BMPCC4k & Rode VideoMic Go II

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Laniakea

BMPCC4k & Rode VideoMic Go II

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 10:18 am

I have a BMPCC4k and have just purchased the new Rode VideoMic GO 2. I haven't unboxed the mic yet (as I may need to take it back) because I've just thought the BMPCC4k won't be able to power this mic? Can I use this mic on the BMPCC4k through it's 3.5mm input or not?
Resolve Studio 18.6.2
MacOS 13.5.2
2 x Apple Studio Monitor
MacStudio M1 Ultra 128GB/2TB SSD 48c
BM Colour Mini Panel
2 x G-Drive Professional 7.68TB SSD (TB3)
GTEC-8TB RAID 0 (TB2)
WD 6TB HDD (USB 3)
Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre USB-C AI
3 x Yamaha HS7 (3.1)

Richard Knight

Re: BMPCC4k & Rode VideoMic Go II

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 10:47 am

I don't think the BMPCC 4K has any plug in power on the 3.5mm input.

wemrick1

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 11:34 am

Good question. I looked on B&H and the power requirements are not well defined. Phantom power is typical from cameras using an xlr input. The description just says it will run on power from the trs mic jack on a camera. No mention of phantom power. If you don't want to take the chance of unboxing it and trying it, then contact either the seller or Rode for further definition. I would think being a trs output it would work fine with the 4k but I can't guarantee that obviously.

Laniakea

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 11:42 am

wemrick1 wrote:Good question. I looked on B&H and the power requirements are not well defined. Phantom power is typical from cameras using an xlr input. The description just says it will run on power from the trs mic jack on a camera. No mention of phantom power. If you don't want to take the chance of unboxing it and trying it, then contact either the seller or Rode for further definition. I would think being a trs output it would work fine with the 4k but I can't guarantee that obviously.

thanks for that.. I've just came across this thread that has added further confusion (I added this question there too incase this thread was missed!): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101400

I guess I just need to hear from someone that's got one of these mics and has already used on the BMPCC4k!
The fact that I cannot find any answers to this question makes me feel I'm missing something i.e either the answer is an 'Obvious Yes' or an 'Obvious No!!!' lol
Resolve Studio 18.6.2
MacOS 13.5.2
2 x Apple Studio Monitor
BM Colour Mini Panel
GTEC-8TB RAID 0 (TB2)
WD 6TB HDD (USB 3)
3 x Yamaha HS7 (3.1)

wemrick1

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Laniakea wrote:
wemrick1 wrote:Good question. I looked on B&H and the power requirements are not well defined. Phantom power is typical from cameras using an xlr input. The description just says it will run on power from the trs mic jack on a camera. No mention of phantom power. If you don't want to take the chance of unboxing it and trying it, then contact either the seller or Rode for further definition. I would think being a trs output it would work fine with the 4k but I can't guarantee that obviously.

thanks for that.. I've just came across this thread that has added further confusion (I added this question there too incase this thread was missed!): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101400

I guess I just need to hear from someone that's got one of these mics and has already used on the BMPCC4k!
The fact that I cannot find any answers to this question makes me feel I'm missing something i.e either the answer is an 'Obvious Yes' or an 'Obvious No!!!' lol

I was rambling on that thread as well. I agree with you. It should be a simple Yes or No answer. Too much deception in marketing today for that to be true. "Oh my, it didn't work? Well try this other one! Give us your money"

Robert Niessner

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 3:16 pm

I have two PCC4ks and one PCC6k Pro. And I do have a Rode Video Micro and a VideoMic NTG.
The cameras do supply power to the Video Micro but its audio levels can be a bit on the low side in this combination.

If you can and are willing to then send the VideoMic Go II back and replace it with the far better - but more expensive - VideoMic NTG which will give you healthy audio levels with the PCC4k and has it's own built-in battery.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 4:41 pm

Have a look at this

Deity Microphones V-Mic D4 Hybrid Analog/USB Camera-Mount Shotgun Microphone
$99.00

AAA battery

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gKoE_D_BwE

Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Laniakea

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 5:05 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I have two PCC4ks and one PCC6k Pro. And I do have a Rode Video Micro and a VideoMic NTG.
The cameras do supply power to the Video Micro but its audio levels can be a bit on the low side in this combination.

If you can and are willing to then send the VideoMic Go II back and replace it with the far better - but more expensive - VideoMic NTG which will give you healthy audio levels with the PCC4k and has it's own built-in battery.

Exactly what I was thinking!! Thank you everyone for your responses, they were very much appreciated.

Merry Xmas!!
Resolve Studio 18.6.2
MacOS 13.5.2
2 x Apple Studio Monitor
BM Colour Mini Panel
GTEC-8TB RAID 0 (TB2)
WD 6TB HDD (USB 3)
3 x Yamaha HS7 (3.1)

Return to Cinematography