Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

arconz

  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:36 am
  • Location: Auckland, New Zealand
  • Real Name: Paul Gunson

Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 pm

Resolve Studio 17.4 - Increasing a voice track speed to just 105% results in a horribly metallic sounding voice (pitch maintained). I haven't had this happen in any app before... I've searched & found one post detailing the problem from 2019 - the only recommendation was to add a Distortion FX with Level set to zero. Tried it & every playback sounds random, most like a robot that has tried to eat a screwdriver lol.

Surely there is an actual solution for this & any help much apprec.
Resolve Studio 18.0.3, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB DDR4-3600, 2x2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD, RTX 3060 12GB
Offline

Reynaud Venter

  • Posts: 3516
  • Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:09 am

May be worth testing with version 18 as it includes an improvement to the quality of time stretched audio on the Fairlight page.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.1.1 • macOS 12.6.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Console (DAE-3 Bay) • Fairlight Audio Accelerator • Intensity Pro 4K ⊕ Desktop Video 12.4 ⟧
Offline
User avatar

okiewardoyo

  • Posts: 443
  • Joined: Mon May 02, 2022 4:01 am
  • Location: Indonesia
  • Real Name: Okie Eko Wardoyo

Re: Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 11:54 am

arconz wrote:Resolve Studio 17.4 - Increasing a voice track speed to just 105% results in a horribly metallic sounding voice (pitch maintained). I haven't had this happen in any app before... I've searched & found one post detailing the problem from 2019 - the only recommendation was to add a Distortion FX with Level set to zero. Tried it & every playback sounds random, most like a robot that has tried to eat a screwdriver lol.

Surely there is an actual solution for this & any help much apprec.

I never found the problem using 18. Try it. 200% of speed no problem with the sound.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
Home : Resolve 18.1.1 (Ryzen 7 4000 series, Nvidia GTX 1650, 16GbRAM)
Office : Resolve 18.1.1 (i7 Gen 10, Nvidia RTX 3060, 16Gb RAM)
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 22854
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 2:34 pm

I've never gotten what I would consider "good" results when trying to maintain pitch.

Allowing the pitch to shift, as is natural for audio when you change speed, has always produced much better results for me.
Offline
User avatar

arconz

  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:36 am
  • Location: Auckland, New Zealand
  • Real Name: Paul Gunson

Re: Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 10:10 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I've never gotten what I would consider "good" results when trying to maintain pitch.

Allowing the pitch to shift, as is natural for audio when you change speed, has always produced much better results for me.


This is not acceptable for editing software though... TVC directors worth their salt are not going to take an an editor seriously who can't re-time voice talent or musical scores without changing pitch.

Thanks for all responses & I will download 18.x once I'm finished the current project (I'm assuming it over-writes 17?). For now I downloaded Audacity which handled it.
Resolve Studio 18.0.3, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB DDR4-3600, 2x2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD, RTX 3060 12GB
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 22854
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 3:12 pm

(18 will overwrite 17.)
Offline

khall187

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 pm
  • Real Name: Kris Hall

Re: Resolve audio speed change - awful quality

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 4:12 pm

arconz wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:I've never gotten what I would consider "good" results when trying to maintain pitch.

Allowing the pitch to shift, as is natural for audio when you change speed, has always produced much better results for me.


This is not acceptable for editing software though... TVC directors worth their salt are not going to take an an editor seriously who can't re-time voice talent or musical scores without changing pitch.

Thanks for all responses & I will download 18.x once I'm finished the current project (I'm assuming it over-writes 17?). For now I downloaded Audacity which handled it.


What's the verdict? Did upgrading to 18 help?

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Charles Bennett, Google [Bot], Pavle Milicevic, SergeS and 94 guests