Any way to remove hair flyaways?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MovieMan

Any way to remove hair flyaways?

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 6:13 pm

My client doesn't like how her hair looks in the video clip. Is there any way to track it and remove them?
Attachments
Hair Flyaway.jpg
Hair Flyaway
Hair Flyaway.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Davinci Resolve 17.4.3 Studio Build 10
HP Spectre x360
Windows 11 Home 64-bit 22000.469
Intel i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
16 GB
NVIDIA GeForce MX150 - 30.0.15.1123 (1/10/2022)
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 - 30.0.101.1191 (12/3/2021)

Marc Wielage

Re: Any way to remove hair flyaways?

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 9:13 am

I'm always astonished at people who don't want to invest in good hair and makeup on the set, and then complain about wanting fixes in post. That lady has shiny cheeks, a shiny forehead, and neck wrinkles -- and all those we can fix (to a point), but flyaway hair... I'd tell them it wouldn't be effective to try to do it in final color, but I'd send it out to a couple of VFX people to get an estimate. Usually the number is high enough that they balk and let it go.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

MovieMan

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 pm

She talked about getting a hair and makeup person but ended up not getting one.
It's so easy to fix a still image in Photoshop but I didn't think it was easy in Davinci Resolve.
Thanks for your confirmation.
Davinci Resolve 17.4.3 Studio Build 10
HP Spectre x360
Windows 11 Home 64-bit 22000.469
Intel i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
16 GB
NVIDIA GeForce MX150 - 30.0.15.1123 (1/10/2022)
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 - 30.0.101.1191 (12/3/2021)

im.thatoneguy

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 12:01 am

Half-joke answer:

1) Make a clean plate
2) Use the AI Tools in Resolve 18 to automask her face.
3) Comp her back over the clean plate and let the looseness of the AI roto do its "magic" and cut off any fine detail hairs outside of her main hair. :D

Marc Wielage

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 6:35 am

im.thatoneguy wrote:1) Make a clean plate
3) Comp her back over the clean plate and let the looseness of the AI roto do its "magic" and cut off any fine detail hairs outside of her main hair. :D

I think if you were to try that, the problem is that you'd get moments where occasionally the hairs would appear and disappear, and I don't think "AI" tracking or anything like that could fix it. It'd be even worse if this is a 20-30-minute interview or something. If the segments were really short, maybe you could could chase the loose hairs and comp them out or at least blur them or something. But it'd be potentially thousands of dollars of VFX work (assuming 2-3 days to do).

im.thatoneguy

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 6:31 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
im.thatoneguy wrote:1) Make a clean plate

I think if you were to try that, the problem is that you'd get moments where occasionally the hairs would appear and disappear, and I don't think "AI" tracking or anything like that could fix it. It'd be even worse if this is a 20-30-minute interview or something. If the segments were really short, maybe you could could chase the loose hairs and comp them out or at least blur them or something. But it'd be potentially thousands of dollars of VFX work (assuming 2-3 days to do).

If you did a temporal blend and she didn't jerk her head around too much it should be a pretty soft artifact.

blugreen

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 11:07 am

Doesn't AI help nowadays to remove such things?

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Soon, see my sig.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 4:55 am

blugreen wrote:Doesn't AI help nowadays to remove such things?

Not in the real world. Not as such.

I predicted six months ago is that the worst problem of A.I. is going to be newcomers, clients, and people who have a "little" knowledge of post will expect that A.I. will magically be able to fix very real problems. And that isn't the case in 2024. Will it work in 2 years? 5 years? My guess is that it's doubtful.

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 7:14 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
blugreen wrote:Doesn't AI help nowadays to remove such things?

Not in the real world. Not as such.

I predicted six months ago is that the worst problem of A.I. is going to be newcomers, clients, and people who have a "little" knowledge of post will expect that A.I. will magically be able to fix very real problems. And that isn't the case in 2024. Will it work in 2 years? 5 years? My guess is that it's doubtful.
And my hope is that not happened for a long time, or people start to shoot worst and worst, like when some operator discover that you can do white balance in post and start to avoid to do in cam, and worst habitudes spread faster than better.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Colourberry

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 1:30 pm

Working with lots of girls who have curly hair, I've seen firsthand how flyaways and frizz can be a real headache, especially in humid conditions. These problems tend to pop up more when there's a lot of moisture in the air, making hair harder to manage.

I've found that using the right products can make a huge difference. Gels and mousses are great because they help hold your hair in place without making it crunchy. Applying a small amount to wet curls and then diffusing them works best for keeping everything smooth. Also, using oils and creams in moderation can help lock in moisture and keep the hair from frizzing out.

To manage your hair in humid conditions, it's crucial to choose products that are designed for strong hold but still leave your curls defined and free from crunchiness. Adjusting your styling routine to the weather can also help keep those flyaways under control.
Last edited by Colourberry on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 6:22 pm

A good hair spray is your friend p, solving the issue before the shoot. I used to Cary a basic makeup,and hair kit, including hair spray when I went out on shoots involving subjects with long hair. :D
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Post Production