Update : What is the best layout for editing Portrait Video?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jamedia

Re: What is the best layout for editing Portrait Video?

PostSun May 15, 2022 10:48 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Vertical video is everywhere, including video wall ads. Someone has to produce them and why would BMD hold their users back? They will probably adjust eventually.

You can do vertical video in Resolve NOW. Certainly in V17. There is a preset for it.. The probem the OP has is that he is using a single small (laptop?) screen. The solution is to use a 2nd screen as the clean feed to get a bigger picture. Problem solved.

the other suggestion is that TikTok stops its restrictive practices and permits horizontal video like Faceboook and Instagram does.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

peterjackson

PostSun May 15, 2022 10:58 am

jamedia wrote:
roger.magnusson wrote:Vertical video is everywhere, including video wall ads. Someone has to produce them and why would BMD hold their users back? They will probably adjust eventually.

You can do vertical video in Resolve NOW. Certainly in V17. There is a preset for it.. The probem the OP has is that he is using a single small (laptop?) screen. The solution is to use a 2nd screen as the clean feed to get a bigger picture. Problem solved.

the other suggestion is that TikTok stops its restrictive practices and permits horizontal video like Faceboook and Instagram does.
No, it's not the universal solution. It's just the work around you want people to take so that BMD could save precious dev resources to make you happy instead of working on features others care. You act like a child, really. And please stop whining how you want the world / instagram to be. If want them to change go to their forums and cry there?
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

jamedia

PostSun May 15, 2022 11:05 am

peterjackson wrote:
jamedia wrote:

No, it's not the universal solution. It's just the work around you want people to take so that BMD could save precious dev resources to make you happy instead of working on features others care. You act like a child, really. And please stop whining how you want the world / instagram to be. If want them to change go to their forums and cry there?

There are a LOT of features a lot of other people are asking for that don't have workarounds.
At the moment it is perfectly possible, in Resolve, to work around the limitations of Tiktok.
If you don't like it complain to tikTok.

Instergram does take both vertical and horizontal video now.
Tiktok seems to tbe the problem so why are you whining here?
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

peterjackson

PostSun May 15, 2022 12:10 pm

jamedia wrote:
peterjackson wrote:
jamedia wrote:[quote="roger.magnusson"]
Vertical video is everywhere, including video wall ads. Someone has to produce them and why would BMD hold their users back? They will probably adjust eventually.

There are a LOT of features a lot of other people are asking for that don't have workarounds.
At the moment it is perfectly possible, in Resolve, to work around the limitations of Tiktok.
If you don't like it complain to tikTok.

Instergram does take both vertical and horizontal video now.
Tiktok seems to tbe the problem so why are you whining here?[/quote]The only problem here is ignorant and arrogant people like you using feature requests of others as catalyst to cry about the word they want to be different. I know it's hard for you to accept, but you are not the center of the universe and neither TikTok nor anything else will change because of your backward narrow minded opinion you're unfortunately stuck with.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

jamedia

PostSun May 15, 2022 12:27 pm

[quote="peterjacks]The only problem here is ignorant and arrogant people like you using feature requests of others as catalyst to cry about the word they want to be different. I know it's hard for you to accept, but you are not the center of the universe and neither TikTok nor anything else will change because of your backward narrow minded opinion you're unfortunately stuck with.[/quote]

I will leave it to others to decide who is whining.
www.JAmedia.uk

peterjackson

PostSun May 15, 2022 12:34 pm

Yes, let's go for a beer. Can't believe I got caught in such a downhill thread again ;)
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

roger.magnusson

PostSun May 15, 2022 12:37 pm

jamedia wrote:

You can do vertical video in Resolve NOW.

I think everyone in this thread understands that. Resolve has had a custom timeline resolution option for years.

dre1tist

PostSun May 15, 2022 3:20 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:Dear all, thank for replying.
I'm sorry, this not debating of portrait or landscape shoot. Well, actually, almost all of people here prefer portrait shoot, how to make DR workspace/layout for flexibility for editing in portrait.
I have tried many times but i can not figureout.
The example is like this one :

how to do that?

Uli Plank

PostMon May 16, 2022 12:06 pm

It's a mockup.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

okiewardoyo

PostMon May 16, 2022 1:35 pm

dre1tist wrote:
okiewardoyo wrote:Dear all, thank for replying.
I'm sorry, this not debating of portrait or landscape shoot. Well, actually, almost all of people here prefer portrait shoot, how to make DR workspace/layout for flexibility for editing in portrait.
I have tried many times but i can not figureout.
The example is like this one :

how to do that?

it's Adobe Premiere workspace. I'm adobe user in my office too.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

okiewardoyo

Re: Update : What is the best layout for editing Portrait Vi

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 5:49 pm

Hi all,
Adobe Premiere add builtin workspace for Editing Portrait Video.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere ... p/12969823
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

rNeil H

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 6:23 pm

I'm a OLD guy. And I find "jammie's" comments annoying.

Yea, I do everything horizontal. But there's a TON of horizontal social media out there these days.

Can you do horizontal on Ig now? Yes.

But most is still vertical 5:4. A lot of Facebook is still vertical or square. And Tiktok is a major player in socials at this time.

If a company or individual is working at building their brand, they need to be seen as is fashionable. Including going for trendy at times. If that's the market they're going for.

I have some younger friends (30 somethings, professionals in their vocations) here in Oregon that pretty much roll their eyes or outright laugh at people holding a phone horizontal for stills or video.

It's here, now, and those producing pro social media have to not only use it but be proficient at it.

And Resolve has so many UI things locked down besides this. But Resolve is as stuffy over UI things as modern socials are experimental. Sigh.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Sean Nelson

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 10:33 pm

rNeil H wrote:I'm a OLD guy. And I find "jammie's" comments annoying.

Seconded. By a 67-year-old. Who always shoots in landscape mode.

Saying that portrait isn't a thing is like saying tampons aren't a thing. YOU not needing them has nothing to do with the rest of the world.

Saying that Resolve can do portrait mode video ignores the problem, which is optimizing screen real estate for more users.

Saying that Video Clean Feed on a second monitor is the solution ignores the issue that "clean feed" means you can't use the on-screen controls required for so many operations. Not to mention that having to buy hardware to address a software limitation is an indication that the software is, in fact, limited.

There's a valid need for a more flexible UI. It would make Resolve a better product.

It may not come, because Resolve is funded by hardware sales to an industry for which this isn't a big issue. But trying to tell people they're wrong because they want something different than you just shows that, at best, you're out of touch.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

DavidVogt

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 11:16 pm

It seems to me that this is really a resource issue. BM can afford only so many software engineers, and they can work on so many things. With the flow of bugs and feature requests, I don’t see that it makes much sense for them to invest resources in a vertical format screen display.

The tools in Resolve already are huge overkill for any vertical videos I have seen, or expect to see. The time the average viewer spends watching videos is 16 sec, not features or tv series clearly.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

Nick2021

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 6:07 am

I thought things like smart reframing that came with v17 (I think) was a nod to vertical. I'd guess most of the Resolve users aren't starting with vertical source media. It's being cropped out of 16x9 or DCI recordings.

Everything from a repurposing a commercial for phone ads to creating a phone trailer for the latest blockbuster movie.

jamedia

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 8:33 am

Well Neal and Sean we have established that we are all of a similar age.

For all almost all of of my working life I have been working with and designing technology which didn't exist before I left shool. So I am very well aware of how things change.

Reaolve does handle vertical video.
The problem is the OP wants to do it on a single small screen. That is not Resolves problem. I do normal 16:9 video which became the defactor standard for TV's about 20 years ago. However find it is not easy on a small laptop screen and use two monitors. (three some times) The probelm isn't vertical or horizontal but the OP trying to do video on a single small screen.

Whilst vertical video will be popular woth some people for a while I think it will die out faster than you timk. In the last 60 years I have seen technology come and go. Including many things that were going to change the world that now, 15 years on, no one remembers.
Last edited by jamedia on Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.JAmedia.uk

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 8:48 am

Like Stereo 3D? It was tried 3 times in film history.

I second what you said about screens. I hate to work even in 16:9 on a laptop and always connect more and bigger screens where I can.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

eikonoklastes

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 am

Uli Plank wrote:Like Stereo 3D? It was tried 3 times in film history.

Sure. But the majority of people in the world didn't carry around 3D-capable displays in their pockets.
Until mobile phones go away, portrait video is here to stay, regardless of legacy beliefs about what video should be.

eikonoklastes

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 11:02 am

jamedia wrote:The probelm isn't vertical or horizontal but the OP trying to do video on a single small screen.

No, the issue is the grotesquely inefficient UI layout when working with vertical video, that cannot be configured into a better state, unlike other apps, where it's effortless to do so.

The OP highlighted the issue very succinctly with the screenshot they posted in the original post, without mentioning anything about screen size.

Edit: just went through all of the OP's posts in this thread and there's no mention of screen size anywhere, so that's quite the straw man.

Tom Early

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 11:09 am

eikonoklastes wrote:The OP highlighted the issue very succinctly with the screenshot they posted in the original post, without mentioning anything about screen size.

Edit: just went through all of the OP's posts in this thread and there's no mention of screen size anywhere, so that's quite the straw man.

If the screenshot is anything to go by, his screen is absolutely tiny.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

jamedia

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 11:33 am

Tom Early wrote:
eikonoklastes wrote:The OP highlighted the issue very succinctly with the screenshot they posted in the original post, without mentioning anything about screen size.

If the screenshot is anything to go by, his screen is absolutely tiny.

Yes but some are fighting a religious war here. The OP also mentioned he used a Laptop. So typically 13-15 in screens (yes I know you can get 17 inch screens) He also mentioned he doesn't have a 2nd screen.

I find a laptop (with 15 inch scree) is not ideal for editing video Though Resolve lets you do both Vertical and horizontal (and square) video.
So Resolve does let him edit the format he wants.

The religious argument about vertical video is seperate and I think having watch tends over 50 years is that vertical will dissapear in the medium term.

After all that is probalby is time that BMD updated the UI a bit.
www.JAmedia.uk

eikonoklastes

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 2:51 am

You guys seem to keep attempting to deflect the issue to screen size, while straight up ignoring the actual issue, that I will reiterate here - the UI layout, when working with portrait video in Resolve, is extremely inefficient and clunky because the rigid (outdated) paradigm that Resolve uses for its UI makes it impossible to emphasise the viewer without mandating a second monitor.

Here, again, are comparison screenshots, with matching layouts and timeline heights, of Resolve's UI vs a modern, more capable UI (that took a few seconds to set up from a landscape starting point):

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 4:21 am

Have a look at LightWorks then, it is highly configurable.

Nick2021

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 5:40 am

eikonoklastes wrote:
Here, again, are comparison screenshots, with matching layouts and timeline heights, of Resolve's UI vs a modern, more capable UI (that took a few seconds to set up from a landscape starting point):

Now imagine you're starting with 16x9 source and need to create 9x16.

Obviously for somebody starting with 9x16 they're better off with what you're showing but what percentage of the Resolve user base does that?

Sean Nelson

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 6:12 am

Nick2021 wrote:
eikonoklastes wrote:Obviously for somebody starting with 9x16 they're better off with what you're showing but what percentage of the Resolve user base does that?

That's a spurious argument - the percentage of Resolve users who shoot in portrait mode might very well be small precisely because Resolve's UI isn't very well laid out for editing portrait mode video. That says nothing about how many people actually shoot portrait mode video and would like to use Resolve if it were better optimized for them.

Portrait mode video is a vanishingly small percentage of the traditional cinematography industry that Resolve caters to. But it is an increasingly popular way to shoot video globally. And while most of those users aren't going to go anywhere near a product like Resolve there are still an awful lot of content creators who could.

I personally get really annoyed at portrait mode video. But I learned long ago that just because I think something is best done a particular way doesn't mean everyone else agrees. Trying to tell someone else what they want is one of the reasons there's so much discord these days.

Nick2021

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 9:59 am

Sean Nelson wrote:That's a spurious argument .

It's not. Any feature improvement is taking resources from other parts of the program. Is Resolve better fixing something for a small minority? Or fixing something for most users?

I'd also say it's not about outputting 9x16 or editing 9x16. It's about an UI fix aimed at small laptops .

Your argument could be changed to ask why is Resolve not being made to run on lower end hardware? I'm sure there is a large number of people who would love to run it on under powered laptops.

jamedia

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 10:18 am

Nick2021 wrote:

It's not. Any feature improvement is taking resources from other parts of the program. Is Resolve better fixing something for a small minority? Or fixing something for most users?

I'd also say it's not about outputting 9x16 or editing 9x16. It's about an UI fix aimed at small laptops .

Your argument could be changed to ask why is Resolve not being made to run on lower end hardware? I'm sure there is a large number of people who would love to run it on under powered laptops.

+1

You CAN edit vertical video in Resolve now. It is just that the OP wants to use hardware that is nor suitable for doing it.

The number of people wanting to edit vertical video in Resolve on a small laptop is going to be very small. There are very many other things the majority of Resolve users will want to have fixed first. I think that by the time the doing the UI for vertical video for editing on small screens gets to the top of the pile the use of vertical video will have receded.

That said it is probalby time that BMD updated their UI though I think most of us would prefer they concentrate all the other functional features first. BTW looking at the history of Resolve I think they may need to get the architecture behind the UI sorted first before re-doing the UI. Remember Fairlight (audio) and Fusion (effects) were bought in from other places only 4/5 years ago. I susspect they are still harmonising those in to one homogeniou code base and improing the internal work flow. That is why V17 and V18 were getting faster When that is done they will be able to re-do the UI.
www.JAmedia.uk

Sean Nelson

PostThu Jun 09, 2022 2:34 am

Nick2021 wrote:

What you're saying is that because the user base is small there isn't a good reason for BM to make the change. That's a perfectly reasonable argument, but it's not what I was saying.

What I was saying is that just because the Resolve user base is small doesn't mean there aren't a lot of users out there that shoot in portrait mode and would like Resolve to improve the interface.

Two different things.

I agree that BM probably doesn't have much motivation on the issue. What I disagree with is the idea that the people who want the change are somehow wrong for wanting the change. Their expectations may be unrealistic, but they have valid concerns.

eikonoklastes

PostThu Jun 09, 2022 11:58 am

Nick2021 wrote:Now imagine you're starting with 16x9 source and need to create 9x16.

I'm glad that you brought this up because Resolve is even worse in this scenario, because it inexplicably applies the Timeline aspect ratio to the Source Viewer.

Furthemore, and even more inexplicably, if you open the Inspector, it disables the Dual Viewer mode even if you have an ocean of horizontal space available.

Now lets see how a more capable UI fares. Inspector open? Check. Media Pool? Check. 16x9 source visible with correct aspect ratio? Check. Plenty of vertical timeline space? Check. Nice, large Timeline Viewer? Check.

There's been talk of "religious wars" here and I can only surmise that to be the case for defending Resolve's UI capabilities, because I cannot fathom a rational position for it, in the face of overwhelming evidence that superior systems exist, and have existed for many, many years now, while we're in here telling people "Why don't you just get a second monitor?"

Dave Shortman

PostThu Jun 09, 2022 2:56 pm

I'm not attacking or defending here but if these other more capable bits of software work for you and you own them, then why not use them?

I guess you ultimately just want resolve to be as UI flexible as the other software as do many others, I fortunately have never used any other video editing software apart from Windows Movie Maker and Pinnacle Studio from time we used Mini DV camcorders so I can live with it's fixed UI.

I would also point out I don't do portrait videos so yes obviously I can just get away with it, I sympathise with your position but I've been using Resolve since version 12 and been visiting these forums and I have seen an ask for a totally moveable UI. It ain't happened yet and I doubt it will happen in any timeframe you are happy with, so I guess it's just live with it or leave it?

Gordonjcp

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 7:24 am

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a second, it sounds like if someone took one of the open-source editors like Shotcut or KDEnlive and wrote a patch to give it a Vertical Video, then you'd see that one gain a lot of "market share" and you'd be a hero to a generation of Tiktok-ers. Anyone want to buy some old C++ textbooks?

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 9:15 pm

+1
Vertical video is now a common use case. I hope Resolve comes up with a simple and elegant way to handle it. No need to support arbitrary undocking and rearranging to do so.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Sean Nelson

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 1:01 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:+1
Vertical video is now a common use case. I hope Resolve comes up with a simple and elegant way to handle it. No need to support arbitrary undocking and rearranging to do so.

...although fully customizable panels would, in fact, solve the problem and be really nice for other reasons too, IMHO.... ;)

Andres Mata

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 4:54 pm

Well, ignoring that the world consumes TONS of content vertically in their phones, and that a lot of us work for clients that want their products and productions to be showcased IN VERTICAL to their audienes/potential customers... is just being blind.

We are asking for a more comfortable layout for us working with clients that require these formats. Nothing more, nothing less.

With all the amazing features DR can do, it seems like being able to change the interface layout shouldn't be that difficult to make.

+1 for vertical video interface layout!!

jamedia

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:15 pm

Andres Mata wrote:Well, ignoring that the world consumes TONS of content vertically in their phones, and that a lot of us work for clients that want their products and productions to be showcased IN VERTICAL to their audienes/potential customers... is just being blind.
We are asking for a more comfortable layout for us working with clients that require these formats. Nothing more, nothing less.
With all the amazing features DR can do, it seems like being able to change the interface layout shouldn't be that difficult to make.
+1 for vertical video interface layout!!

What was being asked for was to be able to do vetical on a very smal screen. Resolve does vertical now it is just not that good on a 13 inch screen. How many professionals will be using Resolve on one 13 in screen?
www.JAmedia.uk

okiewardoyo

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 6:33 am

May be, Vertical Workspace is not really important thing for now.
Vertical Workspace Resolve.jpg
Vertical Workspace Resolve.jpg (450.79 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

The above is "Vertical Video Workspace Enable in 1 screen", but for now no like this in Resolve. :D

Steve Alexander

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Nice one, Okie :-)
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

jamedia

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 1:35 pm

I can do vertical in Resolve as well, looks good on a 24 inch screen Of course I normally run a clean feed to another 24inch screen
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (195.6 KiB) Viewed 2210 times

The problem comes when, as the OP wants, is to run it in a single 13inch screen. If you are serious about vertical video and doing it professionally it won't be on a single 13 inch screen.
www.JAmedia.uk

eikonoklastes

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 5:59 am

jamedia wrote:How many professionals will be using Resolve on one 13 in screen?

Well, how many professionals use Resolve on an iPad? World's changing, man. Resolve needs to be flexible enough to keep up, or get left behind with the cranky old men and their rigid interfaces.

If Blackmagic can do an entirely different version of Resolve for a new device category, I think they can pull off a UI change to allow for display of full height vertical video.

eikonoklastes

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 am

jamedia wrote:I can do vertical in Resolve as well, looks good on a 24 inch screen Of course I normally run a clean feed to another 24inch screen
Capture.JPG

Looks good to you, but looks awful to me. Look at all that wasted UI space in the viewer doing absolutely nothing.

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 7:24 am

Can we please settle on square? ;-)

jamedia

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 9:51 am

Uli Plank wrote:Can we please settle on square? ;-)

: :o :D
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 10:19 am

eikonoklastes wrote:
jamedia wrote:How many professionals will be using Resolve on one 13 in screen?

Well, how many professionals use Resolve on an iPad? .

I would have said none use an iPad as their main edit device. It would be used as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th screen to show ideas to clients.

eikonoklastes wrote:World's changing, man.

"man" is a syle of speach fromthe last century that didn't make it out of the 1970s. the world has changed.

eikonoklastes wrote:Resolve needs to be flexible enough to keep up, or get left behind with the cranky old men and their rigid interfaces.

Neither does it want to follow fickle fashion. Did you want a Resolve interface to BeBo and MySpace?
There are many features a lot of people are crying out for that will be in the ToDo list way ahead of the very very small number of people who want vertical video on one very small screen.

eikonoklastes wrote:If Blackmagic can do an entirely different version of Resolve for a new device category, I think they can pull off a UI change to allow for display of full height vertical video.

I would agree that a re-arange of the UI so a vertical screen is possible can be done but I doubt it is a priority for many people. Those who are doing vertical video professionally will be using multiple large screens not a single 13 inch screen as their main development system.
Last edited by jamedia on Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.JAmedia.uk

Steve Alexander

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 1:22 pm

I have no skin in the game as I don't edit vertical video but I did just notice that LumaFusion for the iPad handles a vertical video mode making use of the full screen height. Not saying that Resolve should try to 'keep up' with LumaFusion but it's hard to deny that on that platform, adapting the layout for vertical video would be useful.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Tom Early

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 7:20 pm

jamedia wrote:

"man" is a syle of speach fromthe last century that didn't make it out of the 1970s. the world has changed.

It's still in use today actually and who are you to criticise how someone speaks? Stay on topic. The world of video IS changing, vertical video IS getting increasingly popular, and it WOULD be good if Resolve could better accommodate that, both in terms of the viewer layout, as well as how non-16x9 videos are displayed in thumbnail views, and how source files that do not conform to the timeline aspect ratio are displayed in the source viewer. Your own opinion on vertical video itself? Not at all relevant.

jamedia

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 7:47 pm

Tom Early wrote:
jamedia wrote:

It's still in use today actually and who are you to criticise how someone speaks?

I can critisize as much as some one who says "get left behind with the cranky old men and their rigid interfaces."

Tom Early wrote: Stay on topic.

Whoi are you to tell me what to say?

Tom Early wrote: The world of video IS changing, vertical video IS getting increasingly popular, and it WOULD be good if Resolve could better accommodate that, both in terms of the viewer layout, as well as how non-16x9 videos are displayed in thumbnail views, and how source files that do not conform to the timeline aspect ratio are displayed in the source viewer.

Yes video is changing in some aspects but as with some constants some whon't change.

However your opinion on vertical video itself? Not at all relevant to anyone but you.
www.JAmedia.uk

philipbowser

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 7:54 pm

+1 for Okie's idea. Would love to see more UI layouts that favour different types of content / editing styles.

I agree that there are other feature requests I'd prefer to see implemented before this one, but I must admit there are numerous times where I wish Resolve's UI had more flexibility or catered to vertical content more. This would be a step in addressing many of the other UI feature requests that call for more layouts / customization.

I'm not sure why some people seem to be so aggressively against the idea of supporting editors who create vertical content, but the fact is vertical content is EVERYWHERE. I'm not talking about amateur TikTok creators either, I'm talking about huge commercial campaigns for the world's largest brands. Almost every brand in existence these days uses social media for advertising, and most social media platforms prioritize vertical content for phones. How are these any less relevant or "professional" than a commercial you see on TV? Am I not a professional editor because I also edit vertical McDonalds commercials? Do we not think that Resolve should strive to best facilitate a video format that the advertising industry has so obviously adopted?

You're mistaken if you think smart phone devices and the content that appears on them are "fickle fashion". So let's stop using this as the basis for your arguments against having a vertical layout option. We get it, you don't make vertical content and you wouldn't use this UI feature. Move on.

jamedia

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 8:35 pm

Tom Early wrote:Your own opinion on vertical video itself? Not at all relevant.

Ranting at me in Private messages telling me I should behave how you want on a forums simply means I think less of you than I did.
You opinion on anything isn't relevant to me.
www.JAmedia.uk

Tom Early

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 12:08 am

jamedia wrote:
Tom Early wrote:Your own opinion on vertical video itself? Not at all relevant.

Ranting at me in Private messages telling me I should behave how you want on a forums simply means I think less of you than I did.
You opinion on anything isn't relevant to me.

It's not how *I* want, it's about the rules. And why exactly did you not reply to me there?

Steve Alexander

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 1:21 am

I'm thinking of buying some cylindrical lenses to wear while I work on vertical video segments. Once I get over the nausea, it'll be great.
Time Traveller
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve