Banding in Blackmagic RAW?!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexrocks1253

Banding in Blackmagic RAW?!

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:19 pm

When I put Blackmagic Raw into DaVinci Resolve shot with my Panasonic S5 at Q5, I see more banding in the sky than the 10-bit footage in the camera. How could this be? I spent $1000 on the Blackmagic VideoAssist 12G specifically to get less banding and more flexibility out of my files, but they have as much banding as if I were to shoot V-Log in 8-bit. This is after simply converting them to Rec.2020 for HLG delivery. The same thing happens on a Rec.709 Gamma 2.4 timeline. I have no idea what to do.
What will you create today?

Alexrocks1253

Re: Banding in Blackmagic RAW?!

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 pm

I do have a still that I have grabbed from the editor but it seems that uploading attachments is broken right now. Every time I try to upload the picture, it acts the same as if I had refreshed the screen and doesn't add the picture.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:31 pm

Banding shouldn't be an issue. How are you viewing it? Mac/PC? Internal viewer or external monitor?

How are you doing the conversion to Rec.2020? If you're using any LUT you need to set Project Settings > Color Management > 3D lookup table interpolation to Tetrahedral.

Does the banding persist if you render a file?

Alexrocks1253

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:35 pm

I am using an internal viewer with no render cache or something else that would normally cause temporary banding. I will try a render now.

I used the Color Space Transform to transform the color space to Rec 2020 with saturation compression on so that the colors don't spill like they sometimes do without it.

Alexrocks1253

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Banding shouldn't be an issue. How are you viewing it? Mac/PC? Internal viewer or external monitor?

How are you doing the conversion to Rec.2020? If you're using any LUT you need to set Project Settings > Color Management > 3D lookup table interpolation to Tetrahedral.

Does the banding persist if you render a file?

Rendered it out. No banding. Thank goodness. So that solves my worry about the BRaw quality. I'm just wondering how to remove the banding in the preview window and the clean feed? I've tried 8-bit and 10-bit precision viewers but they appear the same. Would it be something in the raw settings?

roger.magnusson

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 11:05 pm

Two things come to mind, Camera RAW Decode Quality (although it's normally "Full res.") and Preferences > User > Playback Settings > Performance mode. If Performance mode is enabled it can downgrade quality on the fly in order to maintain playback speed. It doesn't affect renders.

Alexrocks1253

[Solved] Blackmagic RAW is fine, preview was problem.

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 am

I will look into it! Thanks very much for your help! If it slows down my performance, I'll just use color cache so that it plays back smoothly. If I can just figure out Resolve's mysterious render crashes, I will be all set on everything it has to offer!

Alexrocks1253

Performance Mode didn't change anything visually

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:14 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Two things come to mind, Camera RAW Decode Quality (although it's normally "Full res.") and Preferences > User > Playback Settings > Performance mode. If Performance mode is enabled it can downgrade quality on the fly in order to maintain playback speed. It doesn't affect renders.

Checked performance mode and that doesn't seem to be the culprit. Very odd... I will keep looking into this.

Return to DaVinci Resolve