Ssd Samsung T5

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Dandads

Ssd Samsung T5

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 1:28 pm

I have purchased a SAMSUNG T5 1tb SSD but I can’t get to record for more than a few seconds in 6k 3.1 or 5.1 or even 8.1 . Even when I go down to the lower frame sizes all the way down to 4K. It will only record for a few seconds unless I go down to 2k at 8.1 .? Why is this ??

GalinMcMahon

Re: Ssd Samsung T5

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 6:54 pm

Are you using the cable that came with the drive? It's pretty important to do that. Also, have you formatted the drive via the camera?
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

dondidnod

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 7:56 pm

The cable that comes with a Samsung T5 is part of the problem.

Reliable USB-C Cable for camera

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162387&p=859320&hilit=+right+length+for+me+to+loop+it+#p859320

Dandads

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 1:12 pm

I formatted the ssd from on the camera and used a number if different usb type c cables from the ones that came with the t5 and also the ones that came with my t7 I know that the t7 is not compatible with recording on the black magic 6k but the cables that come with it should be fast enough to use with the t5 as the t7 is a faste drive than the t5 so I would think that the cables should be good enough also I have used a number of other diffuse type c cables.
If none of these are any good then can someone please point me in the right direction to purchase compatible cables. As I keep seeing videos with people saying that they film in 6k at 5.1 on the bkackmagic pocket 6k straight to the Samsung t5 so I don’t see why I can’t get it to work.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 1:37 am

The Samsung cables and many cables out in the market are not good.

Buy this instead or the one from Angelbird.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YFMTJBK?ps ... ct_details
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dandads

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 1:55 pm

Thanks for the information
I have used the cables that came with the drives and also brought some from what I read on the forum ie thunderbolt 4 cables and also purchased a new ssd the sandisk extreme pro 1tb of which I read that some other users have and they all say that there’s work fine and also that they can film in full 6k at at least 5.1 ratio or higher but anytime I try the camera drops frames and stops recording. I also have a sandisk extreme pro sdxc uhs-ll card and that still won’t capture at more tha 4K 8.1 for more than a few seconds at a time please can you help

Ellory Yu

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 2:02 pm

Dandads wrote:Thanks for the information
I have used the cables that came with the drives and also brought some from what I read on the forum ie thunderbolt 4 cables and also purchased a new ssd the sandisk extreme pro 1tb of which I read that some other users have and they all say that there’s work fine and also that they can film in full 6k at at least 5.1 ratio or higher but anytime I try the camera drops frames and stops recording. I also have a sandisk extreme pro sdxc uhs-ll card and that still won’t capture at more tha 4K 8.1 for more than a few seconds at a time please can you help

The thunderbolt 4 cable does not work with the Pocket or the URSA G2. I’ve tried it a few times already and none work, including the one from Apple. The one that came with the drive is also problematic. I would stick to Kondor or Angelbird cables.

On the sandisk sdxc, and even most media that’s not on the approved list or that I doubt it’s advertised speed,p, I check out its write speed. This is not scientific but my SOP is to divide the write speed by 2, or use BMD’s disk speed test, and use that as the max write speed for that media. Then based on the new write speed, I look up Robert’s spreadsheet for the codec and resolution that I can shoot on it that will not cause drop frames. I’ve been successful with this recipe.

Here’s where you can find Robert’s data calc spreadsheet. He did an awesome job putting this together.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118151&p=754354&hilit=Robert+spreadsheet#p650085
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Off-Topic