Mini Convertor Updowncross HD

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mugurel

Mini Convertor Updowncross HD

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 2:41 pm

I got the mini convertor updowncross hd and i am trying to use a GoPro with it. I stretched a hdmi cable across the church but is not long enough to reach the GoPro so i am using a adaptor female to female but i can't make it work. If i connect the cable directly to the GoPro is working fine but if i am using the extended cable is not working. Is there a thing about the extended cables with the convertor or something and yes the GoPro is setup correctly. What can i do?

Eric-Jan

Re: Mini Convertor Updowncross HD

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 7:13 pm

Cables are maybe too long, or defective ? better to use converters with SDI coax in between ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 pm

HDMI cables do not do well over long distances, this is a well known limitation and is not specific to the converter. While you may find some HDMI devices a bit more tolerant of longer cables than others, all HDMI devices will eventually run into problems as cable length increases (this is especially true when using cable extenders).

Since the Mini Converter UpDownCross HD has SDI outputs, you could use a short HDMI cable from the camera into the converter and then use SDI for the long cable run (SDI does much better over longer distances as Eric-Jan suggests).

If you want to go the entire distance with a single cable, your best bet is probably to use an HDMI fiber optic cable. Since these cables convert from electrical to fiber optic signals internally they can go much longer distances with less signal attenuation. Most HDMI fiber cables are made with full size HDMI connectors at either end, so you would likely need a micro HDMI to full size HDMI adapter to connect such a cable to the GoPro.

See this thread for more discussion of different types of HDMI cables:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=150527

Eric-Jan

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 6:20 pm

Your video switcher has already SDI ? you just place your existing scaler next to the camera, and run the SDI coax to the (SDI) switcher, like said before. (If the video switcher has HDMI you need also a converter there)
But using compact BlackMagicDesign Micro converter(s), needs no setup, is much cheaper, and can make use of a USB power source nearby.
(The Mini Converter needs 6 - 35 volt)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Post Production