How to select the audio channel I want to hear in source ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

THOSTE

How to select the audio channel I want to hear in source ?

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 8:43 pm

I'm editing for broadcast more than 30 yrs. Last 20 yrs on AVID. I'm hoping resolve will finally prove to be good replacement for troublesome avid. So I'm new to resolve, and I find new amazing features every day.
But one crucial thing I'm still looking for :
I have source clips with a lot of audio tracks. Mono tracks with audio from boom, different lavaliers...
Sometimes I only need to hear one certain lavalier when I'm going through the rush, for the next shot or scene I need to hear another track.
I can't find resolve's way to solo out some of the audio BEFORE I make the cut. I only get a messy mix of all the channels..

Probably an easy question. Please help me out

Tom
macOS Monterey on M1 Max 64GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.2 - Speed editor

Reynaud Venter

Re: How to select the audio channel I want to hear in source

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 6:11 am

Clip Attributes > Audio allows the channel configuration to be configured as required and audition any embedded source channel.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

THOSTE

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 6:44 am

Thanks for the answer, but is there no easier/faster way ? I'd have to be changing the clip attributes numerous times during an edit. For the first shot I need from a certain clip I may need audio track 1 and 3, but for the next 1 and 7... on top of that : while changing the attributes I can't listen to the tracks and evaluate which one I need to hear.
The logical way would be that the mixer would represent the audiotracks of the source clip while I'm playing a source clip. Then I have al the volumes/mute and solo at my fingertips. I do see the audiometers when I play a source clip, but muting, soloing or changing volume seems to have no effect.
macOS Monterey on M1 Max 64GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.2 - Speed editor

loyed256

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 1:51 pm

I'd like to ask this same question ...

If you have a source clip and you want to briefly solo a channel to check it while the clip is in the left source monitor, is there no option to do that? That is something that you need to do a lot.

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 10:01 pm

There is no easier way.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Cave

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 11:40 pm

Source audio monitoring and patching has always been a showstopper for Resolve editing. BMD really need to focus on improving the BASIC toolset to allow it to be as useful as Avid, Premiere or FCP for editing. It's just too inefficient the way it currently works.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 1:52 am

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

IsraEliteMedia

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 am

It is very clunky when selecting audio tracks. Yes there is the way to do it on the media page for all clips in clip attributes. But mostly you need to right click on a clip on the timeline, select clip attributes, then select the audio channel from the dropdown menu.
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

SeldomSeenKid

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:37 pm

I had similar issues especially when dealing with multi-track audio.
Meanwhile this channel matrix VST is my swiss army knife:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MChannelMatrix
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

tlegvold

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 6:44 am

You can do this in the Media Pool by remapping source clips.

I'd suggest looking at "DaVinci Resolve 16 Fairlight for Audio Post" pages 143-147.

Essentially you can set up clips to have any channel configuration you want (including multiple configurations in one and the same clip) so that when you drag it onto a timeline, you'll end up with multiple tracks of the same clip in whatever format you specify.

In your case you could set them as several mono or stereo tracks, lav 1, lav 2, boom, camera, etc. and the clips will show up as multiple separate tracks on the timeline. From there you can use solo to see which one you want to use and remove/disable the others. It's pretty quick to change solo's/mutes on the Fairlight Audio Editor, slightly more work with mouse and keyboard, but doable.

Hope this helps.

Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Andy Mees

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 10:21 am

tlegvold wrote:You can do this in the Media Pool by remapping source clips.
I don't know exactly who's post you are replying to here, Thor, it's got to be either Tom's post (from 2021)
On Sun Dec 12, 2021, THOSTE wrote:Sometimes I only need to hear one certain lavalier when I'm going through the rush, for the next shot or scene I need to hear another track.
I can't find resolve's way to solo out some of the audio BEFORE I make the cut.
or Steve's post that resurrected this thread a few days ago
On Wed Sep 28, 2022, loyed256 wrote:If you have a source clip and you want to briefly solo a channel to check it while the clip is in the left source monitor, is there no option to do that?

In both cases, the users are explicitly asking how they can solo channels in the Source Viewer whilst reviewing rushes ie before editing into the timeline. Your post starts by saying this is possible by remapping source clips, but then (unless I'm mistaken) appears to describe using timeline solo and mutes to isolate specific channels ie after editing those clips into the timeline. Am I reading that right? Or are you saying you have actually found a way to solo and mute audio channels of source clips in the Source Viewer using Timeline solo and mute functions? If so, please please explain further.

tlegvold

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 2:50 am

Hi Andy,

I was replying to both, but didn't see the requirement to review in the source viewer/media pool before adding to the timeline.

I have no solution for that scenario, as I am not usually the person dealing with rushes.

Sorry.

Definitely something to add as a feature request (be specific as to how you would like it to work - BMD tend to be pretty responsive when it comes to development and features that relate specifically to post-production efficacy).

Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

VT_editor

PostThu Oct 05, 2023 10:10 am

+++
I wrote to the Blackmagik about this problem back in 2016. I didn’t think that in 2023 everything would remain at the same level. That's why I still can't do editing in DaVinci - I also need to quickly solo individual tracks without resorting to additional pop-ups.

Return to DaVinci Resolve