Problems Connecting to CloudPod

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Lance Lewis

Problems Connecting to CloudPod

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:53 am

I have my cloudpod working on most of our computers....but I have one windows computer that is connecting. It's a windows 10 (64 bit) and it never asks me for admin and password but instead that it just can't connect and suggest the name is wrong. Can't seem to figure it out. Any thoughts? I know I didn't give much to go by. Our windows 11 computer and windows 10 computer and MAC have all connected no problem.
Last edited by Lance Lewis on Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Juergen Engelke

Re: Problems Connecting to CloudPod

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 4:14 pm

Seems to be the well known USB Cable Problem (same Problem with USB and USB cable on Cameras) !
So try different USB cables.
Triple boot Win10-Pro| Resolve Studio | Decklink 4K Extreme 12G | NVIDIA GTX1080 | INTEL ARC A770 | SSD-RAID | HDD-RAID | 20 logical cores | 2 x 10GbE | 64GB RAM | on 10GbE Media sharing NW | 10Gbps NAS | BMD Cloud Store 10Gbps

Mark Baird

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:48 pm

This is not a USB cable issue. the cloud pod only connects locally over USB. when connecting to workstations over the network it is all Cat 6.

I am having this same problem. Any help with the networking end would be appreciated. It seems the windows network discovery on these units are not at all robust. I have succeeded in mapping them using a static IP address, but windows still looses track of them afternot thirty minutes or so. very very frustrating! and I am having the issue with two windows 10 pro computers and a windows 11 pro machine.
Resolve 16 b x on HP Z 820 with 2x K5000 Quadros. Windows 10 build 17134. Two Intel Xeon E5-2680 CPUs at 2.7gig. 128 gig of ram.

Lance Lewis

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 1:12 am

Mark,

I have solved this problem today!!!!

In general, what you have to do is create a new Windows Credential. I will give specific steps below.

Like you I had some computers that would connect, and some that would just tell me that it couldn't connect and I should check the name. It never would ask me to enter user name and password. For whatever reason on two of my five computers (4 PCS and 1 Mac) the option just never came up.

The process is super simple.

1. Go to Control Panel>User Accounts>Credential Manager
2. Select "Windows Credentials"
3. Select "Add a Windows Credential"
4. For the Internet or network address type in The exact name of your cloud pod
5. The type in "guest" for user name and "guest" for password.

Worked for me (literally figured it out today).

It should be noted that if you are on a homegroup that the user name might need to be "workgroup/guest" as stated on page 7 of the manual.

Let me know if this works for you. I was bummed for weeks until I finally figured it out today.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
Neenah, WI

JimODB3000

Re: Problems Connecting to CloudPod - SOLVED

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 4:27 pm

I cannot get any of my windows machines 10 or 11 clients to connect to my Cloud Pod. I've tried the windows credential manager method specified above but that did not work for me. My windows clients are a remember of a domain and I'm wondering if that is part of my issue? I have one mac client that connects without issue.

The error on windows is that "the network path cannot be found"

Everything I've tried has been unsuccessful.

Lance Lewis

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:11 pm

when you go into windows credential manager did you see clouded already listed? If not, when you added it did you verify the following:
1. the spelling of the name is exactly the same
2. the user name is "guest"
3. the password is "guest"

and if that doesn't work, try doing workgroup/guest for the user name. I am assuming you have to substitute the name of the workgroup for the word workgroup above.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
Neenah, WI

JimODB3000

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 3:40 pm

Lance Lewis wrote:when you go into windows credential manager did you see clouded already listed? If not, when you added it did you verify the following:

and if that doesn't work, try doing workgroup/guest for the user name. I am assuming you have to substitute the name of the workgroup for the word workgroup above.

Yes, I've done those things as far as I can tell. We are on a Active Directory Domain so there isn't a workgroup or workgroup name that I can reference. When I do add the Cloudpod into the credentials manager, exactly the same spelling, and add useername guest password guest then I get an error that I cannot connect to the Cloudpod because the user account is disabled.

JimODB3000

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 3:42 pm

Also, I emailed support on Monday 8/15/22 and haven't received a response yet as of Thursday 8/18/22, I'm not sure if that is typical or not but I'm surprised with no response yet.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 6:40 pm

JimODB3000 wrote:
Lance Lewis wrote:when you go into windows credential manager did you see clouded already listed? If not, when you added it did you verify the following:

Yes, I've done those things as far as I can tell. We are on a Active Directory Domain so there isn't a workgroup or workgroup name that I can reference. When I do add the Cloudpod into the credentials manager, exactly the same spelling, and add useername guest password guest then I get an error that I cannot connect to the Cloudpod because the user account is disabled.

If you're on a domain joined machine, try using the username .\guest instead of just guest. It sounds like it's hitting the domain controller for the account and not the box.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

JimODB3000

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 5:56 pm

Thanks for that recommendation, I think you're right that it was likely hitting the DC and not the local machine, the domain guest account is indeed disabled. I gave that a try in the credential manager by adding the local hostname\guest and the error changed from account disabled to network path not found. I have attached a screenshot. Also, a full week later and still no response from Blackmagic Support.

Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
CloudPod-Error1.PNG
Connection Error
CloudPod-Error1.PNG (197.19 KiB) Viewed 12507 times

Jack Fairley

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 7:30 pm

The only other thing that comes to mind would be enabling the registry key that disables the use of guest accounts.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

danielschmidt

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 10:46 pm

I had a similar problem with a domain-joined computer not being able to connect to the Cloud Pod file share, with Event ID 31013 being logged in the Microsoft-Windows-SMBClient/Security event log.

In our case it was because of Group Policy enforcing the SMB Client security option "Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)".

A temporary workaround is to open PowerShell as Administrator and run:
Set-SmbClientConfiguration -RequireSecuritySignature $false

This will only last until the next Group Policy refresh though, so it may be necessary to exclude your PCs which connect to the Cloud Pod from enforcing this policy. Obviously this is not a best practice, and hopefully the issue is addressed in a future firmware update.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/troub ... onnections

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... ons-always

JimODB3000

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 7:30 pm

I opened a ticket with support and after weeks without response I finally got a reply back.

"In some of our testing, it appears that SMB 1.0 has to be installed on W10 for this to work for initial SMB volume discovery on the network.

We have further inquired about this from our developers. As soon as we hear back, we will follow up with you."

Using SMB 1.0 is insane in today's world, it's not even loaded by Windows anymore because it's so old and unsecure. It seems like they are probably correct though because I manually installed the SMB1.0 service to test and that seemed to allow me to connect to the CloudPod. I can't keep that loaded though, it's too unsecure and our IT department won't allow it.

I hope they can change that to SMB3.0 in a future software release.

Jack Fairley

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 7:54 pm

Come on BMD, there's no way SMB 1.0 flies anywhere that is doing vuln scans.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

JimODB3000

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 7:57 pm

I emailed them back for an update and they got back to me right away that they still have no update from their developers on this issue. It's SUPPORT #SXR-413-34124 if anyone want's to open their own ticket and reference it.

Gerdty

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 4:57 pm

Did y'all ever find a fix for this? I'm facing the same issue myself. Getting Error Code: 0x80070035 "The network path was not found"

In my case, the cloudpods work flawlessly on 2 macs that I have on my network, but the PC will randomly lose connection (yielding that error code) and the only way to restore it is to power cycle the cloudpod

JimODB3000

PostThu Sep 21, 2023 1:26 pm

Gerdty wrote:Did y'all ever find a fix for this? I'm facing the same issue myself. Getting Error Code: 0x80070035 "The network path was not found"

In my case, the cloudpods work flawlessly on 2 macs that I have on my network, but the PC will randomly lose connection (yielding that error code) and the only way to restore it is to power cycle the cloudpod

As far as I know there hasn't been any changes but I will check the status of my ticket again to see what they say and report back.

Gerdty

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 8:07 pm

As far as I know there hasn't been any changes but I will check the status of my ticket again to see what they say and report back.[/quote]

Any luck? Any time I have reached out to Blackmagic support they have pretty much blown me off and not tried to actually help.

JimODB3000

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 2:37 pm

Gerdty wrote:As far as I know there hasn't been any changes but I will check the status of my ticket again to see what they say and report back.

Any luck? Any time I have reached out to Blackmagic support they have pretty much blown me off and not tried to actually help.

I'm still waiting for their reply, hopefully I will get a response soon.

JimODB3000

PostWed Oct 04, 2023 1:12 pm

Gerdty wrote:As far as I know there hasn't been any changes but I will check the status of my ticket again to see what they say and report back.

OK, so I got a very discouraging reply from BMD support.

Hi,

Our developers do not comment directly on items that are submitted to them. All I can say is that it has been reported to them.

Regards,

Adam B

Support Representative

Blackmagic Design Inc.

Ticket Details
Priority: Normal

So it seems like they know about this issue and are doing absolutely nothing to remedy the situation other than waiting on "their developers".

Gerdty

PostTue Oct 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Looks like today blackmagic released a firmware update that claims to solve this issue. I'm working on installing it right now. Time will tell...

JimODB3000

PostTue Oct 17, 2023 5:00 pm

Gerdty wrote:Looks like today blackmagic released a firmware update that claims to solve this issue. I'm working on installing it right now. Time will tell...

I'll be curious to hear your findings. I just installed the update on my CloudPod and it did not fix the issue for me. I have domain joined Win11 systems that cannot connect to the CloudPod, I am still getting the 1208 Network error that the update says it resolved.

Return to Post Production