avoid duplicate clips in master bin

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PeterWilliamLeMans

avoid duplicate clips in master bin

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 10:54 am

Hi everybody,

first of all let me thank you for joining this group.

I'm in the process of evaluating DAVINCI RESOLVE, before buying.
There are some questions I will ask in the near future.

I started a project and added some clips with CTRL-I. All clips are 4K, so I use "optimized media".

Question 1:
When adding new clips/footages, it seems, that DAVINCI RESOLVE does not recognize the existing clips in the master bin and adds the clips a second time.

How can I avoid this?
Or is there a way to find and remove duplicate clips?
Could not find an appropriate answer, so I'm asking.

Thanks in advance
Peter

Jim Simon

Re: avoid duplicate clips in master bin

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 4:45 pm

PeterWilliamLeMans wrote:How can I avoid this?

Pay attention to what you're doing and don't import the same clip twice.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 4:53 pm

PeterWilliamLeMans wrote:
Question 1:
When adding new clips/footages, it seems, that DAVINCI RESOLVE does not recognize the existing clips in the master bin and adds the clips a second time.

I believe your're mistaken. You cannot add the same clip to the same bin more than once. If you drag that clip from the media pool into another bin, you could, which is to be expected.

Also, you've supplied no information about your system or your footage, but you might not want to assume that you absolutely must create Optimized Media.

PeterWilliamLeMans

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Thank you, Jim and John.

I have a bunch of clips, so it takes much effort to avoid adding duplicate clips.
The screenshot attached shows 3 extra clips I added just for demonstration purposes (CTRL-I)
DAVINCE does not refuse to add these clips.

best regards
Peter
Attachments
davinci1.png
davinci1.png (416.5 KiB) Viewed 4944 times

PeterWilliamLeMans

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am

Any ideas?
What can I do better?

Thank you all.

Peter

charlyarias

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 11:43 am

Im completely agree, I can’t understand this behavior in Davinci, it’s annoying

rhrn.ch

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 1:14 pm

+1 for the OP

Jim Simon wrote:

With that attitude, we would still be cutting celluloid by hand. Technology is supposed to make our lives as humans easier. We're not machines, we make mistakes. Just like you're probably not an Academy-Award-Winning director or colorist, I'm not someone who's *not* able to make small mistakes like these.

This problem is solvable with a few lines of code so why shouldn't it be done?

Geoff_C

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 4:37 pm

@ OP1
Which version of DVR are you using?
Using 18.1.1
Took note of specific clips in bin. With Bin selected; R click & select import media. From open window selected first 2 clips & last 2 clips again. No duplicates were added.

Carelessness does not come into it. DvR seems to be functioning correctly.

Fairly new user this end (12mnths) but it does seem to pay off taking a disk image before updating as it makes it easy to roll back if the newer version has a few quirks. Update prior to 18.1.1 caused my timeline icon to become grey scale & distort. Program was otherwise use able but did not inspire confidence. Looking at the forum my experience was shared by 1 other but fixed in next update.
DVResolve Studio.(18.1.3)
Sys 1 Gig Z370-HD3, i7 8086K @ 5.0 Ghz 16gb ram, 250gb SSD, 3x2Tb hd plus 1TbSSD for render cache, GTX 4060 8Gb BMIP4k video out. (PS 750W)
Drivers IGPU 31.0.101.2125, nVidia 31.0.15.3742 NLE Edius 8WG, Win 10Pro (22H2)

Mark Foster

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 pm

this thread is 3 years old ;- )
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

charlyarias

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 4:46 pm

rhrn.ch wrote:+1 for the OP

Jim Simon wrote:

With that attitude, we would still be cutting celluloid by hand. Technology is supposed to make our lives as humans easier. We're not machines, we make mistakes. Just like you're probably not an Academy-Award-Winning director or colorist, I'm not someone who's *not* able to make small mistakes like these.

This problem is solvable with a few lines of code so why shouldn't it be done?

completely agree!!!!!

Steve Alexander

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 5:09 pm

Paying attention to what you are doing is also good advice. There are countless things that can go wrong if you aren't paying attention. This is why colonists and editors establish a series of workflow steps to help them remember to get everything setup correctly, etc. Anything Resolve can do to help is appreciated but there is no substitute for process (a systems approach).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Sunlit777

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 8:37 am

2023 has arrived and our bins are still choke full of duplicates with no smart way to get rid of them. If you create a new bin and copy some videos there, then EVEN the smart bin that collects just "all video clips (with or without audio)" shows duplicate clips - apparently it collects them from 2-3-4 (as many bins with copies you created) and lists them all as separate clips, which is insane.
Please Davinci give us some way to organize Media - if you copy a clip to another bin it does not mean you create a fresh independent copy - you just copy a reference link to original file to one more bin.
Smart bins also should not list multiple instances of one and the same reference link.

rhrn.ch

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 7:13 pm

Hopefully we can get more attention on this from the dev team.

Just ran into a situation today where the rushes had been mismanaged by the DIT and there were many duplicates in the import folders. Spent a good half hour sorting.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 8:49 pm

Sunlit777 wrote:...if you copy a clip to another bin it does not mean you create a fresh independent copy - you just copy a reference link to original file to one more bin...

This is simply incorrect. Each clip copy is treated as independent metadata (as well it should). It just happens to point to the same source file on disk. This is by design. When starting out with Resolve, you need to be aware of this or else you may go down the wrong path organizing your clips, I would think.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Marc Fisher

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 12:03 am

if you use 1 folder for Gfx, lets say, and try to bring the same file in twice, DR wont add another file. only 1 can exist in a bin.
We do a lot of Graphics overlays, and there is no way to keep duplicates out otherwise. dated folders, named folders.. they all get confusing. 1 master GFX folder. actually works.. learn how to use the search function if needed. And let's hope that the Revisions are named correctly, so new versions aren't named the same a previous versions.

Peter Cave

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 12:53 am

The Master Bin is intended to show ALL media in the project.
It is not intended to be a bin for editing purposes.

An example of the usefulness is:

I use bins to organise my media into logical groups. I also need the same clips in different bins so I can change clip attributes on one set of clips, such as audio channels, alpha channel settings etc.

During the edit I need access to both sets of clips for different purposes.

The Master Bin will reveal to me at a top level, all the duplicates side by side.

It's a design choice that allows more flexibility when editing.

You may not like it, but I use it's features on a daily basis and would hate any change to the way it works.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:12 am

Steve Alexander wrote:Paying attention to what you are doing is also good advice. There are countless things that can go wrong if you aren't paying attention. This is why colonists and editors establish a series of workflow steps to help them remember to get everything setup correctly, etc. Anything Resolve can do to help is appreciated but there is no substitute for process (a systems approach).

I think this is the right idea. We really, really stay on top of media during conforms (and/or color sessions), and we work hard to eliminate duplicate media and other conform trainwrecks. It does require paying close attention and being aware of everything. We trust nothing and check everything. This helps make later Media Management that much easier, and if a clip is missing, if it's well-organized and the structure is simple and logical, you can track down the clip that much easier.

Sometimes, there are duplicate clips that are not duplicate clips, because the client has re-rendered a clip with the same file name, only made a change in it. In a case like this, we determine a way to distinguish the original clip from the copy actually used in the project.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rhrn.ch

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 2:23 pm

I mean, methodical workflow and care is always good to have in a production...but, like I said, sometimes you get client footage that isn't very well organized. With dublicate in multiple foders. And as a small time creator, it expends a big chunk of time doing something that could be automated. A duplicate avoidance system would need a checksum verification to avoid rejecting files with the same name but different content...yet it's not exactly top-secret technology!

Steve Alexander

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 pm

So you are talking about duplicate media, correct? I thought we were talking about duplicate clips (where the clips themselves point to the same media file). In either case, a mechanism for duplication detection would be useful, I suppose.
Time Traveller

rhrn.ch

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 7:57 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:So you are talking about duplicate media, correct? I thought we were talking about duplicate clips (where the clips themselves point to the same media file). In either case, a mechanism for duplication detection would be useful, I suppose.

Yes...In this case it is duplicate media. Although I have had the duplicate clip problem too. I just meant to say that it's sometimes difficult to have a nice ideal workflow if you're a freelancer or working with small teams...

sines

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 12:23 pm

Despite the age of this post, it's still an issue, and we all make mistakes :P

Borrowing the idea of After Effects's "Consolidate Footage" would be great for those of us working on things as large as.. a feature. I'm petrified of blowing away a duplicate clip only to find out that it was a critical part of an edit in a compound clip or nested timeline. The way Resolve handles this is.. less than elegant.
Todd Sines, director
+ SCALE
http://scale.la | http://toddsines.com
connecting the space between + within.

Bananavocado

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 11:14 am

I thought the feature already exist in DR for some reason.

As of today, I'm still manually deleting duplicate media, what a time to be alive

Yasser Saeed

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 4:38 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

No body is perfect so you are not helping anyone with such attitude :(
HP Z2 Mini Workstation
Display: HP Z27 QHD DreamColor
CPU: i9-10900K @3.70GHz 10 Core
GPU: Radeon Pro WX3200
eGPU: Core X RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB
NVMe SSD: OS 2TB, Data 4TB
NLE: DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6

Yasser Saeed

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 4:39 pm

PeterWilliamLeMans wrote:Thank you, Jim and John.

I have a bunch of clips, so it takes much effort to avoid adding duplicate clips.
The screenshot attached shows 3 extra clips I added just for demonstration purposes (CTRL-I)
DAVINCE does not refuse to add these clips.

best regards
Peter

I tried replicating your problem but could not do it as in my case, I can not add the same clip to the same bin so nothing gets duplicated!

Maybe it is a feature that can be turned on or off, but not sure!
HP Z2 Mini Workstation
Display: HP Z27 QHD DreamColor
CPU: i9-10900K @3.70GHz 10 Core
GPU: Radeon Pro WX3200
eGPU: Core X RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB
NVMe SSD: OS 2TB, Data 4TB
NLE: DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve