Possible Resolve 16 DB corruption?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DodsonPoston

Possible Resolve 16 DB corruption?

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 3:08 pm

Summary:

1. I have lost one project from the Project Manager after moving it one level down in a new folder structure.

2. I have generated new copies of existing projects, and successfully edited them, but cannot now move them into the correct locations in the new folder structure.

--------------------------------------------------

Software and System Details:

Resolve 16.2.8.005

Windows:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎18/‎04/‎2021
OS build 19044.2251
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

I am using a disk database i.e. with the .db sqlite files. The disk database is on the C: drive with about 30 GB free space, the Resolve installation and my video sources are on an SSD E: drive with about 850 GB free space.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Problem:

After creating new folders using the Project Manager, and moving existing projects into them, I have run into several problems. Here are the details:

1. My folder structure was originally similar to this:

Home > A > B

There were 17 projects in Folder B. I created new folders so that it looks like this:

Home > A > B > C1
Home > A > B > C2

I moved 16 projects into C1 and 1 into C2.

2. I had to make edits and perform relinking on each project due to related Windows folder changes, and I started with the projects in C1.

This proceeded fine, until I started to find projects which would not save, giving me a "DaVinci Resolve failed to save project" message. I managed to overcome these non-saving problems by exporting the project, and restarting Resolve by opening the saved .drp file. This, however, had the side-effect of creating a new project of the same name under the Home folder.

I repeated this exporting/reopening process for the five troublesome projects, giving me five duplicate projects in Home (that I really wanted in folder C1).

After completing the required edits, I used the Project Manager to delete the five unmodified projects in C1, and then tried to Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V the duplicate projects from Home into C1. This failed with a "DaVinci Resolve failed to import project" message (if I recall correctly - it may have initially been a "please delete project with the same name" or something like that).

3. After having edited the projects, I noticed that one project had disappeared from folder C1, leaving 15 in it. The contents of C2 seemed fine, however.

4. I have taken a look at the various Windows folders and .db files in the "Resolve Disk Database" folder, and I see that I have managed to generated (Copy) folders for some of the projects that I tried to move using the Project Manager. In addition, I note that the .db files associated with the projects that failed to save are 0 bytes long (that's probably bad...)

I also note that the one project that has disappeared completely from the Project Manager still has an extant Windows folder in the "Resolve Disk Database" tree, with a non-empty .db file (which I have been able to open with DB Browser (that looks promising...)

------------------------------------------

So my questions:

1. Does this look like a DB corruption issue of some kind? (If so, that's a problem as I have no backup)

2. If so, is there any way to fix such a problem using the tools that I am likely to have to hand (I can poke around in the DB files using DB Browser if necessary).

3. If not, given that I am currently running a Resolve 16 version, is it sensible/possible to upgrade to Resolve 18 (maybe with a Postgres DB?) , and to export everything from the current Resolve 16 DB setup into a fresh Resolve 18 DB setup?

4. Any other ideas/suggestions/fixes?

Dermot Shane

Re: Possible Resolve 16 DB corruption?

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 9:10 pm

if u have DRP's make a clean shinny new DB,
import and move on
good idea to make new DB's every now and then anyway
i usualy make one every 60 days, or new version, what ever comes first

Marc Wielage

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 12:55 pm

Important safety tip: don't ever move Project Database files outside of Resolve. Resolve itself has to do this within the Project Manager.

You can always make manual backups of the project(s) you're working on by exporting a DRP, and then re-importing it to a new database (or an old one) if you need to.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

DodsonPoston

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 6:47 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Important safety tip: don't ever move Project Database files outside of Resolve. Resolve itself has to do this within the Project Manager.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "move Project Database files outside of Resolve", then I haven't done so. All of my woes occurred while working with the DR Project Manager.

Maybe I'm confused by what you mean though.

You can always make manual backups of the project(s) you're working on by exporting a DRP, and then re-importing it to a new database (or an old one) if you need to.

Yes, I can probably do this for the projects that are still visible in the Project Manager, but ideally I'd like to recover the one which is invisible in the PM, but with folders still visible in the database folder tree.

Any ideas if that is possible?

John Paines

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 7:09 pm

DodsonPoston wrote:but ideally I'd like to recover the one which is invisible in the PM, but with folders still visible in the database folder tree.

Assuming that project folder doesn't contain a project.db file with 0 bytes, create a new disk-based database and manually copy the folder (using the OS) into the "Projects" folder of the new database (which should have no other projects in it, at this point). The idea is to see what happens when there's no potential or actual conflict with other projects of the same name (in light of your explanation above).

It may read, it may not. If not, upload it to file sharing site and request that a staff member here take a look at it.

DodsonPoston

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 9:01 am

John Paines wrote:
DodsonPoston wrote:but ideally I'd like to recover the one which is invisible in the PM, but with folders still visible in the database folder tree.

Assuming that project folder doesn't contain a project.db file with 0 bytes, create a new disk-based database and manually copy the folder (using the OS) into the "Projects" folder of the new database (which should have no other projects in it, at this point). The idea is to see what happens when there's no potential or actual conflict with other projects of the same name (in light of your explanation above).

That's certainly worth a try. I must admit that I had no idea that it was possible to create a new DB though. Looks like it's time to RTFM.

It may read, it may not. If not, upload it to file sharing site and request that a staff member here take a look at it.

I'm using a free version of Resolve, so I have no paid-for support. I think I'll have to fix (or not) this one on my own.

DodsonPoston

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 12:53 pm

John Paines wrote:Assuming that project folder doesn't contain a project.db file with 0 bytes, create a new disk-based database and manually copy the folder (using the OS) into the "Projects" folder of the new database (which should have no other projects in it, at this point). The idea is to see what happens when there's no potential or actual conflict with other projects of the same name (in light of your explanation above).

Dude, you're a genius. Consider your salary doubled.

I have created a new DB, and manually copied the folder, and all is well. I've been able to relink and re-edit the project appropriately and all is fine with that one. I now have no missing projects.

I now have to figure out how to transfer everything else in the old DB cleanly to the new one, but at least I am one step further along - thanks.

John Paines

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 2:58 pm

You can find a recent discussion of how to move projects from one db to another here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=169221

Note in particular Dwaine's (BMD staff) response.

Or you can export .drps from the current database and either import them or drag/drop them into the new one. What you want to avoid doing is bringing in two projects with the same name (the name is embedded in the project.db file, not the named project folder).

DodsonPoston

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 11:01 am

John Paines wrote:Or you can export .drps from the current database and either import them or drag/drop them into the new one. What you want to avoid doing is bringing in two projects with the same name (the name is embedded in the project.db file, not the named project folder).

Well, based on my success with the missing project, and restoring it by moving the Windows folder manually, I recreated the whole folder structure in the new DB simply by moving all of the existing Windows folders similarly. The Project Manager seems to be happy with this, AFAICS.

I'm wondering though if there's some updating of the various project .db files that hasn't occurred by moving stuff in the OS, behind the back of the Project Manager, so to speak?

Return to DaVinci Resolve