. For some reason, all of these cameras look extremely bad. I was willing to chok it up to being a cheap camera with the MOKOSE but I'm at a loss for why the PTZ and Canon look as bad as they do.

Here's some reference images (best viewed at full size):

• Canon:

• PTZ

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Decklink Duo Poor Quality

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 3:02 am

The DeckLink Duo 2 is an uncompressed capture device, so it typically just takes the video data sent in through the SDI inputs and makes it available to the computer.

However, the images posted seem like they have some kind of compression applied. So the question is what software are you using to record the incoming video? What kind of capture, codec, and encoding settings are being used? That's probably where you should be looking for any quality issues.

Howard Roll

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 6:57 am

I was just on a gig and they used OBS for capture. Latency was fantastic but the compression was pretty nasty. Dropping the frame rate to 29.97 will halve the amount of data and should improve IQ.

Good Luck

P.S. How many points have you got there?

jordan_hitscan

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:39 am

Howard Roll wrote:I was just on a gig and they used OBS for capture. Latency was fantastic but the compression was pretty nasty. Dropping the frame rate to 29.97 will halve the amount of data and should improve IQ.

Good Luck

P.S. How many points have you got there?

Interesting, I'll have to look into reducing the framerate maybe. I've checked it in several different programs (vMix, OBS, Media Express) and I'm seeing the same thing across the board.

Also, I think I have close to 15-20k points across all my armies at this point!

jordan_hitscan

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:42 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:The DeckLink Duo 2 is an uncompressed capture device, so it typically just takes the video data sent in through the SDI inputs and makes it available to the computer.

However, the images posted seem like they have some kind of compression applied. So the question is what software are you using to record the incoming video? What kind of capture, codec, and encoding settings are being used? That's probably where you should be looking for any quality issues.

I've checked it in several different programs (vMix, OBS, Media Express) with various codec/encode settings and I'm seeing it across the board. I'm going to try a framerate reduction to see if that helps and if not I'll get back to you with specifics of where those settings lie currently.

Return to Live Production