relink proxy media links wrong clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ruben_s

relink proxy media links wrong clips

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 12:40 pm

Hello, using 18.1 build 18.
Whan I select several clips and do a Relink Porxy Media, then select the proxies folder.. it relinks many clips to the wrong proxy files. If I do it one by one, it works OK, Any help?

Steve Alexander

Re: relink proxy media links wrong clips

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 12:55 pm

I think I've heard someone else report this in a past release of 18...

Can you post details of the file names that were linked incorrectly - would be interesting to see if there is a pattern. Sounds like a pretty bad bug.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

ruben_s

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 9:15 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I think I've heard someone else report this in a past release of 18...

Can you post details of the file names that were linked incorrectly - would be interesting to see if there is a pattern. Sounds like a pretty bad bug.

Sure. I uploaded some screen captures, one with the proxies and the other with the originals, and one more as shown by the windows explorer.

Thank you very much
Attachments
Proxies  windows explorer Captura.JPG
Proxies view from windows explorer. They are DNxHR LB
Proxies windows explorer Captura.JPG (160.26 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
Proxies Captura.JPG
thumbnails with proxies linked
Proxies Captura.JPG (231.73 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
Originals Captura.JPG
thubnails for the origuinals
Originals Captura.JPG (246.64 KiB) Viewed 4755 times

Steve Alexander

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 9:41 pm

You mentioned that these were relinked to the 'proxies' folder - is that the folder located beside the source media or is that your own proxies folder located somewhere else?

I guess I should have asked first, were these proxies generated via the external proxy generator app? My guess is no because I don't believe that app can generate DNxHR proxy media - so these must have been generated internally, correct?

In that case, what is the path to your proxy folder for these proxies? I understand that you can setup the internal proxy generator to generate proxies located in a proxy subfolder to the source files or to some other path (I haven't tried setting up the internal proxy generator to place proxies in a proxy subfolder next to the source files).

Sorry I'm rambling but I'm sort of thinking this through as I type... lol
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

ruben_s

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 3:18 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:You mentioned that these were relinked to the 'proxies' folder - is that the folder located beside the source media or is that your own proxies folder located somewhere else?

I guess I should have asked first, were these proxies generated via the external proxy generator app? My guess is no because I don't believe that app can generate DNxHR proxy media - so these must have been generated internally, correct?

In that case, what is the path to your proxy folder for these proxies? I understand that you can setup the internal proxy generator to generate proxies located in a proxy subfolder to the source files or to some other path (I haven't tried setting up the internal proxy generator to place proxies in a proxy subfolder next to the source files).

Sorry I'm rambling but I'm sort of thinking this through as I type... lol

Hi..
1) proxies has their own folder, just for proxies, and the originales are stored in another disk.
2) These were generated by Resolve 18.1 build 18. the free version, as specified into project settings, proxy media resolution=choose automatocally, proxy media format=DNxHR LB
3) Proxy folder is D:\DVR\ProxyMedia\ARCHIVOS\FOOTAGE\100MEDIA
Originals are in C:\ARCHIVOS\FOOTAGE\100MEDIA
Attachments
DJI_0187.jpg
madiainfo output for one of the proxy files
DJI_0187.jpg (578.29 KiB) Viewed 4707 times

Steve Alexander

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 3:52 pm

Great info, Ruben. I just gave this a try with my PC (see signature) running 18.1 (Studio, not that it matters, presumably). I used the same settings as you for proxy generation and performed this task with a series of seven source files. It seemed to work fine for me. Maybe the number of files is the issue?

I did the following:

1. Select all 7 files (in the media pool), right-click and select 'Generate Proxy Media...'

2. Check that each has the 'proxy' badge on the thumbnail. Also checked the proxy file path for each clip using the extra columns in the media page (the proxy path is not shown by default, you need to right-click the column header and select 'Proxy Media Path').

3. Select all 7 files, right-click and select 'Unlink Proxy Media'.

4. Check that the 'proxy' badge no longer appears on the clip thumbnails and that the 'Proxy Media Path' is now empty.

5. Select all 7 files, right-click and select 'Relink Proxy Media...'. A folder selection dialog appears. I selected the folder on my system equivalent to your D:\DVR\ProxyMedia folder (I presume that Resolve knows to look deeper into a folder structure that mimics the source file path, not sure exactly).

6. Checked that all 'proxy' badges and proxy media path were correctly restored.

I'm not sure what is happening in your case, Ruben. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Time Traveller

ruben_s

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 10:01 am

Steve, the procedureyou described is correct. The same thing I did. I actually recreated the problem from scratch , and it happens again.

I'll send to you a link via PM for you to download the original footage.
Thanks for your time. Regards
Ruben

Steve Alexander

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Hi Ruben - I sent you a couple of PM replies. I was able to reproduce this with your media. One thing I noticed is that all of your clips have the same starting timecode (00:00:00.00). I wonder if that is confusing Resolve. Tests with my own media worked but they each have time-of-day starting timecode and are unique.

Still seems like a bug in Resolve... Can you change the way your camera records to have it use a time-of-day timecode?

Assuming this is the reason, Resolve's algorithm for relinking proxy media is poor.
Time Traveller

Uli Plank

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 pm

A starting TC of all zeroes can also mean that clips have no TC at all.
That will cause problems for sure.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Steve Alexander

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 2:55 pm

Uli Plank wrote:A starting TC of all zeroes can also mean that clips have no TC at all.
That will cause problems for sure.

I agree, however, if you relink proxies to each clip on its own (just pointing to the proxymedia folder location, not the specific file) then Resolve is able to relink to the correct file.

This indicates to me a defect (bug) in the multi-select relinking algorithm.
Time Traveller

ruben_s

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 2:40 pm

Thank you Ul and Steve.
I understand the timecode issue. However when you select all clips and generate proxy media it works fine. Also as Steve said, if you relink one by one it works as well. The issue happens when relinking the whole folder. Idk, may be the development team can review the relinking algorithm.
Thanks again

loveitvisuals

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 12:00 pm

I had this issue the other day, Relinking all m proxies the files from my Drone would not work correctly.

If I went into the Drone sub folder and relink that folder on its on it worked fine but if I tried to relink multile folders in one go the drone folder always relinked it wrong.

It actually relinked the same drone shot across to all the drone shots. So I had a folder of the same drone shot x7 but all had their own unique file naming convention

letsgorufus

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 3:31 pm

I am having the same problem with DaVinci 18.1.3.

I recently had to change the location of the proxies and had to re-link them.
I noticed that the same clip was shown twice and realised that it was linked to the wrong proxy.

Problem is that I do not have 7 clips to relink but hundreds. Going one by one would be crazy.
I am worried that now many of the clips are showing the wrong proxies - quite a serious bug.

I read that someone tried to unlink and relink but the issue persisted.
To recap: I generated my proxies through Davinci with "Generate proxy media..." - all was good (I hope...) until I had to change the location of the proxies and then used "relink proxy media..." - It appears that some files are showing the wrong proxies.

Any idea about what to do?

Thanks.

Gr8dane

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 9:55 pm

I'm having this exact same issue. It doesn't matter if I generate proxies using DR or the Proxy Generator. If I unlink and relink the proxies, incorrect proxies will get matched to my clips.

One thing to note: I have clips from 3 different cameras in 3 different folders. Two of the cameras' clips seem to work just fine. It's only the 3rd camera's files that are having the issue.

Also, when I relink in DR, it shows the correct files linked for a split second, and then replaces the list with the incorrect files.

Finally, I'm having an issue where synced audio doesn't line up when I use proxies, but that's a different issue. (The original camera audio is fine, but my auto synced audio is off whenever I generate a proxy).

The issue with the incorrect proxies is preventing me from doing a cloud collaboration on my current project, since my editor won't be able to link the proxies correctly.

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 8:02 am

If the problem shows with one camera only, can it be that camera is not writing proper timecode?
Check if the original clips all start with zero.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 8:18 pm

Yes, it appears that, by default, batch relinking matches only on timecode, ignoring filenames.

I don't know why this is the way it works. Perhaps a "fix" from when file extensions changed from originals to proxies thus preventing relinking. Perhaps again, ignoring the whole filespec rather than just the extension was adopted as the fix. That might not be noticed if the media had timecode.

Hopefully this will be revisited and addressed, as it's a frequent cause of problems.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 12:26 am

Well then, give those clips TC from the start with one of the third-party tools, like EditReady.
Sorry, but clips without TC are really amateur stuff. A Pro would always add TC or even transcode those.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 2:22 am

If I were king all media would come with timecode.

I’m not king.

People other than professionals use Resolve. That’s by BMD’s choice. It’s their intention to be in the non-professional market. So why be hostile - either in the program or in the forum - to non-professionals and their very reasonable expectations?

Resolve SHOULD be using the filename to assist with the relink. It’s unreasonable to do otherwise unless the user specifically asks for the filename to be ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Steve Alexander

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 2:31 am

Agreed, Joe. Just like you can manually re-conform based solely on file name (ignoring time code).
Time Traveller

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 5:10 am

I didn’t intend to come across hostile, I gave the solutions.
And then, DR is already doing pretty well, reading even the non-standard TC from mp4, if there’s any.
How can the NLE identify clips by name only, if many cameras generate the same names after you change batteries or cards? OTOH, in some cameras you only need to activate TC and proper naming.
A bit of preparation is not asking too much. One day we may have AI that will check the images, but then it may do the editing and grading too ;-)

Kyrad777

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 6:58 am

Dumb question, but are there duplicate DJI filenames in media folders?

like DJI_001 in multiple folders?

I don't think this is the issue, but I didn't see this mentioned in the discussion.

Just brining it up just in case someone else reading this thread might be experiencing this.

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 am

Uli Plank wrote:I didn’t intend to come across hostile, I gave the solutions.

How can the NLE identify clips by name only, if many cameras generate the same names after you change batteries or cards?

Yes it’s possible to have duplicate filenames. It’s also possible to have overlapping timecode. Less likely but possible. But we don’t discard timecode because it’s not bombproof.

Plus- matching on filename AND things like clip length make it pretty bombproof. Other NLEs do it and don’t run into these frequent problems.

Resolve 18.6.6

alexxxoz

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 6:13 am

Just had this today when I relinked 15 DJI clips. Proxies are sitting in a temporary work folder I point all my Davinci proxies to. All the DJI clips are sitting in a single folder. Did all the edits and then went to colour correct which is where I turned off proxies to get maximum res, and boom...all the clips changed.

I activated the extra proxy-path column in the media library and there I saw it...

Clip_0001 Proxy was incorrectly linked to a bunch of clips. They don't even match the length of that proxy so no idea how there is no fail safe that stops a length-mismatched proxy from linking to wrong source media, let alone the difference in name.

Now I have the fun job of re-editing the entire thing :( :(

DR_Proxy_Error.jpg
Proxy Link Error
DR_Proxy_Error.jpg (128.29 KiB) Viewed 3731 times

the_jamaican

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 2:44 am

Running into the same issue with clips from my DJI Air2S. Really making my workflow between PC and iPad a challenge. Will keep an eye on this thread for any future solutions

steve_martin_usa

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 6:11 pm

Wow, you're brave to be jumping back and forth between iPad and desktop. That was my goal but the iPad version of Resolve isn't looking very good from my perspective, with no Edit tab, etc.

What's your experience? Shouldn't you just get a Macbook instead of iPad?
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.2

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Dell XPS 8950, 32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
12th Gen Intel Core i9 - 12900K

El_Duderino

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 5:10 am

Hello,

I am on 18.1.4. build 9 and it seems that this issue still exists.
Has this been raised to BM for attention? Or does somebody has found a solution?
I work with clips from consumer drones, smart phones and small actions cams which usually do not provide a time code.

kind regards
Alexander
DRS v18.6.5 Build 7

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 10:57 pm

They know about it. Hopefully they’ll fix it soon. They don’t tell us of their plans - even bug fixing plans - so all we can do is +1 and hope!

Resolve 18.6.6

tacchan23

PostThu May 04, 2023 3:46 pm

Has this been fixed on 18.5?
I just noticed this bug when starting to use proxies from DJI today...

Joe Shapiro

PostThu May 04, 2023 4:14 pm

I haven’t tried it but there was a release note that claimed it was fixed.

Resolve 18.6.6

tacchan23

PostThu May 04, 2023 6:19 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:I haven’t tried it but there was a release note that claimed it was fixed.

Ah, yes I saw that now.
I will wait for stable release and link manually in the meantime :)
Thanks a lot!

Joe Shapiro

PostThu May 04, 2023 9:29 pm

If it's listed as fixed but you find it isn't then it's definitely a good idea to report such! And hopefully keep trying it each time they release a new build.
Resolve 18.6.6

frayoshi

PostThu May 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Just want to answer to this.

Uli Plank wrote:How can the NLE identify clips by name only, if many cameras generate the same names after you change batteries or cards? OTOH, in some cameras you only need to activate TC and proper naming.

I personally rename manually (automated, actually) the clips when I import them on the computers. A relink is the easiest of the things, a simple bash script can do that. But Resolve is unable to.. If you are in need of help, any programmer can solve this problem, even for free (pun intended.), just ask.

a very rough sample for the sake of explanation:

for video in <selection>; do ln -sf </new/path/>${video%.*}.<ext> $video; done

In my case,
Resolve fails to relink

SMT-penna-c1-01.mov to SMT-penna-c1-01.mxf

and

SMT-penna-c1-02.mov to SMT-penna-c1-02.mxf

Both get instead re-linked to SMT-penna-c1-00.mxf.

2023-05-18_18-12-27.png
proxy relinking bug example
2023-05-18_18-12-27.png (12.84 KiB) Viewed 2694 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve