Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Paint Node Not Tracking

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

femirex3D

Paint Node Not Tracking

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 4:31 pm

Hi guys. I have tried different methods of tracking my paint effect with the paint node;
- modifying the stroke center with tracker position. Unfortunately, I couldn't find how to track more than one stroke at a time.
- painting on a time speed and connecting to a planar transform. The planar transform keeps giving a weird resolution.

Please, I need a solution. Thanks!

Sander de Regt

Re: Paint Node Not Tracking

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 9:17 pm

You can group the strokes you want to track or you can paint on top of an empty background and use that to track your painting.

You need to give a little bit more info on what 'a weird resolution' means to you.
I've done quite a couple of patch replacements with planar transforms, so I know it (can) work(s), but maybe something in your use case is making it weird. Any info you can provide us with, will help us help you.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Harold Tomlinson

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 4:54 am

I have seen some good video tutorials on this but basically you need to:
- add the paint node;
- add the strokes;
- switch to the modifiers tab and expand each stroke to get to the Stroke Controls:Center;
- either modify the Center with a tracker or connect the Center to an existing tracker path.

You can create the tracker with the first stroke and connect the other Centers to that one, or you can create the tracker by itself first and connect all the paint strokes to it. I find that this works better since I seem to get better tracks by doing the tracker first. I also find it easier to modify the tracker position when needed.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

femirex3D

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 1:35 pm

@ Sander Thank you for the response. Based on the resolution, viewing through the planar tracker gives a normal view but viewing via the planar transform gives a cropped view.

@ Harold Thanks.

Sander de Regt

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 4:23 pm

Glad I could help. The method Harold proposes will work, but is quite cumbersome when dealing with multiple paintstrokes. Seperating the painting and the tracking part by using a blank BG, merges and transforms will make it more flexible to work with. Especially since the 'modify with tracker' effectively hides the tracker from the tools. Using a seperate tracker gives you more control.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion