Wish list for the broadcast G2

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert721

Wish list for the broadcast G2

PostSat Dec 24, 2022 11:21 pm

The ability to switch from gain to iso in the menu when using the Ursa in a more cine setup.
BMDPCC 6k Pro
Ursa Broadcast G2
Ursa Mini 4.6K G2

Win 10 pro
Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS PROART X570-CREATOR
Dual Zotac GeForce Rtx 2080Ti

Steve Fishwick

Re: Wish list for the broadcast G2

PostMon Dec 26, 2022 10:58 am

Yes I +1 this too but it's not really a deal breaker since it's relatively easy to cross reference gain to 'iso'.

I would like SMPTE colour bars too, instead of the much less useful EBU ones and the ability to record them also with tone too. It's not necessary for line up any longer but I have always liked to run 30' of bars at the head of a tape/card as a sort of precheck and an instant post check all is good too.

Also speaking of the ability to record, I would like the ability to record a signal from SDI in like so many ENG cameras have always done, rather than just studio return feed.

BennoZ

PostMon Dec 26, 2022 9:48 pm

What I’m really missing on all BM camera’s is to listen mono at the headphone output.

Robert721

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 5:43 am

One other nide update would be smooth gain. Rather than abrupt changes in gain it would be nice to see it smoothy increase or decrease. Yep its found in the Sony Z280 and I do miss it.
BMDPCC 6k Pro
Ursa Broadcast G2
Ursa Mini 4.6K G2

Win 10 pro
Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS PROART X570-CREATOR

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 1:44 pm

An add on audio wireless receiver slot, that other eng cameras have often integrally, that could be recorded to 3/4 audio tracks (that have been teased for a long time), or at least using 4 channels of AES, would be stellar. Something along the lines of this:
61zIGslAwfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61zIGslAwfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (113.74 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

mix effects

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 1:55 pm

Hello everyone,

Here is my wishlist

As I am using ursa broadcast G2 in multi cam setups remote control is mandatory.

I would like to have more controls on the camera control panel such as the saturation. Other functions are only accessible on the cam body and it is not convenient in live situations. The pixel sensor calibration for exemple also the recall of a lut or the monitoring output options. Or the cards formatting options. I would like a function to recall LUT as well.

Centralized recording start and stop is crucial so it’ll be very convenient to add such controls on the panel as well. It is already working with the Atem mini or a third party control like middle control but it is not implemented into the constellation… so a record button on the ursa control panel will be great with of course the feed back of the status and the left space on CFAST or sd cards, all of this on the camera control panel.

The little screens on the camera control panel are underused it would be wonderful to get a replication of the status screen of the ursa.

On the cam itself I would like to have the option to setup a passcode to lock the menu config. This is to prevent any mistakes. Camera operators access the menu to configure some user functions like viewfinder overlay on the front SDI… but as the menu is on a touchscreen and as the monitor menu contain also the main output mistakes are often made by camera operators. So a password to access the setup record main output will be great.

In the same spirit a setup to deactivate the record button on the cam is more than mandatory. In multicam setup, camera operators can inadvertently stop the record by pressing the VTR button on the lens grip or by pressing the return 2 on certain zoom demand grip especially with box lenses. So it is critical to deactivate this function to prevent any stop recording in multicam. Or an option to lock the rec and ask to confirm stop.

A second audio PGM way through the com will be useful when the cam is used with a commentator. this way we can pass N-1 through this way.

A skin detail correction will be nice too.

Even if this is a great cam there is a bunch of other stuff I would like to add to the URSA.

I think BMD should think this cam even more for multicam operations.

For the G3 I think BMD should implement a motorized ND wheel to be remote controled and an effect filter wheel. I think they should realease a tool to use the cam system without an Atem and keep all the functions including tally and third party com via the sub d25 connector.

Cheers

Robert Schemitsch

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 8:02 am

Just some minor wishes:

- Return PGM on the side flip LCD without affecting the viewfinder
- Intercom PTT on the camera body when in use with the fiber converter (now it is a crazy move to the back when the camera is on shoulder)
- Select return (PGM) audio as audio source for recording

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 am

Robert Schemitsch wrote:Just some minor wishes:

- Intercom PTT on the camera body when in use with the fiber converter (now it is a crazy move to the back when the camera is on shoulder)

If you have setup your Lens buttons correct in the Menu. You should be able to do PTT from your lens. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Schemitsch

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 10:13 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
Robert Schemitsch wrote:Just some minor wishes:

If you have setup your Lens buttons correct in the Menu. You should be able to do PTT from your lens. ;)

Over the lens button? I tried it over the F-Buttons but it did not work - have to check it with some of the lens buttons, thank you daniel!

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 12:53 pm

I have seen it work with a Digital HD Canon lens. But everything must run latest firmware. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert721

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 1:57 am

Lets add another USB-C. if you use ssd recorded or another ssd derive you cant use the studio lens control. If you use the older ssd unit you can't use the main SDI out. Maybe in the G3.

Maybe the shockless/smooth gain could be a firmware fix?
BMDPCC 6k Pro
Ursa Broadcast G2
Ursa Mini 4.6K G2

Win 10 pro
Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS PROART X570-CREATOR

LouisBacker

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 11:40 am

Robert721 wrote: Maybe the shockless/smooth gain could be a firmware fix?

Agreed, our Canons and Sonys can do just that.

I would also like to see SRT being an option over bandwidth-hungry and background-dithering RTMP. Our Canon PTZeds have recently enjoyed a free SRT firmware upgrade and the improved 1080p stream quality is remarkable, even via a single 4G modem.
Last edited by LouisBacker on Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 12:40 pm

Some of the requests here, whilst definitely useful in a live broadcast situation would make a G3, quite a bit more expensive and I hope personally not to have motorized ND filters, never had them on an eng camera and if the 6K Pro is anything to go by they could prove less than reliable, but I do like the suggestion of an extra filter wheel, perhaps for easy fitting of an OLPF.

One obvious thing that may be overlooked, is perhaps the need for a better sensor, particularly in regards to rolling shutter. The G1 was 9ms, whilst the G2 is over 15ms, even with UHD crop and B4 lenses. This makes it a more difficult proposition for sports etc. I would want to retain a Super35 interchangeable mount configuration at 6K or more but a faster readout would be very welcome.

Robert721

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 2:20 am

Rolling shutter definitely needs attention.

I would much rather have a waveform monitor rather than a histogram.

I don't have the studio viewfinder but I would consider it if it had options like the Feelworld 4K ultrabright 7" It has a lot of options such as waveform, vector scope, histogram and parade view.
BMDPCC 6k Pro
Ursa Broadcast G2
Ursa Mini 4.6K G2

Win 10 pro
Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS PROART X570-CREATOR

mix effects

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 8:10 am

Hi,

One more thing which will be useful is the feed back of the focus and the zoom position in the view finder. Obviously it will depend of the lens and it’s ability to send infos but with lenses such as canon B4 UHD or canon ciné servo it would be possible as it send this kind of data… so I assume it will be not complicated to implement these feed back on the OSD of the view finder ( the little one and the studio)

Return to Live Production