Visual indication that stabilization is applied to clip

• Author

PedjaS

Visual indication that stabilization is applied to clip

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 12:38 pm

I could not find a way how to distinguish if clip is stabilized or not, except playing it.

It would be helpful if clips on timeline have some indication if they use stabilization or not. That would have value if there is number of clips on timeline that needs stabilization, but also helpful if stabilization is automatically turned of by DR due to some operation on a clip.

That said I noticed some strange issues.

When I stabilize clip it may end up in three ways, after I click Stabilize and DR does its job:

1. Stabilize button becomes disabled. I cannot run stabilization until I change some stabilization parameters. That is expected.

2. Stabilize button becomes disabled, but after I go to other clip and then back to one I previously stabilized, Stabilize button is enabled and I can run it again. No changes were done that could affect that clip in any way.

3. Stabilize button does not become disabled at all. I can click it and repeat stabilization without changing anything.

Jim Simon

Re: Visual indication that stabilization is applied to clip

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Not loving this idea. Sort of a Slippery Slope argument, but if we get an indicator of one effect, where does it end? If you get the icon you want, others will want icons for their oft-used effects.

Maybe you might consider changing the Clip Color of already stabilized clips?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 3:07 pm

I would appreciate having a wider range of filtering options available in the Edit Index... Stablization would be a welcome addition.

Predrag, in the meantime, in the Color Page you can filter the Clips display to show 'Tracked' clips... this will include stabilised clips. You can apply a clip color, marker and/or flag to those tracked clips and those colors/flags/markers will be visible in the Edit Page (and Edit Index).

PedjaS

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 1:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Not loving this idea. Sort of a Slippery Slope argument, but if we get an indicator of one effect, where does it end? If you get the icon you want, others will want icons for their oft-used effects.

Maybe you might consider changing the Clip Color of already stabilized clips?

This is not about indicator if effect is applied, but if it is applied but then for some reason automatically disabled or not working as expected due to other changes as a warning.

Peter Cave

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 12:42 am

The Colour Page has Clip filtering and tracking/stabilise is one of the options. Might be useful for you.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests