Applying Lut to Bi directional SDI-HDMI 12G

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

lashvyve

Applying Lut to Bi directional SDI-HDMI 12G

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 5:27 pm

First total noob here so probably doing something stupid....

My setup is a ZCam E2M4 -> BiDirectional 12G Converter -> ATEM Mini Pro.

The intent was to apply a LUT to the raw output of the ZCAM to do color grading for live output since the camera doesn't support LUT's internally. I also have a BM Micro 4K studio that I wanted to do the same thing so I could color match the cameras for live production/output.

To that end I shot some footage raw, pulled into Davinci, generated a LUT and uploaded to converter. However whenever I apply that LUT to the output the image goes very green. It does this even if I pull in footage and don't do a thing other than generating LUT. So no color correcting done at all in Davinci. I can post some samples of what I'm talking about if needed but any advice on what I'm doing wrong here?

No-LUT.png
No-LUT.png (511.92 KiB) Viewed 2586 times

Lut-Applied.png
Lut-Applied.png (552.2 KiB) Viewed 2586 times

robbiejones

Re: Applying Lut to Bi directional SDI-HDMI 12G

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 3:38 am

I'm facing the same issue.

When inputting 1080p via HDMI from my Sony A1 and Sony A7SIII to the BiDirectional 12G Converter with the LUT applied to the output, I experience a harsh green effect.

When inputting 4K via HDMI from the same cameras, I am able to correctly apply the LUT, however, when the source from the BiDirectional 12G is output to a device that only accepts 1080p, it then creates a thin blue line on the right hand side of the image, regardless if the LUT is applied or not. The blue line does not appear when the input is 1080p, but then we have the green problem.

I’ve played around with this a bit with two different cameras, two monitors, and two BiDirectional 12G Micro Converters, along with a variety of LUTS (that all work when applied to 4K footage) and I've had the same issues with both converters in every scenario. Both are using Software Version 7.6.1, Build e3b880a4 and both have been reset to factory settings.

I expect this is a software issue, but hope to hear from anyone else who has been able to get around this, or might have suggestions for an alternative HDMI LUT box. That was my plan until this experience..

ChrisPearse

PostFri May 20, 2022 3:35 am

Is Blackmagic going to solve this issue? I find it hard to believe such a fundamental issue has not been resolved since day 1

Hollkj

PostSun May 22, 2022 1:01 pm

I've been using the SDI-HDMI 12G for applying LUTS from the camera for live purposes. The LUTS were produced using Davinchi. I've used the following with no issues (running the latest firmware):

Camera 4k HDMI out -> converter HDMI IN -> CONVERTER SDI OUT -> CONVERTER SDI IN -> CONVERTER HDMI -> ATEM MINI extreme (both standard and ISO versions)

Camera 1080p HDMI out -> converter HDMI IN -> CONVERTER SDI OUT -> CONVERTER SDI IN -> CONVERTER HDMI -> ATEM MINI extreme (both standard and ISO versions)

Camera 1080p HDMI out -> converter HDMI IN -> CONVERTER SDI OUT -> ATEM Constellation 2 M/E HD

What didn't work, in that I didn't get any video i.e. black screen:

Camera 4k HDMI out -> converter HDMI IN -> CONVERTER SDI OUT -> ATEM Constellation 2 M/E HD

ChrisPearse

PostTue May 31, 2022 11:57 am

Strange, though this is an issue with the bi-directional, and it has been confirmed to me by support that this is a known issue, and it only exists on the SDI to HDMI side. HDMI to SDI is fine.

I find it hard to believe that a product released, what, 9 months ago has such a fundamental issue hasn’t been fixed.

Tommaso Alvisi

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 1:43 pm

ChrisPearse wrote:Strange, though this is an issue with the bi-directional, and it has been confirmed to me by support that this is a known issue, and it only exists on the SDI to HDMI side. HDMI to SDI is fine.

I find it hard to believe that a product released, what, 9 months ago has such a fundamental issue hasn’t been fixed.

Hey Chris! Do you have an update on this issue?
On the liftgammagain forum a couple of users were offered a replacement and apparently the replacement works fine so maybe it's not just a software issue???
Which serial number do your converters have guys? (first 4 or 5 numbers would suffice, just to see if there is maybe a newer hardware revision in place...)

jbarnett

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 9:53 pm

I'm having the same issue on when applying any lut on my 12G bi directional. I only experience the green cast when going HDMI to HDMI, when going HDMI to SDI the lut seems to work as expected. I'm on firmware 7.6.1 with a BMPCC connected on the HDMI in and a capture card on the HDMI out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Grant McNair

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 5:11 am

I am also getting a super green image from the Blackmagic Design Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 12G, but only with HDMI input and HDMI output, and only when LUT is active.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 7:01 am

that looks like YUV / RGB mixup

FinnJaeger

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 10:29 am

I have the same issue.

1080P 4:2:2 HDMI in HDMI out = Green image
1080p 4:4:4 HDMI in HDMI out = fine
UHD 4:2:2 HDMI in HDMI out = fine

I have another converter (we have 4 total) though that is just turning the whole image into a slight red hue, very weird will contact support.

Thomas Maier

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 2:25 pm

Same here after updating to 7.6.2. (inclusive firmware update)

No matter HD or UHD, 444 or 422, Video or FULL every output is green (UHD FULL with magenta in die highlights)

SDI in > HDMI out

Back to 7.6.1 (incl. older firmware) seems to work fine.

Return to Live Production